Author Topic: A family named Gaskill  (Read 17746 times)

Offline Talmage

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A family named Gaskill
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help and suggestions. I may do as you suggest in due course but, at the moment what I have found out is great. Ann Gaskill was only related to me through marriage and her daughter did not have any children so her line died out. Having got her marriage certificate and knowing that she died at a very young age in New York I was just curious to find out more about her. Also, the fact that her father was a school teacher intrigued me as nearly all my other relations were ag labs or definitely of the working class.
Thank you again for all your help.
Talmage

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 10:20 GMT (UK) »
A bit late in the day, but re reply #1 it's Finkle Street in Kendal, still there today.

Best of luck with your search.

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Talmage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. I hope to be able to visit the area at some point soon and it would be really good to see where she lived.

Talmage

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I'm pretty sure it will be Sawrey House you want, under Scaife Heights at Sawrey in the Lake District, the village  which has links to Beartrix Potter and also to William Sawrey Gilpin, Landscape Garden Designer etc. 

It's now a hotel though, and all the web I've found is linked to that - Sawrey Country House Hotel.  You can find pictures though on their site - I think a link would be advertising, but easily found - and also the Frith site.

Good luck and Happy New Year.

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 13:20 GMT (UK) »
PS  This link will give you views around Sawrey

There's also a link to Scaife Heights

Best wishes

Emms

http://www.visitcumbria.com/amb/sawrey.htm
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline Talmage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sending these links. I have had a quick look at them and sawrey House looks very grand - very different from what I know of other branches of the family.

Regards,
Talmage

Offline ChrisWest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 March 08 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry to enter your discussion at this late stage, but I have just joined the website.

A lot of this information already stated ties in with my findings also, as a distant cousin.

Reverting back to the beginning of your conversations, according to my information Thomas' first marriage was to Margaret Wildman at Holy Trinity (Parish Church) Kendal on 12 May 1829. They had 4 children - Thomas (1830), John Wildman (1831), Ann (1836) and Richard Willison (1838) before Margaret sadly died in 1839.

This is where I became slightly confused, re the census entry in 1841. If Margaret died in 1839 how could she be at Finkle Street, with the children, in 1841 unless the information given to the ennumerator is incorrect or I have the death of a different Margaret Gaskill. The missing father Thomas can be found as an ag. lab. working at Tullythwaite House, Underbarrow, with his mother's family the Willisons.

I think I can also shed light on the Towers connection (re 1851 census at Sawrey, near Hawkshead), as I have Thomas Towers married to Margaret Willison (Thomas' aunt). By this time, Thomas had been remarried to Jane Prickett at Holy Trinity, Kendal on 27 April 1850, and they proceeded to have another 5 children (plus an illegitimate daughter of Jane's from 1844).

It seems to me that we are talking about the same family. What do you think?

Best Regards

Chris

Offline Talmage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 31 March 08 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris
Thanks for contacting me. I am sure we have been looking for the same family as, since I posted my original enquiry I have found out quite a lot more, all of which matches your findings. The only thing which I hadn't found is Margaret's death which I assumed had happened after the 1841 census was taken. I thought it was odd that she and the children appeared to be living in Kendal while Thomas was working on the farm in Underbarrow but all the indications seemed to be that it was the family I for which I was looking.

In 1857 Ann Gaskill (or Anne as she also seems to have been known) married my great-great uncle Thomas Marchant in Manchester Cathedral. He was a private in the 7th Dragoon Guards and was stationed there. However, later that year he deserted and they eventually ended up in Brooklyn, New York where they had a daughter Elizabeth, known as Lillian. Anne died in 1863 but I have not been able to obtain any record of this from New York although I saw her grave in the Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn when I visited it last year.  Lillian married twice, the first time when she was 48, but had no children so that branch of the family came to an end.

I looked up Tullithwaite Hall on the internet and it appears that Willisons are still farming there! The other thing which I found surprising was that Thomas Gaskill moved from being an ag. lab in 1841 to being a schoolmaster by 1851 - I wonder how he managed that.

Thanks again for contacting me as it is good to have my researches confirmed. If I find out anyhting about Margaret's death I will let you know.

Best wishes
Talmage

Offline ChrisWest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, Margaret is a mystery which we are unlikely to resolve without ordering the certificate, but as we are both quite distant, it is probably not worth the cost involved. I can remember looking at over 20 church burial records within the parish boundary, but still unable to find it!

Thomas only has one sibling, a younger sister Isabella. I imagine that they were both educated as there was money in the family at that time. This could explain why they both became school teachers during the 1840s. Thomas didn't seem to get involved in his father's businesses of woollen drapery, pawnbroking or insurance.

Thanks for the info. about Ann(e). Could you please advise her abode on the marriage certificate? Was she still in GB and on the census in 1861?

I would also like to ask about one of the witnesses you mentionned, namely Betty Gaskill. The only Elizabeth I can find is a cousin of her father's in my line. Although born in the Lancaster area, she is shown as single and landowner visiting someone in Bury in 1861 (father & mother having died in 1850 & 1855 respectively). Could this be her? An interesting possibility!

Thanks again,

Chris