Author Topic: Grantham, Westgate question  (Read 5903 times)

Offline alisontoon

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Grantham, Westgate question
« on: Sunday 02 January 05 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a marriage (Emmanuel Bonnett and Sarah Frost, 31st August 1851), and a birth (John Bonnett, 28th May 1852). The residence of both Emmanuel and Sarah on the marriage certificate is simply "Grantham", and on John's birth certificate it is simply "Westgate, Grantham" with no house number.

I believe that Westgate was one of the areas in Grantham where the fairground people and travellers stayed. I wondered if anyone had any idea how I could find out if this family were indeed travelling with the fairground?

Emmanuel's trade was blacksmith. He was born in Barrow-upon-Soar, Leicestershire, and his father John was also a Blacksmith and probably born in the Seagrave/Walton le Wolds area, but I have been unable to trace the family line back further. The family seemed to travel a lot: Emmanuel's next son, Henry, was born in Aston, Warwickshire in 1855, and the family eventually settled in Leicester. Henry later took his own family to Southsea for a few years before again returning to Leicester.

Witnesses to Emmanuel and Sarah's wedding were John Debus and Jno (John?) Marshall.

Best regards,

Alison
LEICESTERSHIRE: TOON, CARVELL, BONNETT, GASK, COOK, RILEY
KENT: STROUD, ELLIS, SPITTLES
CANADA, ALBERTA and WALES, PEMBROKESHIRE: HUGHES