Author Topic: Rhodesian Relatives  (Read 33771 times)

Offline vic1047

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rhodesian Relatives
« on: Friday 30 November 07 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Can anyone give me some advice on tracing family members who 'emigrated' to Southern Rhodesia.  Not sure if they remained UK citizens or if they became Rhodesian.

One family I am interested in has the surname Edwards, and they were in Bulawayo in the mid 1960's.  A daughter was born there and I think the father died there.  The mother returned to UK and died here in 2004.

Also, another family member's marriage ended in divorce during the late 1960s, having married in the UK. I think at the time they lived in Kitwe, Zambia (Northern Rhodesia ?).  She later re-married, I think in Rhodesia, but then moved with her husband's job to Namibia and South Africa.

I have seen the various comments about searching the South African archives, but what, if anything is available for Rhodesia/Zambia/Zimbabwe

Vic
BRINTON: Hoxton, Southwark, Bedminster
PORTER: Bath, SOM/GLS
MELLOR: Cornwall, London, Middlesex
PEABODY: Middlesex
HOLLOWAY: Middlesex

Offline SAtoUSA

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rhodesian Relatives
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Vic,

I have been working on research with relatives of my own in the former Rhodesia and the former Northern Rhodesia. The only advice I can offer is to contact the places I've listed below. The archives for Southern Rhodesia are located in Zimbabwe and the archives for Northern Rhodesia will be held in Zambia. I do not know what fees they charge but it doesn't hurt to inquire. I am afraid to say the archives are in declining condition and Zimbabwe itself is in a serious state of decline. I went the route of hiring a private researcher (a former employee at the archives in Zim) and he tells me they are down to having electricity only 3 days a week and the phone service is the same. If you would like more information about my researcher, please send me a message off the board.

Thanks and good luck!
Stephanie

For Rhodesia:
National Archives of Zimbabwe
Private bag 7729
CAUSEWAY
HARARE
ZIMBABWE
Ph: (09263-4) 792741
Fax: (09263-4) 792398

Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages
Makombe Building
Leopold Takawira St
P Bag 7734
Harare
ZIMBABWE
Tel: (09263-4) 702295

For Northern Rhodesia:
National Archives of Zambia
P.O. Box 50010
Lusaka, ZAMBIA
Tel: 260 1 250 446
Fax: 260 1 254 080

JOCKS (Pomerania, Germany, England, South Africa, Southern Rhodesia, Northern Rhodesia, Belgian Congo, Tanganyika); HERBERT (Suffolk County, England, South Africa and Southern Rhodesia); BOSHOFF (South Africa) RADEMEYER (South Africa, Southern Rhodesia) (and that's just hubby's ancestors!! :-)
WILSON (Yorkshire Co., England, Nebraska, Kansas USA) THOMPSON (Yorkshire County, England, Nebraska USA) MCCONAGHY (Ireland, New York, Kansas USA)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 08 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephanie

Has your researcher been able to purchase any BMD certs for you?

I have had rellies living in Salisbury from about 1950ish, I do know both my uncle & aunty died there, and they had 3 sons born there, so was wondering if the certs could be got.

It is sad to see the way the country has gone, I lived in Salisbury from 1972-76

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline SAtoUSA

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 08 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ken,

Yes, my researcher is getting every document he can, including wills, estates, birth, death, and marriage certificates, government compensation, military medal rolls...etc. Pretty much, any legal document with our family's name on it, he is getting.
   If you would like information about him, please send me a private message off list. Thanks.
   Yes, it is very sad to hear how things are, especially when I tell our relatives' descendants, who were all pioneers and lived there from 1894 to 1979. Now all that is left is some really good memories (and now with our researcher, some documents to go along with that. :))

Regards,
Stephanie
JOCKS (Pomerania, Germany, England, South Africa, Southern Rhodesia, Northern Rhodesia, Belgian Congo, Tanganyika); HERBERT (Suffolk County, England, South Africa and Southern Rhodesia); BOSHOFF (South Africa) RADEMEYER (South Africa, Southern Rhodesia) (and that's just hubby's ancestors!! :-)
WILSON (Yorkshire Co., England, Nebraska, Kansas USA) THOMPSON (Yorkshire County, England, Nebraska USA) MCCONAGHY (Ireland, New York, Kansas USA)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 February 08 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephanie

Thanks for the reply - PM will be on it's way soon.

