Author Topic: Robert Dexter - b Stretton c1837  (Read 15312 times)

Offline Gibby1968

• My email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Dexter - b Stretton c1837
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 October 15 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that :)

Offline Gibby1968

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 10 October 15 12:42 BST (UK) »
This is the reply I got from Peter Higginbotham a couple of days ago after contacting him through his worhouses website;

Dear Janet,

The Guardians' minute books seem to be about the only records that survive for Oakham. Minute books occasionally name individuals being relieved by the union, particularly in the early years of the New Poor Law. Can't really suggest any other source.
All best wishes,

And this is the reply from Leicestershire RO I received this morning;

Dear Janet,

Unfortunately, the admission registers for Oakham workhouse, which would have contained the information which you are seeking, have not survived. We do hold the minutes of the Guardians for Oakham Union for the period 1836-1930 [our ref G/R1/8a/1-21] and you are welcome to consult them in our public searchroom . Full details of our opening hours and reader’s ticket system are available on our website at www.leics.gov.uk/recordoffice 

However, although it is possible that your ancestor is mentioned , it is very unlikely since the minutes are a record of the administration of the workhouse rather than a record of the inmates. If you are unable to visit the Record Office and would still like the minutes to be checked, we can conduct a search on your behalf but we are now obliged to charge for this service at a rate of £25 per hour. I attach a form in case you would like to try this.

I am sorry not to have been able to help you.

Offline Gibby1968

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 10 October 15 12:44 BST (UK) »
I think I'll input the Beeson information given earlier into my family tree and see what hints ancestry comes up with.  Will let you know if I find anything useful :)