Author Topic: Noonans of Tulla  (Read 7414 times)

Offline dragongirl

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Noonans of Tulla
« on: Wednesday 28 November 07 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Looking  for family of Mary Noonan  born Tulla 1841  moved to Wales married a Paul Donovan in Newport Gwent in 1860 came back to Ireland to have her first child Bridget in 1861,
 Paul on all Censuse just says Ireland for place of birth but family stories say they had a farm which was  taken over by the British government
         Really working in the dark any ideas gratefully recieved!! took 3 Censuses for enumerator to ask WHERE she was born and entered TOLLER County Care Assumed County Clare and Tulla any other thoughts would there be a Toller?

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Noonans of Tulla
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello dragongirl,

Tulla looks OK.

If the family completed the Census themselves they were probably lacking in literacy. 

Christopher

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 January 08 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

maybe these could be relatives of Paul Donovan

1901 census DED TULLA - TULLA TOWN (The Town of Tulla stands on the the townland of the same name)  DED NO 154/23

Hanrahan Mary  Head  RC  Age 78  Cannot Read  Lodging House Keeper  born C.Clare
Donovan Cornelius  Lodger  age 50  Cannot Read  Ag. Lab.  Married, born C.Cork
Donovan Kate  Lodger  RC  age 45  Married  Cannot Read, born C. Cork

you never know !

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 08 12:14 GMT (UK) »
There were several Noonans occupying land Tulla at the time of the
Title Applotments in 1827 - Michael, Patt., James, Patt (may be the same Patt. as named earlier) and Widow Noonan.  Do you have any clue to the name of Mary's father?

While this was c. 14 years before Mary was born, any of these three (or 4) men could be her father, or grandfather. 

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 08 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Just looked at Griffiths for Tulla (c. 1855) and see only one Noonan - Patrick Noonan, living at Glendree.

Depending on which religion Mary was - if it was Roman Catholic - birth records exist going back to the very early 1800s.  You might like to write to/or ring the Parish Priest in Tulla and see if he can provide information on the Mary Noonan.

Good Luck

Offline maxswan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 09 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hello I have a Catherine Noonan.The first we know of her is when she got married in Fremantle,Western Australia in 1857.To Daniel Martin whose wife had died 6 mths earlier leaving him with 3 small children.On the wedding cert. she has down that she was from Co.Clare and her father being a farmer and called John.We have worked out that Catherine would have been born about 1832.    Thanks Max :)

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 13:58 GMT (UK) »
For what its worty;
NOONAN, FRANCIS. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers. Unit: "B" Coy. 2nd Battalion. Age at death: 20. Date of Death: 09-May-1915. Service Number: 5900. Born in Killaloe, County Clare. Enlisted in Killaloe, County Clare while living in Killaloe, County Clare. Killed in Action. Supplementary information: Son of Francis and Mary Noonan, of 6 Cottage, Newtown, Killaloe, Co. Clare. Grave or Memorial Reference: Panel 43 and 44. Memorial: Le Touret Memorial in France.

NOONAN, JOSEPH.  Rank: Pte.  Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit;1st Battalion. Date of Death:17-June-1915.  Service No:3017.  Born in Killaloe, County Clare.  Enlisted in Dublin while living in Killaloe, County Clare.   Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference: E. 38. Cemetery: Cambrin Churchyard Extension in France.

Offline Sking85111

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 March 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Good morning...I have Noonans from upper Tulla, Clare. My gggrandfather was Patt (Patrick) married to Bridget McDole ( McDowell). They had three daughters, Johanna, Bridget and Mary (Maria) and I believe they had 2 sons sons William and Michael. I was able to locate all birth records for the children but I am unable to locate Patt and Bridget at all

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 March 17 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootChat Sking85111
This is quite an old thread, from 2009, but if you post the dates of the children and where you found them someone may be able to help you find their parents marriage or explain why you can't.