Author Topic: Grice Ancestry  (Read 6196 times)

Offline Doggy

• RootsChat Member
  • I'll do anything for a scooby snack!
    • View Profile
Re: Grice Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 December 07 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cyndy

I've just had a quick look and there are many Bate families on the site but I can't see any for Halton.  Maybe the Runcorn area isn't transcribed yet?

Perhaps you might want to give me a specific name and approx birth and I'll see what I can do as there are other resources to look at also,

Cheers

Doggy

JONES,DRURY,CHESHIRE,LATHAM,EDWARDS North Wales Cheshire.  BOWKER,TOWLER Yorks,Lancs.  WILLIAMSON,GEE Cheshire. HOLMES Staffs. PERKS,LEWIS Salop. TURNER,GRACE,SAGER Lancs. KNAPPY Yorks.BURROUGH somerset.BOWKER,STAHAN Canada
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cyndy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 December 07 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Thanks for yourhelp. Yes there are a lot of Bate family on the site.

Could you try WALTER BATE 1863-1892

WALTER married MARY STOKES DEC.25th 1889 in ST. MARY`S PARISH CHURCH ,HALTON.I have a copy of the marriage certificate.

This should help discover if the Halton Parish records have been transcribed.

In 1907MARY BATE[widow] Married THOMAS JOHN GRICE[widower] in Halton church.

Like my late father WALTER BATE I was also baptised at St. Mary`s Halton.In 1941.

My plan is to make a visit to Halton next year and do some on the spot `detective work` and look up old haunts from my childhood.

Very many thanks,
Cyndy[Cynthia]

Offline Doggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 December 07 10:24 GMT (UK) »
No joy I'm afraid Cyndy.

There are a few likely candidates on http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/cheshirebmd/index.html

The csc.liv site only goes up to 1870's and I think the project is an ongoing one.

Cheers

Doggy
JONES,DRURY,CHESHIRE,LATHAM,EDWARDS North Wales Cheshire.  BOWKER,TOWLER Yorks,Lancs.  WILLIAMSON,GEE Cheshire. HOLMES Staffs. PERKS,LEWIS Salop. TURNER,GRACE,SAGER Lancs. KNAPPY Yorks.BURROUGH somerset.BOWKER,STAHAN Canada

Offline cyndy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 December 07 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for trying.
Cheers, Cyndy

Offline Doggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 December 07 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There are a couple of possibilties on FreeBMD

BATES - Walter -  Warrington 8c 164 = JUN QTR 1863
BATE - Walter - Warrington 8c 161 = JUN QTR 1864

How sure are you of the date?

Cheers

Doggy

Offline cyndy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 December 07 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
I think that the dates I gave you were for Walters birth which on the 1871 census which says Aged 8,birth abt.1863.I have his marriage certificate which shows his marriage to Mary Stokes in 1889. Walters age is given as 27 years so he could have been born in 1862.

I haven`t any documentry proof of Bate family members before Walter, only census records which take me back to James in 1841.With help from rootschat I may have got back as far as Jonathan m.Betty/Elizabeth Gross in 1778. It`s a shame that the website you recommended has not transcribed the b.m.d details for Halton Parish. My ancestors seem to have stayed very close to their roots over the years so it`s been quite easy to trace them.

I think it`s time for me to purchase some more certificates!!
Many thanks for your continuing interest.
Cheers, Cyndy

Offline CynthR

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 August 10 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Cyndy,
I am relatively new to genealogy and also to this site (found it through Google) but I am fairly certain that the William Grice you were enquiring about in Nov/Dec 07 is my great great grandfather. I have managed to trace my mother's family tree back to William but no further. I was wondering if you ever managed to find out any more about him and his predecessors, as that would be very helpful to me. William's son, John, lived and worked in (mostly) Wrockwardine Wood, Shropshire, as a coal miner. He married Ellen Ashley, and they four sons (three of which, Orlando, Edward and James, died in the Great War) and two daughters, Elizabeth and MaryJane (my Grandmother).
I do look forward to hearing from you (we also share a name!)
Cynthia

Offline cyndy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 August 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Cynthia,
 I`m not sure that I can help. My great grandmother`s second husband was Thomas Grice they married in 1907. Thomas is descended from Samuel Grice b.c.1777 Kingsley Cheshire. Samuel had a son William b. c1807 Kingsley Cheshire. William`s descendants seem to have lived in Cheshire until emigrating to Australia and finally new Zealand.
It doesn`t seem to fit the details of your great great grandfather William Grice. Good luck with your research. Do get in touch if you think I can helpin the future.
Cyndy

Offline Bartmarsh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I'm very new to this site. Here goes for my information
My great grandmother was Fanny E Grice of Moxley then Staffordshire married Roland Hammond my mom's grain and grandad
Her father was William B Grice born 1852 Bilston Staffordshire
His father was Henry Grice 1831 of Roden Heos High Ercall Shropshire
His wife Mary a Grice 1827 of Bilston Staffordshire
They lived at 29 High street Madeley
Hope this helps regards Karen