Author Topic: Rev Owen Lewis of Talsarn, Llanddeusant  (Read 11109 times)

Offline Mei

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Owen Lewis of Talsarn, Llanddeusant
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 September 10 15:41 BST (UK) »
Anne Lewis was the daughter of the rev. Owen Lewis of Penrhiw Uchaf, Llanddeusant (1788-1870) and his wife Margaret Thomas (1792-1833).
Owen Lewis was a hugely influential preacher with the Methodists in Carmarthenshire & had an iconic status in society & a charismatic character. He is mentioned in several books.

Owen's father was David Lewis Howell (1752-1794) and Owen's mother was Ann Bowen (1755-1809) of Pentwyn, Cwmwysg.

The Lewis family of Llanddeusant are descended from Owen Gethin,  the 14th centuray Lord of Glyntawe, who was in turn descended from The Prices of Dyfed & Powys.

Offline ajchambers8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 September 10 15:50 BST (UK) »
I was elated to find out about the rev & his family, I had heard my gran make mention of cleryg in the family, but hadnt realised it was on my grandads side... I hadnt found anne or known which one of the owen girls that my great great grandfather had married only that it was one of them, so I shall have to assume he was harry john or john harry harries, his son was harry as well

Offline Mei

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 September 10 17:05 BST (UK) »
my pleasure!  ;)
If I can help in any other way, I'd be happy to oblige.
By the way, I am tentatively mapping out rev. Owen Lewis' family tree. If you would like to add to it, I'd be very grateful. Here is the link:

http://owenlewis.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=owenlewis&view=0&pid=1&rand=211946860

Offline ajchambers8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 September 10 17:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks I will bookmark that! If you find out anything else about the Harries link (so many harries's in wales at that time!) please do get in touch (*) I have a public tree on ancestry.co.uk if you send me your email I will invite you!... the marriage cert for john/harry harries son should be viewable, if not I am happy to send you a copy, though it may not really be a line your following.

Do you know of any way i can verify that Harry/john Harries are one and the same person?
Angela

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 23 September 10 01:08 BST (UK) »
Angela
Recommend that you remove your email address otherwise you will get loads of spam. Better to send it via PM  :)

Morgan