Author Topic: MEE surname, County Cavan  (Read 13341 times)

Offline oskandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MEE surname, County Cavan
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 December 13 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Offline MichelleMee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I am part of the Mee branch in Cavan.

Offline enzedder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Would be interested in a little more information Michelle.  My ancestor was from Inishmore, emigrated to NZ in 1860.  Alexander Mee, born circa 1833. Two of his brothers, Isaiah Mee and Elijah Mee, also emigrated to NZ.  Another brother James Mee remained in Inishmore, but I don't believe he had any children........A sister Selina married a George Mee, and they too remained in Cavan........Any information on your line would be welcome!
ORTON, (Westmorland & Yorks.), INMAN, BAYLES, PEIRSE, WASTELL, HUTTON, DARCY (all Yorkshire) -
SOUTH, BAKER (Hartley Wintney, Hampshire) -
BARRATT (Bucks & Northants.)

Offline oskandy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 02:41 GMT (UK) »

Hi Michelle,
My Mee Family ancestor, was John (henry) Mee born c1834 In Cavan Ireland.
Is this any relation to you.
Thanks
Jen

Offline Cavanman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 September 17 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hey, I'm coming to this very late but I'm doing a bit of research in this area ATM so I thought I would share. Urney was a more significant settlement around the famine era but was abandoned during it. The town land of urney is fairly significant in history but now all there is to see is an old monastery and graveyard up a small lane beside urney bridge. Very close to that area is inishmuck (it is essentially surrounded by water and urney bridge is the entrance on to it. There were Mee's living here that I remember - if you look up 'Cavan canoeing' - there is a small road at the top of the hill to the east (running parallel with the direction of the river by the canoe centre). Two old bachelors lived along that lane - hugh the hollow and Bob Mee. Bob is the nearest to urney I know of. He died im guessing between 1981-4. he was a Protestant man in what is the Irish republic and was universally loved by all accounts. Mee was a Protestant name and in general, there was a marked reduction in protestants following partition (this area is maybe 20 miles from Northern Ireland). There is a little church of Ireland not far from urney and bob mee's farm called Derryheen church and bob is buried there with other Mees. I'm sure local people including those at cavan canoe centre would know more if bob has any relative about today. Sean who runs the centre is a salt of the earth man and we'll knowledgable about the area. Good luck in your search

Offline Nancy McLaughlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 September 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cavanman for your information!

I have been researching for a long time now, and yes, I do know of Bob Mee, and in fact someone sent me a newspaper cutting relating to his funeral, which apparently was quite an event in the area at the time.

Am always interested to know of any MEE family connections in Cavan.  So many of them emigrated to New Zealand in the 1800s.

Thanks again!  :)   I am enzedder.... but it is so long since I last logged in that my identity now looks different!

Offline Cavanman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 00:02 BST (UK) »
Haha yeah my own father was at bobs funeral and apparently was away for a few days. If you ever get the chance do visit the area, it is beautiful :)

Offline Nancy McLaughlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hey, my husband and I hurtled through Cavan away back in 1979..... just loved it, and promised ourselves we'd go back...but it has not happened yet!

Offline Cavanman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
Well if you ever make it, let me know and I'll point you in some urney - mee directions :)