Have you ever used google earth to look at the street you lived in, the place I lived in has changed so much.

Regards
Ken

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
  • 49¾ carat Diamond from Diamond Digging
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 February 10 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephanie and Ken

Not too sure if this thread is still operational?

Another "ex" from Zim who was born, breed and schooled and now has left. Our family were 1890 Pioneers, and we were the last to leave in 2004. My late fathers brass plaque in the Garden of Remembrance at Warren Hills was stolen years to to be melted down and sold. AT least I have a photo.

Please let me know if certificates are still available to be purchased. I can send a PM as requested.

regards

AussieGaz (Gary)
Shaw (born Tullyorior in Co. Down then Australia, South Africa and Zimbabwe)
Clark (born Mintlaw / New Pitsligo in Scotland then South Africa)
Taylor / Bruce (born Helenamore / Tyrie / Aberdour in Scotland)
Moody (born Warminster in Wiltshire then South Africa)
Whitehead (born Galton Point / Reigate in Surrey)
Whitfield (born Hull in Yorkshire then Kenya, South Africa and Zimbabwe)
Ellis (born Mafeking in South Africa)
Hanbury-King (born Stockton in Wiltshire then South Africa)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 February 10 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary

I did in the end make contact with someone in Zimbabwe, but they wanted something like $150 US up front to get what I wanted.  >:(

Needless to say, I still do not have what I was after, and they dont have my money  ;D

I cannot tell you who they/he was as I deleted the emails ages ago.

My uncle lived in Mabelreign and almost sure he was cremated at Warren Hills and like you the brass plaque was stolen to be melted down. 

----------------------

Just out of curiocity I have googled earthed Harare and my old School Ellis Robins, it looks in a shocking state, I remember the pristine tennis courts, the running tracks, rugby pitches even the swimming pool looks empty -- what a state the place must be in now.

Regards
Ken

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
  • 49¾ carat Diamond from Diamond Digging
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 February 10 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated. Will see what comes up as an alternative.

So an "Fush" old boy - I went to Allie Willie. Those were the days.

Harare is shocking and we made a decision of either earning stacks of cash, or having a life for ourselves and the family. Decided on the second.

Yesterday a list came out of the best and worst cities by the Economist magazine’s global liveability survey. Harare was at number 140 - bottom of the list. We had the best days of our lives.

By your user name, am I right in assuming you are linked to Manchester? My wife comes from Accrington.

Thanks again.

Gary
Shaw (born Tullyorior in Co. Down then Australia, South Africa and Zimbabwe)
Clark (born Mintlaw / New Pitsligo in Scotland then South Africa)
Taylor / Bruce (born Helenamore / Tyrie / Aberdour in Scotland)
Moody (born Warminster in Wiltshire then South Africa)
Whitehead (born Galton Point / Reigate in Surrey)
Whitfield (born Hull in Yorkshire then Kenya, South Africa and Zimbabwe)
Ellis (born Mafeking in South Africa)
Hanbury-King (born Stockton in Wiltshire then South Africa)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 February 10 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary

Sad to say but I only lived in Rhodesia from 1972-1976 and my mates made me an honouree Rhodesian, but my uncle and aunt moved there in 1950's and had and 3 kids. If I remember rightly they went to Alan Wilson, I believe one lives in New Zealand but no idea on the other 2.

MancsMan  ;) yep I am Manchester Born and Breed or Manchester Born and Red  ;D

Facebook was a god send for finding some of my old Rhodie mates who I keep in constant contact with, sadly my best mate committed suicide last year in Jo'burg  :'( if you use FB u will find a link in my profile. Rootschat also has an unofficial FB page

Best Wishes
Ken