Author Topic: killed in stockton?  (Read 5002 times)

Offline bustergut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
killed in stockton?
« on: Thursday 29 November 07 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am having difficulties tracing some detail about my great-grandad Charles Egerton, and hoped someone with some local knowledge may be able to point me in the right direction.
Charles was born in Manchester in 1860 and moved initially to Darlington, where he worked as a foundry labourer and lived at No. 1 Wallis Yard in 1891.
He had married Julia Adelaide Ivin in 1886, when he was a labourer and lived at Scollick's Yard, Skinnersgate.
By 1901 he was at 30, Morrison St, Stillington and was a general labourer and he and Julia had Ada (aged 12) Phillip (11), Henry (my grandad, aged 8), Charles (4), Elsie (3) and Frank (1). They later had Sarah and "Nan" I believe.
I believe Charles died before my mum was born (she was born in Luken Street, Stockton in 1926), and lived his last few years in Stockton - my mum recalls that he was killed by a hit and run driver, which must have been unusual in those days!
I have struggled to find any record of his death. His wife Julia died when my mum was a little girl, probably about 1932, and my mum remembers the funeral in Stockton.
Any hepp would be greatly appreciated

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: killed in stockton?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 November 07 00:15 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure this would have been reported in the local newspaper, the Evening Gazette. I don't know if you can ask for them to check their archives but here's their website if it's any help:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/

The Teesside Archives operate a postal service, they may be able to help:

http://www.archivesnortheast.com/archivepage/teesside-archives.htm
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline jellybaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 December 07 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi roobarb
I have searched the St Catherine's index but can't find death for Charles.  Searched 1924 to 1934 and nothing.  I did find death for Julia in Stockton, 1934.
Are you sure he died and didn't just leave her.
On 1891 and 1901 census' my gg gran said she was widowed but I found my gg grandad's death in 1918 with my gg gran as registering the death

I live in Stockton and our library has old newspapers on  microfilm.  If you manage to get a date I could look it up for you.
I will search some more years on St Catherine's
Jellybaby
Co Durham; Gillespie, Dorman, Aaron, Myers, Lockey, Heald, Hall, Habbishaw, Habbishaw, Layfield
Cumberland; Routledge
Yorkshire; Allen, Hall, Heald, Habbishaw, Routledge, Hopkinson

Offline jellybaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 December 07 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Bustagut, called you the wrong name.
I work in Stillington and one of mine lived in Stillington.  Most of the old houses in Stillington were built for the workers of Carlton Ironworks.  Small world sometimes
Co Durham; Gillespie, Dorman, Aaron, Myers, Lockey, Heald, Hall, Habbishaw, Habbishaw, Layfield
Cumberland; Routledge
Yorkshire; Allen, Hall, Heald, Habbishaw, Routledge, Hopkinson

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 December 07 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just wondered if you have searched under Edgerton?   Sometimes the name is spelt that way.  Is his wife described as a widow on her death certificate?
Andrea

Offline bustergut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 December 07 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have taken a while to reply but I have been out of the country working.
Thanks for your advice - I don't think he left her, I am sure my mum or her two older brothers would have known. I just wondered whether the accident may have happened elsewhere in the country, but so far have found no record of any death for a Charles Egerton.
I also don't think it will have been registered as Edgerton, although I will check that, as mum's family are quite particular about such things.
I contacted the Evening Gazette but so far have not had a reply.
I am hoping Santa will bring me a subscription to ancestry.co.uk for Christmas so I can have a proper search!
Thanks for you kind offer jellybaby - if I find a date I will certainly take you up on it

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 December 07 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Do check other spellings.   Many people were somewhat overawed when going to register events and did not necessarily look to see what spelling the registrar had put.  Have you found Charles in earlier census records?   The only one I could see who seems to fit in 1881 is Edgerton!    However you will know his father's name from the marriage certificate so may have found another one.
The 1891 and 1901 census both give an age consistent with a birth in 1862/63 so I wondered why you say 1860?
Andrea

Online 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 December 07 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Also as this was an accident or possible criminal case the death was probably registered by the coroner and not a family member.  Then spelling could be different.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bustergut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 December 07 22:40 GMT (UK) »
My Charles is definitely the one in Stillington in 1901, and you are right his age of 39 does indicate he was born in 1861 or 1862.
It was finding his father's name, Joseph, and his age, 25, from his 1886 marriage certificate which led me to look at 1860 or 1861.
I have tried other spellings and simply cannt find him on the 1881 census - the Charles Edgerton born in Manchester in 1862 is not him, as I spent many hours and days pursuing that course only to discover the father's name was wrong.