Author Topic: farish poss canonbie  (Read 8234 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: farish poss canonbie
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 November 07 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Nixon, pauper, single,  died Nov 5 1886, Canonbie, aged 77. her parents were Joseph Nixon, collier (reputed father), deceased and Mary Wilson, deceased. Informant - Robert Jackson, grandson.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 November 07 11:16 GMT (UK) »
From the censuses these appear to be the known children of Elizabeth Nixon:

Robert Little, circa 1830
George Farish, circa 1834
Devina Farrish, circa 1838
Margaret Beattie, 1840
Ann Irvine, circa 1843
William McGlasson, circa 1850

I'm now wondering if the Thomas Irving, informant on George's death cert, might have been a half brother  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 November 07 18:50 GMT (UK) »
thanks gadget.
this is my line i think !

i haveMary Wilson born 1792  (parents William Wilson and Margaret Murry)
 Mary Wilson mother of William little  born canonize c.1819 (reputed father mathew little)
William little married Elisabeth hogg
 on the 1861 census  George farish is shown living with them as cousin !

so working on what you have given me George farish's mother Elizabeth Nixon and William little are brother and sister ????????????????????????

i found William little and Mary Wilson  together on the 1851 census with her as sick nurse  in canonbie  mother unmarried . yet to find her death !

"sick nurse"   is this a person who tends the sick or is she not working because she is sick .  ????

thanks for all the info

Adrian .

LANCASHIRE :Kirkby Ireleth, Denney,Denny,Savage,Walker,Cooke,Singleton.       & Hornby/Gressingham/Heysham,  Nicholson,Mason,Clifton,Dodd.<br />WESTMORLAND: Beck,Nicholson,Airey,Armer,Herd,Langhorn,Chapman,Tyson.<br />YORKSHIRE :  Stephenson,Nicholson.<br />SCOTLAND. Canonbie,   Little,Hogg<br />IRELAND  Gallagher,Gilbert

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 November 07 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adrian

I think poor Elizabeth was maybe being paid a pittance to looking  after William Beattie - however - note  daughter Margaret Beattie, b.c.1840. It might be worth you following up to see if he was the father or a relative :-\

What a hard life they had  :'(

Gadget

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 November 07 19:50 GMT (UK) »
just  been thinking  i know that the  census only work on what info  was given at the time but  william little  would have been  george farish's uncle. if he was elizabeths brother ????

more confused now
LANCASHIRE :Kirkby Ireleth, Denney,Denny,Savage,Walker,Cooke,Singleton.       & Hornby/Gressingham/Heysham,  Nicholson,Mason,Clifton,Dodd.<br />WESTMORLAND: Beck,Nicholson,Airey,Armer,Herd,Langhorn,Chapman,Tyson.<br />YORKSHIRE :  Stephenson,Nicholson.<br />SCOTLAND. Canonbie,   Little,Hogg<br />IRELAND  Gallagher,Gilbert

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 November 07 20:50 GMT (UK) »
the William couldhave been William's son - have you checked.

Sorry - I can't help any more.

Gadget

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 08:11 GMT (UK) »
 thanks for all you have passed on gadget .   you've lost me there on which william . 

mind i am now wondering how many children mary wilson had now   if she was mother to  william little 1819 and elizabeth nixon 1803???  (could the date be wrong as mary wilson born 1792)  life did seem to be hard  and they knew how to keep warm of a night  ;D.

thanks for your help.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Adrian

I believe that this is the 1851 that you found

Birnie, Canonbie  814 ED 4 Page 8

Mary Wilson, 58, sick nurse, b. Canonbie
William Little, son,  30, coal miner, b. Canonbie

It would appear that this William is the William who describes George as 'cousin' on the 1861.

My sums suggest that Elizabeth was born 1808/09:

Died 1886 aged 77 - birth circa 1809

1881census aged 72 at 814 ED2 page 4 - birth circa 1809
1871 census aged 60 at 814 ED 2 page 6 - birth 1811
1861 census aged 53 - birth circa 1808
1851 census aged 40 - birth circa 1811
The 1841census where she is given as 35-39 (5 year age bands rounded down for that census) is the ony one that is out.

I think that the IGI patron  submission was erroneous - she didn't marry Robert Little as far as we know!

This means that Mary Wilson had Elizabeth when she was about 16 or 17 which is plausible.

I can't find Mary's death either. i'm assuming that it must have been between 1851 and 1855  :(

Gadget

Offline adrian denney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 16:03 GMT (UK) »
thank goodness for your work and  i agree whole heartedly  ................   this family just gets stranger and stranger .  with new surnames hitting at all angles ..............     do you think that  or is it most probable that mary wilson had other children  along with elizabeth and william    and again prob by different fathers     the vicar must have been busy  telling these women off  !!!

shame really i was hoping that i wouldget further back with the little side  as williams father matthew little  just doesn't show any where

thank you sooooooo much very kind  board this .

adrian .