Author Topic: Grice Ancestry  (Read 6203 times)

Offline cyndy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grice Ancestry
« on: Sunday 25 November 07 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Please can anyone help with finding the ancestry of William Grice born at Kingsley? about 1834. Married Mary Hesford of Stretton in 1855. I have been sent a great deal of info on the Grice family but can`t see this particular William.
Thanks Cyndy

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grice Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 November 07 17:28 GMT (UK) »

An obvious question would be:

what has your source used to deduce the age and birthplace of William?
Are there any other William () around which this 'new' one  could actually be?

You're the one with the "great deal of info on the Grice family"

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 November 07 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cyndy

Are you absolutely certain that he married Mary Hesford in 1855 ?

Looking at the 1861 and 1871 census returns in Shropshire for the married couple it looks more likely to me that he married Mary Ann Heesom in 1855 at Toxteth Park St James :-\ Their first child, John James, was born in Liverpool (West Derby) in early 1856.

His wife is always shown as Mary A on later censuses. On the 1851 census there is a Mary Ann Heesom of the correct age from Stretton.

On the 1861 census William is shown as being born in Cheshire with no specific town. In 1871 it says he was born in Kingsley, Cheshire. By 1881 he has died. So we only have the one specific reference to Kingsley after he married.

DS ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cyndy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 07 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your response to my post.
What may seem `obvious` to experienced researchers is not necessarily so to those like myself are fairly new to family history.

I was enquiring on behalf of `an other`who had spotted my Grice interest on the Cheshire Ancestor.My link with the Grice family is only through my g.grandmothers second marriage to a Grice. There were no children of that marriage so my search stopped for awhile. I was then contacted by living relatives of my g.grandmother s second husband and it is their family history that I have access to. Before I pass this on to my new enquirer I must get their permission. In the meantime I thought Rootschatters might help me out.

DS  I`ll pass on your info. to my enquirer. Hopefully it will help with his research.
Again many thanks.
Cyndy

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cyndy

From the way that you phrased your original enquiry, I had assumed that you (and your contact) were already in possession of the census information after William married.

Having now read your last response I am not too sure. Therefore, if you do not already have the 1861 and 1871 census entries and you would like them, please let me know and I will post the details for you.

There is only one William Grice from Kingsley showing on the 1841 and 1851 censuses. His birth year is indicated as 1830/31. On the face of it he is too old to be the William who is shown on the later censuses married to Mary A, but he is also the only William Grice from Kingsley shown on those two returns. It is possible that they could be the same person.

The 1841 census shows him with parents called James and Mary. James was an Agricultural Labourer. The marriage certificate for William should indicate his age and who his father was.

I still think that William married Mary Ann Heesom but if you and your contact are not convinced about this then it might be necessary first to get the birth certificate of one of his children in order to ascertain his wife’s maiden name (unless, of course, he has already done this and knows for certain that it was Mary Hesford).

Someone on Genes Reunited (called Robert) has William Grice born 1833 Kingsley on his tree. If this is not your contact it may be worth his while to check this out.

DS ;)

Offline Doggy

• RootsChat Member
  • I'll do anything for a scooby snack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cindy

Have you tried this site:

http://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/cgiwrap?user=cprdb&script=fullrec

If you have already I apologise, but you can never assume.  There are quite a few Grice's in there and a William in 1833.  Not sure how local though?

Cheers

Doggy
JONES,DRURY,CHESHIRE,LATHAM,EDWARDS North Wales Cheshire.  BOWKER,TOWLER Yorks,Lancs.  WILLIAMSON,GEE Cheshire. HOLMES Staffs. PERKS,LEWIS Salop. TURNER,GRACE,SAGER Lancs. KNAPPY Yorks.BURROUGH somerset.BOWKER,STAHAN Canada
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cyndy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 November 07 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doggy,
I`d like to look at the website that you sent but when I try it tells me that I haven`t made a selection and to go back to the previous page.I don`t think that I can do that. Please can you help.
So far I haven`t had any response from the person who originally asked for my help about William Grice which is a pity.Never mind I have many other relatives in Cheshire so your suggested website could be useful to me.
Cheers, Cyndy

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 November 07 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think that this link will allow you to use the site properly...

http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

It takes a bit of getting used to. In order to search you should click on the word “Database” on the left and then select Baptism, Marriage or Burial from the ensuing page. You might need to read through some of the other pages first before you can understand how the search facility works and what is available.

Hope that helps (a bit)

DS ;)

Offline cyndy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 December 07 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thankyou for this. I have managed to get into the site. Have only had a quick look at births on the parish register. Most of my ancestors are connected with St. Mary`s{?}Halton. Do you know which parish I can look for them in?The family name is BATE.
Cheers, Cyndy