Author Topic: Rhodesian Relatives  (Read 33673 times)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rhodesian Relatives
« Reply #27 on: Friday 20 May 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
Am after some help. I need a copy of my birth certificate. I was born in hwange and the easiest way that the embassy says in uk is to have some request it from zim. If anyone can help by getting me some information from that side it would be much appreciated. Many thanks

Hi Shane

I would suspect you have picked up on the new link http://www.bunnyhop.co.za/zimbabwe.htm

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline jeaster1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 01 October 11 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you to the person who posted the link to familysearch Zimbabwe Civil registration records. I found my great uncle's death from 1971. I would also like to see his death notice but I cannot find it amongst the records. Did everyone have a 'death notice'? His D.R was 1397/71 so I assumed his death notice would have the same number but they do not seem to go up that high. His death was registered 1st October 1971. Name: Edward John Young. Am I looking for the record in the wrong way?
Marston -Rutland/Northamptonshire/Peterborough/Essex
Hills - Kent
Cooper - Surrey/Camberwell/Wymondham
Coulsell - Surrey/St. Saviour

Offline SharonLeeJennings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Ken,

Yes, my researcher is getting every document he can, including wills, estates, birth, death, and marriage certificates, government compensation, military medal rolls...etc. Pretty much, any legal document with our family's name on it, he is getting.
   If you would like information about him, please send me a private message off list. Thanks.
   Yes, it is very sad to hear how things are, especially when I tell our relatives' descendants, who were all pioneers and lived there from 1894 to 1979. Now all that is left is some really good memories (and now with our researcher, some documents to go along with that. :))

Regards,
Stephanie

HI Stephanie - not sure how to contact you direct via this forum but am looking for information regarding your researcher.

cheers
Ange

I don't know if this will come out as a private message. Please can you help me with the Researchers contact details. I am desperate
Thank you Sharon.

Offline richardhb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 08 March 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
You posted quite a long time ago but did you manage to find anybody who could get a marriage certificate for you/
Thanks
Richard

Offline richardhb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 08 March 18 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If anybody has a contact email address for anybody who might be able to search for and obtain a copy of a marriage certificate for me from 1967 in Harare (Salisbury) would they kindly just drop me an message.
I desperately need it for a citizenship application for my granddaughter.
I haven't had any luck trying to find anybody myself and I'm sure there must be somebody there who would be glad of some remuneration for doing so.
Thanks very much.
Richard

Offline Barry12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 12 July 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you're still monitoring this old post.
There are now a couple of good online resources of Rhodesian/Zimbabwian historical genealogical interest:
Rhodesian Death Notices up until 1977 have been transcribed and can be searched by name. The resource is in FamilySearch titled 'Zimbabwe Death notices, 1904-1976', here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1838530
More interesting are the Rhodesian 'Information of a Death' reports -titled ' Zimbabwe Death Registers, 1890-1977; Index to Death Register, 1892-1977 - which give a lot of information about the person apart from the place and date of death there may be the names of his parents, spouse, when and where they married, normal place of abode, childrens' names, and the surnames of married daughters.  That is here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1837900
That resource is not yet transcribed, so must be browsed..... scroll down and click 'Browse through 74,045 images', look for the index folders for the particular surname/given names, and copy that image or print-it for reference, you'll need the D.R. numbers to find the images.
- Note there are 3 index folders to search, ie. names starting with B might be in the folders titld 'Death indexes Surnames A-B'or B-C or BH-BY, or could also be in the folder titled 'Death indexes Surnames A-Z', and furthermore could also be found in the folder titled 'Open Files'.
- Having found the D.R. or D.R.B. reference open the folder titled 'Death registers' and look for the folder for that particulat reference. Up until 1962 the ledger volumes were numbered sequentially, so D.R. 8/100 would be document 100 in ledger volume 8, but D.R. 100/63 would be in one of the folders for 1963.

Another useful resource is the Rhodesian Voter Registry 1899-1948. That comprises 10 volumes which can be browsed online (not yet transcribed, so not searchable), all accessed from this page: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/497705?availability=Family%20History%20Library

rgds, Barry

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
  • 49¾ carat Diamond from Diamond Digging
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 12 July 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Barry
Many thanks for your message out of the blue.
Much appreciated as its always good to learn of new tools and processes that are available coming out of Zimbabwe, especially as most we hear and read about the country is doom and gloom.
Thank & regards
Gary
Shaw (born Tullyorior in Co. Down then Australia, South Africa and Zimbabwe)
Clark (born Mintlaw / New Pitsligo in Scotland then South Africa)
Taylor / Bruce (born Helenamore / Tyrie / Aberdour in Scotland)
Moody (born Warminster in Wiltshire then South Africa)
Whitehead (born Galton Point / Reigate in Surrey)
Whitfield (born Hull in Yorkshire then Kenya, South Africa and Zimbabwe)
Ellis (born Mafeking in South Africa)
Hanbury-King (born Stockton in Wiltshire then South Africa)

Offline Barry12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 13 July 18 08:56 BST (UK) »
Jeaster 1,
The Death Notice for Edward John Young is found easily, just go to 'Zimbabwe Death notices, 1904-1976' here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1838530

In the Search box type in surname 'Young' and Death '1971-1971' (seeing as you know that), and his is then number 3 in the results.
That gives his place of normal residence, age, country of birth, place of death, marital status, number of children, occupation, intended place of burial, cause of death and duration of ilness, and the medical practitioner and funeral directors.

That D.R.1397/71 is in this collection 'Zimbabwe Death Registers, 1890-1977; Index to Death Register, 1892-1977', here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1837900
You find it by clicking the following links from that page:
>Browse through 74,045 images
>Death registers
>1971, #1001-1400.
So that image number 1397, and the first image in that folder is 1001, so that image could be around 1397-1001= page 396 in that file,so that would be where to look first (in actual fact it is page 408 of that volume). Look at the number on the top of the form, calculate how many pages you need to jump forwards or bacjwards, and then you'll reach the image you want.
The URL for that page is: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939N-CX3W-16?i=407&wc=M6LS-KTL%3A163032901%2C163432301&cc=1837900

rgds, Barry

Offline Ware

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 21 September 18 14:25 BST (UK) »
Born in Kitwe, my Mum worked for TREVOR CONSTRUCTION in 1948 in Northern Rhodesia (it is a South African company that were building homes near Blantyre, Sunnyside at that time). Does anyone have any information on this company, I have tried so many traces.