Author Topic: McBean/Alvie  (Read 43573 times)

Offline Spacot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McBean/Alvie
« on: Saturday 15 December 07 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Every one
I am looking for help/advice perhaps even a lookup?
I have been researching my Paternal Grandmothers family tree, Her father was Lachlan McBain from Alvie, her mother Annie Georgina McGregor from Kingussie.
Lachlan's parents were John McBain from Delfour Alvie and Catherine Smith from Glen Urquhart
John's parents were William McBean from Delfour Alvie and Janet McBean from Alvie
My problem the Parents of William McBean are Finlay McBean a weaver and Mary McDonald in Pitchurn
they have 3 children between 1795 and 1805, in 1810 Finlay McBean weaver in Pitchurn and Spouse Catherine McBean have a daughter Ann. from 1817 to 1825 Finlay McBean Weaver in Pitchurn and Spouse Margaret Fraser have another 5 Children, in the 1841 Census Finlay weaver,  Margaret and Son Angus are still in Pitchurn.
Problem are they the same Finlay can find no trace of Births Marriages or deaths of even 1 Finlay of approx right age.  Can anyone out there help solve my brick wall, can get no farther back , any family of Finlay out there who know answer, or are their any answers in the graveyard at Alvie?
Spacot

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
Re: McBean/Alvie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 07 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spacot

I have the Alvie MIs in my Speyside book. A quick glance shows some of your people I think.

I will go and get my head round which are which and post back a little later.

I am also descended from McBeans from Alvie.  Will post you the details with the info from the  MIs.

cheers

Ellen.
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 December 07 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Now you've got me started on my McBeans again - haven't looked at them for a wee while. I remember why - they do my head in! There are just so many of them in and around Alvie and trying to sort out the different lines is a nightmare as I'm sure you have also found.

Anyway, the good news is that I think I can add some info for your melting pot!

Alvie churchyard is not very big, 35 stones recorded in Alison Mitchell's Speyside MIs book.

Lots of McBeans (and of course all the different variations of spelling which I'm sure you've also come across already).

The first and most important one for you is stone no 24:

Inscription is "1860.  Finlay McBain at Pitchirn 10.1815, w Mary McDonald d Pitchirn 10.1809"

I'm taking this to be that the stone was erected in 1860 to the memory of Finlay who died in October 1815 and wife Mary who died in October 1809.

This would fit with your Finlay and Mary, and would account for the lack of children for the couple after 1805.

Perhaps Finlay remarried to Catherine Fraser after Mary died and they had Ann in 1810 before Finlay died himself in 1815?

Would then appear that the next family between Finlay McBean and Margaret Fraser are a different couple?

Here are the other McBean (and variations) references. I will try to put them in order of potential relevance to your people as I see it:

"Wm McBain d Dellifour 7.3.1856, 66, w Janet Kennedy 17.4.1866, 80"

"Dond McBain 11.11.1806, 80, w Janet McBain 21.4.1790, 57, s Dond in Pitichirn 1841, 53, s John, Dellfour ed"

"Alex McBean, w Margt Stuart 21.8.1816, 32, s Alex inf, 3 s John squarewright Nethy Bridge ed"

"Lachlan McBain tailor Meadowside 29.6.1857, 77, w Margt McBain 25.5.1869, 78, s Jas 22y, da Jessie 56y, da Margt 66y, da Eliz 25.4.1899 81, da Isabella 2.10.1899 79, s John d Teeswater Canada 28.7.1905 88, s Farquhar ed. d Kincraig Farm 3.9.1913 80"

"Lachlan Mackintosh of Dunachton 12.10.1882 95, w Mary MacBean 1.6.53 63"

"Dond Robertson fr Dunachton 6.1.1828 72, w Christina McBean 16.12.1812 40, Duncan Robertson, Druminshink, w Margt McLeod 26.1.1846 50"

Hope some of these help. If you are not familiar with the abbreviations in these MI books, let me know and I'll explain - don't want to teach my granny to suck eggs!

I'll post my McBean line seperately so as not to confuse the issue.

All the best.

Ellen.

Offline tezzanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 January 08 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I too am searching for McBean info from the Parish of Alvie back in 1790s  Donald McBean b 1790 m Jane McDonald 1791 and one of their youngest children was Alexander McBean b 1828 Donald was born in Tatersolls-of Raits near Kingussie.  They had five children and Alexander emmigrated to Melbourne Australia and m Margaret Flint Carfrae.  They had four boys in Australia.  I have been searching for five years and hav not found anything on Donald or his wife's families.

Maybe you may come across them.

I don't have any info on your people but hopefully they are connected.

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 January 08 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tezzanz

I can't quite work out a connection yet between our McBeans as yet, but I'm sure there must be one however remote.

My 3 x gt grandad Donald McBean was born Alvie c.1782. He married Ann Warren, "daughter of Robert Warren in Raitts". Ann was also christened at Alvie, 02 Jan 1787. At the time of his marraige to Ann (1808), Donald was a servant to Angus MacEdward, who was a cattle drover, at Kerrow Meadhonach, Raitts.

