Author Topic: Acton Burnell  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Acton Burnell
« on: Thursday 13 December 07 14:46 GMT (UK) »
My  Gt Grandmother Amelia Davies was born at Evenwood, Acton Burnell in 1860, the daughter of Samuel Davies  1825 and Hannah, Granddaughter of Thomas abt 1793 and Amelia.  Does anybody have any knowledge of this family, or of Acton Burnell at this period? I don't have date of death for Amelia but it is after 1901, and I suspect she may have  been buried in Acton Burnell.

Elaine
Hodson, Dearden, Croft, Redman, Mather (all in Lancs), Davies (Salop) Murphy, Daly, Worton (Ireland)

Offline GeoffP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Irish Grandmother Julia Sexton(Moxham)
    • View Profile
Re: Acton Burnell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 December 07 15:05 GMT (UK) »

Hi

I assume that you have the marriage

Amelia Davies with Alfred Dearden June1884 Chorlton  8c 1124 and the 1901 Census.

For anybody searching the death it is for Amelia Dearden

Regards
                                                                              Geoff
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Peirce/Pierce/Pearce: Hungerford,Berks/Burbage Wilts.              
   Moxham: Monkton Farleigh, Wilts
   Sexton:Cork,Ireland, New York

Offline GeoffP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Irish Grandmother Julia Sexton(Moxham)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 December 07 15:09 GMT (UK) »

Hi Elaine

There is a death of Amelia Dearden aged 49  Sept 1909  Atcham 6a 355

Acton Burnell would be in the Atcham reg district
                                                                                 Geoff

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Peirce/Pierce/Pearce: Hungerford,Berks/Burbage Wilts.              
   Moxham: Monkton Farleigh, Wilts
   Sexton:Cork,Ireland, New York

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 December 07 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks Geoff, I have the marriage.  I should have given her married name too, sorry. That sounds as though it could be her death. I hadn't realised she died so young. She had an eventful life. Moving to Manchester as a servant in a hotel, marrying Alfred, then living in Texas where three of her four children were born. They then came back to Salford as she was said to be homesick.

I'll send for her death cerificate.

Many thanks Geoff.
Elaine
Hodson, Dearden, Croft, Redman, Mather (all in Lancs), Davies (Salop) Murphy, Daly, Worton (Ireland)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 December 07 06:52 GMT (UK) »

Have you got Amelia's birth certificate which would confirm her mother's maiden name?

If not, here's the details to order it:

Birth March Quarter 1860
Atcham, Vol: 6a, Page: 660

Have you found the family in any of the census?  I can look them up for you if you haven't.

About 18 months ago I took some photos of Acton Burnell for another Rootschat member.  It's a lovely village, and I go there quite a lot, especially during the summer months.  Would you like me to send them to you? 

Please send me a PM (click on the bright screen scroll under my reindeer picture) and let me have an email address :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 December 07 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine :)

I have a Gg something aunt born in Evenwood 1863,  Sarah Ann Edwards,  It is a tiny place with only a few houses,  :) :)

Hi Jan :)

Can you make out what the entry for the 61 census for samuel means? It gives him as Lodger, ( not head ) ?

Pete :) :)

P.S I still have living aunts in Acton Burnell.
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 December 07 21:29 GMT (UK) »

Can you make out what the entry for the 61 census for samuel means? It gives him as Lodger, ( not head ) ?

Pete, in answer to your query: I think that the Davies family are sharing the property with William and Mary Rowe (Head & Wife).  Can you see the note in the Occupation column? "afterwards found 2 occupiers" It's got those curly bracket thingies!!!!! opposite Mary Rowe and Samuel Davies.

That's how I see it anyway, although I may well be wrong ;D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 December 07 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's right Jan. In 1861 Samuel is listed as a lodger, then this is crossed out and he is head. I think Mary and William were actually the lodgers.

Pete do your Aunts know anything of the history of Evenwood? 

I am keen to know why Amelia and her husband upsticks immediately after their marriage and head for New York and then Texas, then why they came back, and why Amelia died in Shropshire leaving her family in Salford. There is a strong chance of course I may never know.

In 1901 Amelia's sister Frances and her husband Lancelot Corfield and her brother Edward and his wife are living in Evenwood. Perhaps this is where she died. perhaps her death certificate is the next piece in the jigsaw.

Thanks for your interest.
Elaine

Offline Fenman1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 January 09 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Pete,

re Amelia Dearden we now know that the death was registered at Berry Bank, Cound.  However we cannot work out the connection between Amelia and Berry Bank, Cound.

However I note that  you seem to have three family connections with Cound and that you also have a connection with Evenwood.  Can you throw any light on what Amelia was doing at Berry Bank.  Or do you know what or where Berry bank is in Cound, it does not show up on any maps.

Thanks

Dave
Dearden(Bury,Ordsall/Salford & Chorlton M/C),  Green (Salford), Platt (Ordsall/Salford,Chorlton M/C),O'Neil (Ordsall/Salford,Chorlton M/C), Lace (IoM)
Quayle (Manchester and IoM)