Author Topic: george barton allen from larne  (Read 8085 times)

Offline janbubblegum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
george barton allen from larne
« on: Saturday 01 December 07 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi can anybody help me find any info on george Allen born around 1897 he had a sister Lil and I know he married in Liverpool in 1920 he died in an accident in 1934 and as his son was very young at the time he doesn,t know anything about his fathers family in Larne .He would dearly love any info as he is getting on himself !!! any ideas anyone? thanks very much Jan

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: george barton allen from larne
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan,

Five people named Allen signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912.

Eliza Allen, 39, Circular Road, Larne 
James J. Allen, Larne 
Marcy A. Allen, Invermore, Larne 
Robert Allen, Fleet Street, Larne Harbour 
Willie Allen, 48, Glynn Road, Larne

Christopher

Offline janbubblegum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 October 08 19:54 BST (UK) »
thanks christopher for that info ,I now have some names to go on .anymore ideas on what I should do next? I,m the type who just ends up going round in circles and coming up with what i,ve already got! anyway I will try those names and i,m thinking that maybe with Barton as his middle name maybe it was his mums maiden name thanks again christopher if I have any success I will let you know thanks Jan

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 October 08 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,
 I think a good starting point to find more about this person's father and ultimately locate the birth in Ireland - is to first get this person's father's marriage certificate in Liverpool  to find out who  he states that his father was at his time of marriage   - otherwise it is a lot of  guesswork with just a name to go on and you could end up with a totally wrong line.

you say I know he married in Liverpool in 1920 - I think you need that marriage certificate to see what he says for father, also to gain witnesses name, and hopefully some sort of *age (* if you're lucky!!) , and occupation of father etc

If you need help looking up the1920's  marriage in the England and Wales BMD's to order the certificate from GRO , could  you give a little bit more info , there are  plenty of people on rootschat who have subs to the indexes who probably wouldn't mind trying to locate  the  entry for you ( including myself). Do you know the woman's surname who he married in the 1920's?
Hope that is of some help
Kind Regards:)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline janbubblegum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 October 08 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher
 Do you know I never thought to ask Jimmy if he had his mum and dads marriage cert so I have now got him on the job finding it ! I hope I can go on and help him as all my family lines have dried up and this is the only thing I can get my teeth into. While I am on (and your so knowledgable) do you know anything about the latter day saints family history centres? I have been told there is one about a mile away from me but I don,t know wether you can go to them also do you know what has happened to the LDS batch numbers for the parishes? I found this a fantastic resorce but now I can,t get on to it any ideas? Thanks for all your help and look forward to future advice too Thanks Jan

Offline janbubblegum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 October 08 13:42 BST (UK) »
HI Cell
sorry, thank  YOU for that info didn,t look properly and christopher has been a big help too
thanks again Jan

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 October 08 13:57 BST (UK) »
jan,found this marriage,it could be his parents.

JAMES ALLEN TO MARY BARTON 5-4-1890 @ LARNE METHODIST CHURCH LARNE, ANTRIM.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline janbubblegum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary
That looks very promising doesn,t it!!!!! thanks so much for that I will let you know how I get on . GREAT thanks
TC Jan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 March 09 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Jan, since your last post there've been some new (free) Irish resources online which might be of interest.

Index to Irish Civil Registrations:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347

There's a birth registration for George Barton ALLEN Apr./June 1897 Larne registration district and also Elizabeth Kerr Barton Allen Apr./June 1899 Larne reg. dist. (Lily or Lil is often a nickname for Elizabeth so this might be George's sister Lil).

The 1911 Census for Co. Antrim has also been put online:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search
I dod a search for George, Elizabeth, James but couldn't see them anywhere. You can have a look yourself but perhaps the family were already in England by 1911? (1911 English census is being put online but is a pay-per-view site).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!