Author Topic: BROWN siblings:from Ireland to central NY 1850s  (Read 6292 times)

Offline acooper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BROWN siblings:from Ireland to central NY 1850s
« on: Tuesday 11 December 07 19:06 GMT (UK) »
This is a long shot but thought I would try here as well as on some other boards.

Seven Brown siblings came to America during the Famine years: between 1840 and 1859. All that is listed on the census' is that they were from Ireland. Their parents were a Joseph Brown and Ella Carr, who did not come to America but stayed in Ireland (sad). Ella may have actually been Isabelle as the one daughter is named that.

Judging by the birth years of the children I'm guessing that Ella Carr would have been born between 1790 and 1800. Joseph Brown may have been older.

The Brown siblings settled in Colchester, Delaware County, New York. They were:

Joseph b 1819 or 1821 (have 2 contrasting reports)
Robert b 1825?
Isabelle b 1833?
William
Charles
Samuel
Thomas b 1845 or 1849 (my gt-gt-grandfather)

It appears as if most came into America through the port of Boston. Most settled in Colchester, Delaware county, New York and were listed as farmers on the census.  Thomas served in the Civil War and was listed as living  in Wayne County, Pennsylvania with his young family during the 1880 American census.

We are trying to find out where in Ireland they were born and where their parents were from. All indications are that they were Presbyerians and were probably Ulster Scots originally and so my immediate task is to search counties where both the BROWN and CARR surnames were commonly found. I'm starting with the Northern counties.

If any more experienced researchers can offer me some direction to Irish resources I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks
GREEN, SKELLY, SHERIDAN of Virginia, Co. Cavan.
BROWN, CARR. (thought to be Presbyerians from Northern Ireland)
COOPER, perhaps from Ulster?

Offline George E. H. Haydock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BROWN siblings:from Ireland to central NY 1850s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 05:03 BST (UK) »

Hi , My name is George Earle Houston Haydock Born Belfast N.I.
  My gran mother was born i believe in 1886 in Belfast she was Elizbeth Brown Married my
grand father Samuel Haydock ,in 1908.in the Church of Ireland Crumlin Road Belfast,
 that's all i can say ,she past over age 96. hope its helpful...

Cheers George. Now living in Queensland Aus.