Author Topic: WEIR/THOMSON and WEIR/MACADIE marriages - help  (Read 5542 times)

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WEIR/THOMSON and WEIR/MACADIE marriages - help
« on: Saturday 01 January 05 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I have found two marriages that are possibilities for my families but I don't know if they are the right ones.

I have Hellen WEIR marrying James THOMSON on 2 May 1856 in Wick.  I have no parents for either so I need to know if this Hellen is the daughter of William WEIR and Catherine (Nee MALCOLM) and was born in 1838 in Wick.

Also her brother John WEIR born 1831 may have married Margaret MACADIE 24 September 1852 in Wick.

How can I verify I have the correct marriages for these people?  I also need to find them on the census if possible.

Thanks for any help, Kay
ALLEY (Wiltshire); HOLLAND (Lancashire); WEIR (Scotland), SUTHERLAND (Scotland); PROSSER (Brecon); PRYOR (Cornwall); ANTHONY (Cornwall); FRY (Somerset)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: WEIR/THOMSON and WEIR/MACADIE marriages - help
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 05 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

The 1856 marriage will be on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

This will give you both sets of parents.  Statutory reg started in 1855 so if this was a banns marriage or by licence then it should be registered.  To search and view the cert will cost £1.20 on the above site.

The 1852 won't be on the statutory reg as it is before 1855 unfortunately so a request for 1861 census is needed OR look for the death reg which will be post 1855 this will give maiden name and parents if known by the informant.

All the best,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 January 05 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the help - much appreciated.

Kay
ALLEY (Wiltshire); HOLLAND (Lancashire); WEIR (Scotland), SUTHERLAND (Scotland); PROSSER (Brecon); PRYOR (Cornwall); ANTHONY (Cornwall); FRY (Somerset)

Offline trebor2

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have quite a bit of info on the Weirs and the Malcolms. Plus some photos of the 5 Weir sons of Margaret Weir/Macadie and John Weir. Let me know if I can help.
Cheers, Rob Macadie

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 July 05 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would very much like to have any information you have on this family and especially photographs.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Thanks Kay

Offline Angus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 July 05 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob:

My great grandfather was George Weir, John's brother, and son of William Weir and Catherine Malcolm.  I have done some research on the family but would like to hear from you.

Sarah
Corner, Anderson (Edinburgh), Weir, Manson, Malcolm, Levache (Wick), Smith, Mason, Brown (Leith), McDonald (Glasgow)

Offline trebor2

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 July 05 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

How can I help?

I can only provide some info on Margaret MACADIE who married  John WEIR on 24 September 1852 in Wick and their children.

Cheers,

Rob Macadie

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 July 05 02:30 BST (UK) »
the marriage of James Thomson and Hellen Weir on 2nd of May 1856 in Wick

James Thomson aged 22 of Boathaven parish of Wick a Cooper son of William Thomson (pilot - deceased) and Elizabeth Thomson nee Geddes

Hellen Weir aged 19 of Boathaven, daughter of Willam Weir, Cooper and Catherine Weir nee Malcolm.

Catherine Weir nee Malcolm died August 25th 1886 aged 75

Her parents are listed as being William Malcolm a farmer, and Ellen Malcolm nee Miller.

William Weir  died aged 78 on April 2nd 1883

his parents are listed as being John Weir, wool weaver and Anne Weir nee ??? could not deciper her surname...

Hope this helps

Best wishes

MO
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Angus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 July 05 03:36 BST (UK) »
Hi:

Thanks for the information.  I believe that the parents of William Weir were John Wier and Ann Manson.  Also, I think that Ann Manson's parents were Robert Manson and Janet Levach.  Can anyone confirm?

Sarah
Corner, Anderson (Edinburgh), Weir, Manson, Malcolm, Levache (Wick), Smith, Mason, Brown (Leith), McDonald (Glasgow)