Author Topic: Anyone need French ?!  (Read 3910 times)

Offline Soureau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone need French ?!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 December 07 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Good evening Les,

Any way you could blow up the French text or make it a little sharper ?
The left hand margin appears to have cut off some words, or half of them. Perhaps that's due to the original ? It's a little fuzzy this end, although I can make out most of it ok.

Nick

Offline Soureau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 December 07 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Good evening Marie,

I'm not bad at a lot of things, but I can't guarantee Guadeloupe ! However, it could be an interesting challenge.

I have yet to find my way around French genealogy websites, although I have been provided with some information on the subject. However, my British researches took off so fast that I have to confess that they have occupied me full time up until now.

Now if I could find the French equivalent of RootsChat (RacinesChat ?!)
- somehow it doesn't translate that succinctly ! - we would be in business !

I'll keep a weather eye open for you in case I find a lead that could be of use.

Nick

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 December 07 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Any way you could blow up the French text or make it a little sharper ?
The left hand margin appears to have cut off some words, or half of them. Perhaps that's due to the original ? It's a little fuzzy this end, although I can make out most of it ok.

Hi Nick

Unfortunately, my copy is not much better. I can't do anything about the left hand margin, however, I think(?) I have increased the size 10%, and sharpened it a little (using Picasa Program).

If this doesn't help you, don't worry too much about it. I appreciated your help with the "small pox" translation, and that was my main interest. The rest of the document appears mainly to relate to the Insurance Policy conditions, rather than to my ancestor himself.

"Merci"

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 December 07 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Good evening Marie,

I'm not bad at a lot of things, but I can't guarantee Guadeloupe ! However, it could be an interesting challenge.

I'll keep a weather eye open for you in case I find a lead that could be of use.

Nick

Merci bien, Nick!

A cousin has got some information on them from an organisation called Genealogical Society of the Caribbean, based in France.  We seem to think they may have come from Marseille (not certain why we think that!)  Anyway, if you find anything that looks useful, I'd be very grateful if you'd let me know!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Soureau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 December 07 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Les,

Thanks for the "blown-up" version, which was slightly easier to read.

The translation you have does omit a detail - to do with the policy conditions I grant you, and not your ancestor - as follows:

.....the Company undertakes, in accordance with the general conditions above, and those that follow, to pay to the said Mr. Belin, if his death intervenes from this (day - I think there is a word missing in the LH margin) until the 26th of April 1830 inclusive, the sum of Ten Thousand Francs.....

Glad to have been of some help. Any time.

Nick

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 December 07 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Once again, thanks very much Nick - much appreciated. My French is limited to "Paris", "cafe", "Citroen", and not forgetting "MERCI"!

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Soureau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 December 07 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Your very welcome , Les !

Nick

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 July 17 00:58 BST (UK) »

And for Marie:

Il n'y a pas de quoi ! Si je peux aider, ce serait avec plaisir !

Nick

Nick,

Vous êtes très gentil!

(Now if you also knew about tracing people who lived in Guadeloupe back to pre-Revolutionary France, that would be even better!!!)

MarieC

Hi,

What's the name of your ancestor from Guadeloupe ?

David

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 July 17 08:09 BST (UK) »
Goodness!  Almost 10 years later, and this thread has risen from the dead!! ;D

David, in the intervening years my cousin and I have found out heaps about our French ancestors.  They were prosperous middle class, originally from Montpellier, then around Marseille, then one of them went to Guadeloupe for whatever reason.  His name was Jacques Joseph Serane.  His father had married into the de Flotte family - probably an ennobled family, also middle class/merchants.  He was there in the post-revolutionary period, and was clearly a supporter of the new order.  He died young - I imagine, of a tropical fever.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland