Author Topic: Heap surname  (Read 29415 times)

Offline rovi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heap surname
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 May 08 23:55 BST (UK) »
Mine few are in Yorkshire. Heap Bridge is near to where I live and i have never associated them. But there is a bridge there. There was a stone quarry and my husband suggests its the waste making the heaps.

Maxine

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 08:14 BST (UK) »
In Ashton u Lyne there used to be a machine tool manufacturer, Josh. Heap & Co, i last knew them c. 1960s.
                                   Bodger

Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline Mumsie2131

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Councillor John Heap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 May 08 15:58 BST (UK) »
I lived in the village of Mottram-in-Longdendale and there were 2 Miss Heaps lived quite close to us - obviously as a curious child I asked if they were related and was told 'They are the Cheshire Heaps, we are the Yorkshire Heaps'  - so I suspect that there could be Heaps originating in most Northern counties.  (very few on Roots Map south of Birmingham)
Heap - Holmfirth WRY
Rhodes-Flockton WRY & NE Cheshire
Ridgway- NE Cheshire & Lancahire
Roebuck - Upperthong WRY
Wild - NECheshire
Riley - NE Cheshire & Derbyshire
Greaves - NE Cheshire & Lancashire

Offline poppymilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 June 08 22:37 BST (UK) »
hi
i have heaps in my family 1818 from london
poppymilly
Hendricks from london
Bourlets from london

Offline donheap1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 October 08 20:56 BST (UK) »
The name Heap emanates from a Robert de Heap, who founded a settlement now known as Heap, a village near to Heywood , Lancashire. Robert de Hep was a witness to a number of Charters mainly those of Roger de Montbegon, the Lord of Hornby Castle near Lancaster (1210). Montbegon was one of the 25 Surety Barons to the Magna Carta. The only other early reference I have found is that it was the original name for the village of Shap and Shap Abbey, Cumbria. "Hep" or "Hep Hep Hep" was the battle cry of the Crusaders ( "HEIROSOLYMA EST PERDITH"). Members of Robert de Hep's "clan" settled around Rochdale, Oldham, Stalybridge, Mottram and Prestbury. He was murdered in 1246 by a Peter Carrite. It is known that he  owned land at Failsworth ( between Oldham and Manchester) which he sold to Robert Grelley the Baron of Manchester and at Leire in Leicestershire. Charles Heape of Rochdale commissioned a private book on the History of the Heape name. Copies can be found in the libraries of Oldham, Rochdale and the Library of Lancaster University.

Offline gandygut

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 October 08 20:15 BST (UK) »
My Heap family comes from the Burnley, Lancashire area (My surname is Heap). I have heard Don's origin of the Heap name before and believe it is the most likely answer. I understood that a Baron de Hep came over from Normandy with William the Conqueror.
I used to live near Heap Bridge, which was originally part of an area called Heap between Bury and Heywood in Lancashire, but could find no evidence that the Heap name emanated from there.

Offline seek2c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 November 09 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello there..there is a book on e-bay at the minute that might help anyone called Heape.

Offline stephen kay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 04:53 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any ideas as to where the surname Heap originally comes from? I've always thought that it originated in Lancashire, but have never been sure, and haven't really known where to start researching. As a former Heap, I've always been fascinated in finding out where my line may have started. Are there any other fellow Heaps out there???
The name Heap emanates from a Robert de Heap, who founded a settlement now known as Heap, a village near to Heywood , Lancashire. Robert de Hep was a witness to a number of Charters mainly those of Roger de Montbegon, the Lord of Hornby Castle near Lancaster (1210). Montbegon was one of the 25 Surety Barons to the Magna Carta. The only other early reference I have found is that it was the original name for the village of Shap and Shap Abbey, Cumbria. "Hep" or "Hep Hep Hep" was the battle cry of the Crusaders ( "HEIROSOLYMA EST PERDITH"). Members of Robert de Hep's "clan" settled around Rochdale, Oldham, Stalybridge, Mottram and Prestbury. He was murdered in 1246 by a Peter Carrite. It is known that he owned land at Failsworth ( between Oldham and Manchester) which he sold to Robert Grelley the Baron of Manchester and at Leire in Leicestershire. Charles Heape of Rochdale commissioned a private book on the History of the Heape name. Copies can be found in the libraries of Oldham, Rochdale and the Library of Lancaster University.

Offline stephen kay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 04:57 BST (UK) »
The name Heap emanates from a Robert de Heap, who founded a settlement now known as Heap, a village near to Heywood , Lancashire. Robert de Hep was a witness to a number of Charters mainly those of Roger de Montbegon, the Lord of Hornby Castle near Lancaster (1210). Montbegon was one of the 25 Surety Barons to the Magna Carta. The only other early reference I have found is that it was the original name for the village of Shap and Shap Abbey, Cumbria. "Hep" or "Hep Hep Hep" was the battle cry of the Crusaders ( "HEIROSOLYMA EST PERDITH"). Members of Robert de Hep's "clan" settled around Rochdale, Oldham, Stalybridge, Mottram and Prestbury. He was murdered in 1246 by a Peter Carrite. It is known that he  owned land at Failsworth ( between Oldham and Manchester) which he sold to Robert Grelley the Baron of Manchester and at Leire in Leicestershire. Charles Heape of Rochdale commissioned a private book on the History of the Heape name. Copies can be found in the libraries of Oldham, Rochdale and the Library of Lancaster University.