Author Topic: Rhodesian Relatives  (Read 33685 times)

Offline Leda_nlopes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rhodesian Relatives
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Leda I am looking for information relating to my grandmother ancestors that were in Rhodesia Salisbury her name is Elizabeth Whitaker Vaughan.
I have very few details on her past I know her mother's name was Dorothy Grace Whitaker and her father James Arthur Ghan Vauhgan. I would like to obtain her birth certificate because it would mean a lot to my father. I would appreciate any advise...

Offline Leda_nlopes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephani

I saw your post i was wondering if you could tell me how you did your research i am a begin er so any help is welcome.

Rgards

Leda

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
  • 49¾ carat Diamond from Diamond Digging
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Leda

I have received some news about a person who lives in Zim and who might be able to assist us all.
Have not had time to look into it much yet, however will let you know the outcome.
regards
Shaw (born Tullyorior in Co. Down then Australia, South Africa and Zimbabwe)
Clark (born Mintlaw / New Pitsligo in Scotland then South Africa)
Taylor / Bruce (born Helenamore / Tyrie / Aberdour in Scotland)
Moody (born Warminster in Wiltshire then South Africa)
Whitehead (born Galton Point / Reigate in Surrey)
Whitfield (born Hull in Yorkshire then Kenya, South Africa and Zimbabwe)
Ellis (born Mafeking in South Africa)
Hanbury-King (born Stockton in Wiltshire then South Africa)

Offline Bindura

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 May 10 20:23 BST (UK) »
New to this but am hoping to find out details of my birth (specifically time of birth)in 1955. I have a very aged paper copy that is falling apart but it has an entry # and the date it was registered in what was then Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia. Is it possible to access any info from records on line or do I have to contact the Registry of Births in Zimbabwe......which I'm thinking (considering the state of affairs over there) may not even have records going that far back any more...... ???
Any info on how to go about this would be appreciated! (Also what about shipping records between South Africa and the UK in 1976?)

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 May 10 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Bindura

I would say that your first port of call would be the BDM in Harare. The country is full of surprises. I have no idea if records would be kept by the archives or by the individual maternity hospitals.

On the shipping records, i am still trying to get clarity on arrivals in South from the UK and also Australia. If anything worthwhile comes up, I will share the sources and let you know the progress.

regards

Gaz

Offline Lorand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 May 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi all you Rhodies,

So sad reading about the state of affairs in Zim and I suppose it can only get worse....ditto for S Africa.  I lived in Salisbury from 1948 - 1974 and my grandparents and father in law are buried at Warren Hills - too sad to think about the desecration of graves.
I have tried every avenue in trying to obtain info. of my dad's family, oringinally from S Africa and went to Southern Rhodesia in 1948.  I need his parents full names and hopefully these will appear on migration lists.
Does anyone know if I can get names from the immigration lists. I have tried to get bmd's from S Africa, but no help there either?

Many thanks
Lorand
McCall, Arnott, Ness, Galloway, Balfour, Botes

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorand

Reference to your post.

My late father was buried in Warren Hills in '82. Heavens knows what it might be called now!! Luckily we happended to get a photo of his bronze plaque in the Garden of Remembrance, cause this was stolen to be melted years later. Sums up the situation.

Probably a silly comment, but have you anything from your Dad vis-à-vis to his parents and death certificates or notices? Even his birth certificate which would mention his parents name. The Registrar Generals office which I think was in still in Makombe Building when we left Zim, might have a record.

regards

Gaz

Offline Lorand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaz,

Thanks for the help.  My dad was born in Kimberley and unfortunately I don't know his mother's maiden name nor his father's first names, so very hard to get a certificate there. My birth certificate - also S African, does not state my parents names, so not sure if others would prior to 1940's. My dad died in Durban in 1985 and I have tried archives there hoping his death cert. would reveal his parents full names, but to no avail either. His parents died in S Africa.  It was my maternal grandparents who are buried in Warren Hills.
I might try Ancestry 24 as I believe they have a few new websites.
Lorand
McCall, Arnott, Ness, Galloway, Balfour, Botes

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 May 10 13:03 BST (UK) »
I would suggest trying this web site and then making contact by email to see what, if any, response you get:

http://www.moha.gov.zw/rg_death_births.php

but as everyone has said the state of affairs there dont bode well for you getting anything ,
 however you might be lucky enough to get someone who actually does some work there !! regards Damsel

New to this but am hoping to find out details of my birth (specifically time of birth)in 1955. I have a very aged paper copy that is falling apart but it has an entry # and the date it was registered in what was then Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia. Is it possible to access any info from records on line or do I have to contact the Registry of Births in Zimbabwe......which I'm thinking (considering the state of affairs over there) may not even have records going that far back any more...... ???
Any info on how to go about this would be appreciated! (Also what about shipping records between South Africa and the UK in 1976?)
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin