Author Topic: COSTELLO & RYAN - Tipperary  (Read 13241 times)

Offline Fionaheff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COSTELLO & RYAN - Tipperary
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 20:55 BST (UK) »
Your Costello family were baptised and married in the following records in Kilcommon Church which was the local church for the Hollyford area at this time. Hollyford parish was administered by the priest at Kilcommon. If you need anymore help please get in touch.

Thomas Costello married Bridget Hayes on 1st March 1892 sp Patrick Davern and Margaret Hayes.
Their children were Thomas born 6/01/1893 sp John Costello and Bridget Carey
Mary 24/07/1894 Sp William Ryan and Elizabeth Green

Thomas Costello Reafadda was born to Thomas Costello and Bridget Ryan in 15/12/1864 Sp John Ryan and Johanna Carey.
Thomas Costello and Bridget Ryan were not married in Kilcommon Church. Their other children were:
Bridget Costello born 08/03/1855 Sp Thomas Ryan and Anne Ryan
John Costello Born 02/11/1857 sp Daniel Ryan and Honora Connell
Mary Costello Born 01/11/1861 Sp Daniel Connell and Mary Costello
Then Thomas was born
Michael was born on 21/05/1866 Sp James Carey and Bridget Ryan - A total of 5 children.

There is no birth record for Thomas Costello who married Bridget Ryan in 1864. The first Costello is recorded in 1816 and the first Costello in Reafadda is 1829. The family are the children of John Costello and Mary Kennedy but they don't appear to be the only Costello family living there at the time. I hope this helps with your research

Offline sgibbons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 May 14 18:00 BST (UK) »
I may be related to this particular family of Thomas Costello and Bridget Ryan. I believe Bridget was from Doon. My ggrandfather William Costello married Honora Stack in 1841 (both from Glengar, Doon). There was a Denis Costello also born in 1863 living in Glengar to William Costello and Mary Stack, which could be Honora Stack's sister. Wondering whether this Denis could be from a second marriage between my ggrandfather William and Honora's sister?

There were also a few other Costello's in Doon parish that may have been brothers or cousins of my GGrandfather William Costello, but I can't confirm this.
 1. John Costello married to Judy Ryan abt 1835 (can't locate their marriage record)- lived in Glengar.
 2. Michael Costello married to Judy Kennedy abt 1833 (can't locate their marriage record)- lived in Foilycleara.
 3. Edmund Costello that married Johanna Nolan in 1846- lived in Glengar and Toomaline.
 4. Nicolas Costello married to Honora Ryan abt 1827 (can't locate marriage record)- lived in Clogher.

The common names of eldest sons were either Thomas, John or Martin. The common names of eldest daughters were either Honora, Bridget or Judy.

I also found baptism records online for a William Costelloe (born 1816) and Mary Costelloe (born 1818) in Cappawhite records. Their parents were John Costelloe and Judy Ryan. Their was also a John Costelloe born in 1816 in Cappawhite records with parents John Costelloe and Bridget Ryan (witness Mary Ryan). Their was a related Cappawhite marriage record of John Costelloe to Bridget Ryan in 1809 with witnesses Laurence Costelloe and M. Ryan.

Does anyone have any clues on how these familiies or individuals are connected?

Any insights would be welcome! Thanks.

Offline Shay123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 March 18 17:04 GMT (UK) »
There are millions of Ryans in this area, perhaps best to look for more distinctive names linked with them to reduce your numbers. I am interested in Crowe / Crough and in some areas the linked Ryans amount to 40% of marriages.

I have a Judith Costello married to a Walter Crowe children 1837 - 1854 Clonoulty (adjacent parish)

Reafadda is northwest of Clonoulty

Seamus Crowe
Crowe, Crough, Croagh some Croak and Crow
Ireland mainly Tipperary / Limerick (where the name variations occurred most) but I have many all Ireland collections of data etc.