Author Topic: Lookup request for James Clark and Isabella Lawrance  (Read 14810 times)

Offline Shand-Aberdeenshire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request for James Clark and Isabella Lawrance
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Do you have anymore info on the Shand side? I have Eleanor’s dad William born 1764 and his dad William born 1730. Both were born in Forgue, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

Thank you. I’m new to this site and researching. Joined this morning.

Hi.  I am new to this site and found you be accident while searching for my ancestors in Scotland.  I nearly fell off my chair when I read this post because I am searching for the Lawrences and have got back as far as RATHEN. 

John Laurance is my Great, Great, Great, Great, Grandfather and he married Eleanora Shand in 1806 in Rathen.  Eleanora was born/baptised 25/12/1785 - father William Shand. 

I found birth/baptism entry for Joseph Lawrence on 4th July 1815 (my G.G.G. Grandfather) and also found entry (on one certificate) for George 1811, Eleanor 1813 and John (no date), also another entry for Isabel Laurence 1807. 

I tried searching the Census records and found one for 1851 but it is for George Lawrance (head) can't see age, Eleanora Lawrance, (Mother), Widowed, age 65, and Eleanor Lawrance (sister), unmarried, age 38.  This would mean that Eleanoras husband (John) must have died previous to this date.  All the ages add up so I thought I was onto a winner... BUT you have found another 1851 Census that has George, Eleanora, Eleanor, Jean ?, Robert ? (don't have Jean and Roberts birth/baptism entries, do you have them?) and a servant.   Now i am confused!  is my find for 1851 the wrong one?   Also, what happened to 'John' who appeared on the 'bulk' baptism certificate with George and Eleanor?   

I am completely hooked on this and can't wait for replies!!!
Shand's from Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Lawrance/Lawrence from Aberdeenshire
Cardno from Aberdeenshire
Bannerman from Aberdeenshire
Isobel Bruce b1751 d1836 married to William Shand b1750 d1823 Kirkyard of Rathen
John Shand b1713 Methlick married Jean Massie

Offline Shand-Aberdeenshire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request for James Clark and Isabella Lawrance
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tracy,

I just got Eleanora Lawrence's(Shand) birth (25 Dec 1775), Marriage(21 Sept 1806) and death (6Aug 1857) certificates. It shows on Ancestry for hints the 1841 and 1851 census in the same location. Lonmay, Aberdeenshire. I am trying to get information on Eleanora Shand. Her birth/baptism record shows only William Shand. I am assuming based on her supposed brothers and sisters Robert, Joseph, Elizabeth, Jean and Mary being born in the same town and parish to William Shand and Isabel Bruce that her mother is Isabel Bruce. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi.  I am new to this site and found you be accident while searching for my ancestors in Scotland.  I nearly fell off my chair when I read this post because I am searching for the Lawrences and have got back as far as RATHEN. 

John Laurance is my Great, Great, Great, Great, Grandfather and he married Eleanora Shand in 1806 in Rathen.  Eleanora was born/baptised 25/12/1785 - father William Shand. 

I found birth/baptism entry for Joseph Lawrence on 4th July 1815 (my G.G.G. Grandfather) and also found entry (on one certificate) for George 1811, Eleanor 1813 and John (no date), also another entry for Isabel Laurence 1807. 

I tried searching the Census records and found one for 1851 but it is for George Lawrance (head) can't see age, Eleanora Lawrance, (Mother), Widowed, age 65, and Eleanor Lawrance (sister), unmarried, age 38.  This would mean that Eleanoras husband (John) must have died previous to this date.  All the ages add up so I thought I was onto a winner... BUT you have found another 1851 Census that has George, Eleanora, Eleanor, Jean ?, Robert ? (don't have Jean and Roberts birth/baptism entries, do you have them?) and a servant.   Now i am confused!  is my find for 1851 the wrong one?   Also, what happened to 'John' who appeared on the 'bulk' baptism certificate with George and Eleanor?   

I am completely hooked on this and can't wait for replies!!!
Shand's from Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Lawrance/Lawrence from Aberdeenshire
Cardno from Aberdeenshire
Bannerman from Aberdeenshire
Isobel Bruce b1751 d1836 married to William Shand b1750 d1823 Kirkyard of Rathen
John Shand b1713 Methlick married Jean Massie