Author Topic: MEE surname, County Cavan  (Read 13326 times)

Offline enzedder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MEE surname, County Cavan
« on: Sunday 02 January 05 08:16 GMT (UK) »
County Cavan was supposedly the cradle of the Mee family.  Certainly I have found many of the surname living there, and am not able to link them up as I would like.

My ancestor Alexander Mee was born in the parish of Urney in 1833, joined the Royal Ulster Constabulary; served in the Crimea, and emigrated to New Zealand in 1860 where he eventually farmed in South Canterbury.  He died in 1902.

Anyone else out there researching the Cavan surname of MEE? 

Nancy.  (Loburn, NZ)   ::)
ORTON, (Westmorland & Yorks.), INMAN, BAYLES, PEIRSE, WASTELL, HUTTON, DARCY (all Yorkshire) -
SOUTH, BAKER (Hartley Wintney, Hampshire) -
BARRATT (Bucks & Northants.)

Offline tagf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MEE surname, County Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 February 05 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Mee is not a common surname in Ireland but there is a family in cootehill co. cavan called mee

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 May 05 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Nancy,

http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/index.cfm Irish Ancestry Surname Search.
Enter the surname Mee and you will see the distribution of births of the name in Ireland in the year 1890.

In Griffiths Valuation of Ireland 1856 - 57 there are four Mees (Henry, John, Samuel and William) shown as being the head of household in the townland of Inishmore. Do you know which faith was followed by your ancestor Alexander Mee ?

Best Wishes,  Christopher

Offline Tweetiepie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 September 05 15:11 BST (UK) »
There are also alot of Mee families in the Co. Monaghan area , especially in Corduff, outside carrickmacross. 2 different families exist, claiming they are not related, but are neighbours, so if traced back they could be.
Hope this is of help,
For names etc.. give me a shout

Offline enzedder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 November 05 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, people are so helpful!  Thanks to you all.

The John MEE appearing in Griffiths Valuation in the townland of Inishmore, parish of Urney in Co Cavan, was the father of my immigrant Alexander MEE.

The other three Inishmore MEEs were possibly all some relation, but it seems difficult to say exactly with the lack of early Parish registers.

I just wondered if there might be someone else out there "collecting" Mees from County Cavan!

::)
ORTON, (Westmorland & Yorks.), INMAN, BAYLES, PEIRSE, WASTELL, HUTTON, DARCY (all Yorkshire) -

Offline fredandfreda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Enzedder

My Mee family were from Cavan and emigrated to New Zealand in about 1875 to Dunedin. He was the son of Henry and Frances. Is this any realative of yours. We may have something in common

cheers from B

Offline enzedder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 October 11 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Enzedder

My Mee family were from Cavan and emigrated to New Zealand in about 1875 to Dunedin. He was the son of Henry and Frances. Is this any realative of yours. We may have something in common

cheers from B

Was his name Edward Mee?  I believe his biography appears in the Cyclopedia of NZ.  Probably a distant relative - that is the best I can say.  Came from exactly the same part of County Cavan as did my g-grandfather Alexander Mee. 

Offline Les57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 December 11 20:33 GMT (UK) »
There are some Mee families living in the Cloverhill area of County Cavan. Here is a contact address for one of them: http://cloverhillauctioneers.com/contact.php

Offline enzedder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 December 11 20:45 GMT (UK) »
There are some Mee families living in the Cloverhill area of County Cavan. Here is a contact address for one of them: http://cloverhillauctioneers.com/contact.php

Thanks Les.  Yes, I've known of that branch for some time.  One of their number, a Rev James A Mee, emigrated to New Zealand within recent times, and he died in Auckland a few years back.  He was a tremendous help to me, an enthusiastic genealogist.