Author Topic: Findlays of Fetteresso  (Read 47711 times)

Offline Carol McI

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Findlays of Fetteresso
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 July 08 16:04 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Findlays of Fetteresso and have traced them back to John Findlay, farmer at Craigwells, Maryculter in 1706 when his son William was born.  Witness to the birth was John Duthie who also lived at Craigwells.  This may not be relevant but I thought I would mention that the Findlays and the Duthies seem to have been close in the 1700's

Carol
Findlay - Fetteresso, Cookney, Kincardineshire
Allan - Foveran, Aberdeenshire
Wood - Aberdeen, Auchnagatt
Ferguson - Auchnagatt
Knight - Stonehaven
McIntyre - Mid Calder, Edinburgh

Offline MarkSimpson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 December 08 16:25 GMT (UK) »
WOW!! :o

I've just tried to google my great-grandparents (no longer with us!) and it seems they were more important than I thought.  My great-grandfather was William Findlay from Netherley in the Fetteresso area (his father's grave is in the kirkyard of Fetteresso)and he went to school at Cookney.  He married Hilda Maggie Clerk Watson who was working at the Tollbooth in Stonehaven, with her father (James Watson, married to Margaret Park), during WW1.  I know that my Nan (Hilda, Elizabeth, Christie, Findlay - aka Betty) was born 31/12/1923 in 20 Victoria Street, Stonehaven, and lives in Rugby, Warwickshire now. (as does her younger(?) brother Alastair)  William went on to work at the radio station in Stonehaven and the moved to Rugby when the newly built shipping radio station was built outside Rugby. 
I visited Stonehaven a couple of times (20yrs ago) and fell in love with the area then.  Time, work and family committments have kept me away for a long time.  I think I feel another visit coming on!? ;D

Offline Carol McI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 December 08 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

I was glad to see your posting.

We have the same ancestors.

My gg grandparents were William Findlay and May Lawrie.

William and May were your ggg grandparents. I think that makes us 'third cousins once removed'.

I have the Fetteresso MI's.  If you do not have them please let me know and I will look up any names you are interested in.

Can you see my tree on Ancestry.com?  If you cannot, send me your e-mail address and I will send you an invite.

Carol

Ferguson - Auchnagatt
Knight - Stonehaven

Offline MarkSimpson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 December 08 17:24 GMT (UK) »
I've just spoken to my Nan again, at 86 she gets a little confused when pushed for accurate info, but she reckons her dad (William) had 6 siblings.  George, Arthur, Elsie, May, Fanny and Ninah.  Elsie had 2 daughters called Nellie and Jessie.

As for my g grandmother, Hilda Maggie Clerk Watson, her parents were James and Margaret (nee Park) and they had a farm at Little Faraquay (not sure of spelling) and moved down into the town when the "ministry" took all but one of their ponies at the onset of WW1.

My nan gets very proud to retell how so many of George (or Arthur's) offspring have colonised the south island of New Zealand and there's a huge colony centred around Toowoomba in Australia too.  I need to follow that up but I think that will not happen 'til after Xmas.

Offline Carol McI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 December 08 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Are you in New Zealand, Mark?  I assumed you were in Scotland.

Carol
Ferguson - Auchnagatt
Knight - Stonehaven

Offline MarkSimpson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 December 08 01:06 GMT (UK) »
In the Midlands Carol ....lol   ;D

My Nan is in Rugby still, over 80 years after moving from Stonehaven as a child.  Her only daughter now lives between Locherbie and Dumfries.  Linda (my mother) had 3 sons of whom I am the eldest, and the others are equidistant from myself.  One is living near Worthing, the other is married to a Scotish lass and living in the same village as my parents near Dumfries. 

Offline Carol McI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 08 December 08 02:59 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to attach some info for you but RootsChat won't do it.

I am in Malaysia but my brother Allan Findlay and family are in Glasgow and cousin John Findlay in London.

Here is my e-mail address.  If you e-mail me I will send them.

Carol

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Ferguson - Auchnagatt
Knight - Stonehaven

Offline Carol McI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 08 December 08 03:31 GMT (UK) »
I had a look for the names you gave me before for your mother's siblings.

I cannot find a Ninah Findlay and the only Arthur Findlay was born in Nigg, Kincardineshire in 1910 and died in Aberdeen in 1986.  Is he your g uncle?

I did find George though - he is George Craig Findlay b. 21 July 1884 in Meadowfield, Cookney.

My father, James Findlay would be 90 if he were still alive.  The same generation as your Nan. He was born in Aberdeen but often visited his family near Stonehaven.  They probably met. 

All the best

Carol

Carol

Ferguson - Auchnagatt
Knight - Stonehaven

Offline MarkSimpson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 December 08 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Fanny and Ninah spent their last days in/near Portlethen,  believe, in warden assisted accomodation.  Both were well into their 90's at the end.  They were the last and youngest of the 7 siblings, and died within a few years of each other back in the 1990's.
As for the brothers, I believe you'll have to look into contacting the Australian and New Zealand immigration records for their details, they definately left "to seek their fortune" sometime between the "wars".  (Ahhh ...those were the days! ....[sigh]) ::)
My Nan's cousin Nellie (daughter of May Findlay) lives/ed in Peterculter/Maryculter until recently.