Author Topic: The Storm Bridlington 1871  (Read 9905 times)

Offline Midlands Boy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Storm Bridlington 1871
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »
This is fascinating :)

Violet was my Great Grandmother.

Here she is (on the left) with John Hindson Usher

Offline millie2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 January 14 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Midlands Boy - I'm very excited!!!!

Yes it is my husbands Grandmother and Gt. Grandfather. Who is the other lady and the boy?

Are you related to Jean and  Albert Ball or to Keith Fisher?

Did you know that J H Usher was awarded with a Life Boat Medal and Board of Trade Medal for a rescue in a Gale? He was one the the Victoria Five and there is a picture of the the 5 fishermen at the Life Boat Station in Bridlington. I do have a photo of the 5 of them.

Keep in touch.

Offline Midlands Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 January 14 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Is your husband Robert or David? I can't think who else he'll be unless Violet and Johnson had more children than I know about :)

I'm told the boy in the photo is Jack Raymond Fisher. I have no information on the other lady.

Jean was my aunt and Keith is my father.

I didn't know that about JHU. Very interesting.

Offline millie2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 January 14 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for reply, I wonder if the lady in the picture is J H Ushers second wife jJane Alice Usher nee Wales?

Is Jean and your father Keith still alive. I am David Atkins wife - Robert died in 1995 whilst visiting Australia for his sons Nick wedding.

A little more about the Lifeboat Medal that was awarded to J H Usher.  Go into Google punch in Swiftsure Bridlington and scroll down to Kit Brown Bridlington it will tell you all about it along with a picture of the five fishermen.
If you want any further info please contact me.

Offline Midlands Boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 February 14 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the two links.

I never knew any of that.

In the photo of the five of them you can clearly recognise John as the same person in the photo I posted here.

I have sent you a private message through here. In the brown bar near the top of the page there is a link saying My Messages. I think you click on that to read them.

Offline millie2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 February 14 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paui

Yes we still live in Armorial Road.

Presently I am writing up  the Usher Family History. I am in a muddle with regards to them in the 1700s. I can't fathom out who belongs to who. My Nephews wife will help me but she lives in Northampton she does family history so could be of some help.

I haven't touched it for 4 years as I belong to a women's writers group writing about Coventry Women and we have just published our 9th book. I am not going to write for a year in the hope of getting the Usher family written up.

I can't get your Private message off. my email address is (*) If you would like to send it to me.

Angela

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 February 14 17:23 GMT (UK) »
The Hull Daily Mail, Thur 9 Feb 1933, printed an article about the great storm and mentioned
"Another account of the great gale is preserved in a poem written at the time by a girl of 15 named Sarah Ann Usher, who lived in Bridlington ........." and mentioned 39 stanzas.

The poem is also mentioned in the Yorkshire Evening Post, 10 Feb 1931 in an item commemorating the 60th anniversary. The article reports that the poem was so well known that, when a copy was needed for the printers (some years previously) and one could not be found, one of the Bridlington fisherman sat down and wrote it out from memory.

Offline dianeAUSTIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 December 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
The poem was written in an exercise book donated to the museum in Bridlington by my grandmother Eva Parkes (nee Jackson) Her mother was Emma Jackson - the daughter of Richard and Sarah Jane Proudley (nee Usher). Sarah the daughter of john Usher

Offline dianeAUSTIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 December 15 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Sarah was the daughter of John (Jack) Usher coxon of the lifeboat and landlord of the Tiger Inn on Bridlington Harbour