Donald and Ann went on to have 7 children, all christened at Kingussie and Insh. It is my understanding that the village of Raitts was "cleared" in the early 1800's, and the people removed to the new village of Kingussie.

I am descended from their youngest daughter, Isabella, born 1820.

I will have another good look at the families and see if I can work out a connection. It may be that your Donald 1790 and my Donald 1782 are cousins.

All the best.

Ellen.

Offline tezzanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 January 08 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your email. 

It is the first real positive info that I have had in 10 years.  At last I have found someone who knows about Raitts.  Felicity and I went there last year and found one of the archiologists who researched the village so that it could be replicated at the museum in the next village south from Kingussie.  It is a must to see if you are in that area as it shows you what the conditions were back 200years ago.

I do hope that you can find a connection as I spend 6 hours a week trying to gleen info from all sorts of libraries but to no avail.

Last night I found info saying that Donald was born 1787 Donald's father was Donald, 1757 his grandfather was John 1720.  John's wife was Anna McPherson whose father was Elias McPherson and her mother was Elspeth.

Does this relate to your family?

Cheers,

Terry

Offline fidonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 October 08 15:57 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon all

My ggg grandfather John McBain (MacBean/MacBain) was born in Alvie (Dunlichity) about 1809.  His father was a crofter at Dunachtonbeg and a brother was a shoemakers.  He married 1.  Christina (Cursty) Robertson, also of Alvie and 2. Jessie McKillop. I have found some of John's brothers on the various cenus reports and I know that some of their family settled in Kingussie and Newtonmore.  I wonder if anyone can make a connection

Thanks and regards
Fiona

Correction : John MacBain(Bean) was actually born in 1806 - son of George MacBain and Ann MacDonald.  George was a crofter at Dunachtonbeg.  There were several children apart from John - Duncan, George, Margaret etc.

According to John's death notice in the Inverness Advertiser (1878) he had been a soldier and it said on the notice "Australian Papers Please Copy" which must mean some of his relatives settled in Oz.

John's children were George (can find no trace of him), Duncan (died Glasgow 1905), Angus (went with his entire family to California), Jessie (my g g grandmother), Alexander, James, Elisabeth Ann and John.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks and regards
Fiona

Offline tezzanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 October 08 23:26 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Donald McBean born Alvie 1792 m Jean McGregor (McGrigor)1794.

They had six children from 1818 to Alexander McBean G Grandfather b 1828.  He emmigrated to Melbourne Australia.

I have not been able to find Donald's or Jeam's siblings or parents and would love to do so.

Do you have any info on these people and are they connected to your McBains, McBeans?

All the best,

Terry in Sydney.

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Spacot;
I was VERY interested to see your posting as my ancestors lived in the same place at the same time! I'd be grateful if you could supply further dates for the Lachlan/John/William/Finlay McBean line and family so I could see what connections there may be.

I do know that the "Laird of Pitchurn" at the time was
Evan Macpherson [of Strathnoon] & Florence Macpherson in Pitchurn
sons:  James, b. 31 Oct, bap. 11 Nov 1781, Pitchurn
   Donald, b. 20 bap 24 March, 1784
   Charles, b 26 Oct bap 15 Nov, 1791, Pitchurn
Wife Flora was the only [legitimate] child of John Macpherson of Pitchurn [he seems to have fathered some illegitimate ones, too], she died 3 Sept 1809 age 50
The sons distinguished themselves in military service.

My 5xgreat grandmother Ann Macpherson, was born in Alvie in 1786 if her gravestone is to be believed. She emigrated to New York State in 1803 and we have one letter still, dated from Pitchurn, 21 Febry 1816, from her aunt Margaret, which is this family:

John McBain/McBean & [AUNT] Margaret Macpherson in Pitchurn
children:
1. Wm, in Pitchurn, b. 27 Oct 1782, married 1816
2. Isabel, in Pitchurn, b. 6 Dec 1785, died young?
3. Mary, in Pitchurn b. 20 bap. 21 June 1789, married 7 feb 1811, died 1 June 1853, age 63, husband died 12 Oct 1882, age 95 as Lachlan Mackintosh of Dunachton [earlier of Presnakilich of Kincraig ], buried Alvie kirkyard
4. Margaret, in Pitchurn 13 Feb?, bap 15 July?? 1792
5. May, in Pitchurn, b. 25 Aug 1795

We also know that this is my grandmother's uncle & family:
[UNCLE] Lachlan Macpherson in Dellifour & ----[Marjory Macpherson] in Glenan married 20 Dec 1788, Alvie. children:
   John, b Dellfour 24 bap 25 Feb 1790
   Evan, b Dellfour, 24, bap 29 Aug, 1797, died infant
Grace, b Dellfour, 1 Sept 1799 (mother listed as Margaret), died infant
   Ann, Dellfour, b. 1 bap 6 Feb 1802
   Elspet, b 23 Mar 1804 (mother listed as May), died infant