Author Topic: Link: Dursley town website  (Read 10799 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Link: Dursley town website
« on: Tuesday 11 December 07 21:48 GMT (UK) »
This website is interesting because it incorporates audio of oral history - those researchers from overseas might like to hear what their ancestors' accents might have been like! 

Those with railway interests might also enjoy the reminiscences of John Humphries.
http://www.dursleyglos.org.uk

Added: Dursley and Cam site also incorporating oral history pages
http://www.dursleyglos.org.uk/html/dursley/clubs/dncsociety/dncsociety.htm

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Dursley town website
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link Arranroots.

We lived in Dursley from 1974-1976 and our two eldest children attended Rednock School, so I was interested in the article about the school.  I'll pass it on to my eldest two.

Do you live in Dursley?  I wouldn't want to say anything bad about it if you do, but I have to say I can't think of anything good to say about it. :D :D

Lizzie

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 22:18 GMT (UK) »
No, we drove through yesterday & I was interested to see where my ancestors used to live - any idea if the workhouse is still there?

Actually it looked quite pictureque in places and the hills around are beautiful.

We did used to beat Rednock at hockey though!

:D :D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 22:26 GMT (UK) »
It is quite picturesque but the people were the unfriendliest and parochial of any I've met and we've lived in many different places around  England.  That is why we only lived there for 2 years.

I didn't know there ever was a workhouse, was it actually in Dursley or somewhere else like Cam?

Lizzie

Offline AndyBB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 March 11 10:15 GMT (UK) »
This is an old topic but I wanted to add my comments anyway as I was surprised at the somewhat negative tone from LizzieW. I made a conscious decision to come to Dursley 12 years ago and it's one of the best moves I've done. I've met unfriendly people across the whole country, I think you make of something as you want. I've also lived all over the country and have found the community here has been great and I've been welcomed into everything I've shown an interest in. I would suggest things are very different now from your experiences in the 1970s - that was 35+ years ago after all.

It still does have some very picturesque places within the town and you're right, the scenery around here is fantastic.

In answer to the question posed here, the Union Workhouse was actually demolished in the 1950s. It opened circa 1838 and replaced an earlier town workhouse, part of which is still here.

By the way Arranroots, the Dursley website referred to in the post, (www.dursleyglos.org.uk) is my site and is being continually expanded to include more local history content about the area.

Andy
Barton, Dursley

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 March 11 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Andy!  Glad we were able to help publicise your site a wee bit.

I'm sure Dursley has always had some lovely folk and some rum characters - sorry to say that my forebears were among the latter group of norty ones - or at least some of them were!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 March 11 11:33 GMT (UK) »
This is an old topic but I wanted to add my comments anyway as I was surprised at the somewhat negative tone from LizzieW. I made a conscious decision to come to Dursley 12 years ago and it's one of the best moves I've done.

Andy - We left Dursley in 1976, having lived there for 2 years.  Even though my children went to school there, 2 at Rednock, 2 to the junior school and 1 to the infant school, I still maintain that it was - at the time - a very unfriendly and parochial place.  None of the parents spoke to me outside the school gates, or in the street when we saw each other.  We moved from Derby, which was very friendly and the first week we lived in Dursley I went to the local corner shop.  When I got to the counter to pay, I made some general chit chat to the assistant who promptly burst into tears.  When I asked her what the problem was she said that in the 3 years she had lived in the area, I was the first person who had passed the time of day with her.  Now if people don't speak to the assistant in the corner shop, what sort of place is that?

My 12 year old daughter and a friend decided they would like to go to church one Sunday morning.  When they came back they were in tears.  I asked what the problem was and they said it was the reaction of the churchgoers to them.  They were told in no uncertain terms that they were not welcome in the church as they were not local to the area.

If it has changed since the mid 70s, well that can only be a good thing, as I stick to my opinion that when we lived there it was the most unfriendly and parochial place I have ever lived in.  The people seemed to resent outsiders coming in and showed it in every way possible.

Lizzie

Offline I've left

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 March 11 11:58 GMT (UK) »
My wife and I moved to Dursley over 20 years ago and found the people very friendly and welcoming.
This was compared with Weymouth and Dorchester.

There is of course the odd person who thinks they are superior because their families have not moved more than a mile or two in generations but you get ****s everywhere.

Bryan

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 March 11 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Anyone lived there in the 1970s? 

Bryan - over 20 years ago is still around 1990.  My guess is that more outsiders went to live in Dursley and started making it more friendly.

Lizzie

ps.  My eldest son who went to the junior school, (?Highfields) then to Rednock for a year, is still in touch with the friends he made there.  He lives in USA but they go to visit him and vice versa.  In fact he'll be over again in July when one of them gets married.  None of my other children have kept in touch with anyone they were at school with in Dursley.