Author Topic: McBean/Alvie  (Read 43649 times)

Offline Spacot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McBean/Alvie
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 September 09 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellenavon
Sorry to be so slow replying to your post, I am reassesing my McBains [I am visiting Alvie for a quick visit end of September] and noticed I had not thanked you for your help, it sorted out one of my brickwalls, thanks very much.  I note you said you were gong to post your family info seperately, did you do so and I have lost it or what, I have a big black hole in last year, I got married and moved house
Lynn

Offline Spacot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 September 09 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Fidonald

As in my post to Ellenavon above, I am back to my McBains, I have been looking at your post, I have acquired a lot of info on Alvie McBain/Bean`s in my attempt to sort out my family, and my have some info for you [I appologise if you have it already]
George McBean=Ann McDonald m 29 Mar 1778 Alvie. I have dates for 6 children,  Ann, Margaret, Angus, Christian, Janet, and John.  Could not find George or Donald Did find a death cert for George, he was the Shoemaker born abt 1810, married to Ann McNeil 1852 Died Alvie 9 Mar 1879.  Christian also died 1884, no mention of a husband. John Married Cursty Robertson 1844, all census show him in Inverness, a Corn and Spirit dealer, 1851 census no wife, 3 children George, Angus and Duncan, 1861 census married to Jessie and now has 3 more children Jessie, Alexander and Eliza. Do you know who the parents of George were?
let me know if you did not know any of the above and want more detail on it
Spacot

Offline fidonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 September 09 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Thanks for all the info!  I got it a bit wrong with the profession of George McB - he was a crofter, not a shoemaker.  Some of his sons were shoemakers though.  As the records pre 1855 are at best sketchy, I've been unable to get further back than the marriage 0f George and Ann McD and I cannot find a death cert for Cursty. 

One of those days I will get over to Alvie and maybe find out more.

Any additional data you have would be gratefully received.  My e-mail is (*).  I've got heaps on John McB and the sons Duncan and Angus as well as on the children from the second marriage but precious little on John's siblings or parents.

Thanks and kind regards
Fidonald

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline spittalhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 September 09 14:21 BST (UK) »
I have Elizabeth McBean, my wife's g-g grandmother, who died at Tombain Cottage, Alvie on 20 Dec 1891, born c 1813, wife of William Mann, marriage 24 July 1837, Moy & Dalarossie. I have her parents as Donald McBean and Mary Fraser. Does anyone else have them in their McBean files?

Offline Spacot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 September 09 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Fidonald
The george i found is brother to John, according to his death cert his parents were george McBean and Ann McDonald, Cursty must have died between the birth of Angus abt 1848 and the 1851 census, but I cannot find any record either, perhaps in the MI`s for Inverness
I will send more soon
Spacot

Offline fidonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 September 09 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Spacot - much appreciated! 

Offline Spacot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 September 09 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Fidonald
A little more info I have found the marriage of John and Jessie McKillop, Inverness 29 Jan 1853, according to the record John McBean Grocer living Celt St Inverness and jessie McKillop living same place.
Lynn

Offline Fochaberian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 September 09 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm also descended from McBains of Alvie - my gggg grandparents were Donald McBain and Elspet McIntyre. One of their sons was Lachlan McBain, shoemaker (see MIs in Alvie Churchyard) born around 1780 (died 1857) and married to Margaret McIntosh (died 1869 in Meadowside, Alvie). They lived in Coillintuie. His son, Farquhar McBain lived in Kincraig House (don't think he owned it) and built what is now Suie Hotel in Kincraig - he would be a distant uncle. There is a picture of him on the staircase in the hotel. Another son of Lachlan, was Donald, born 1823, my gg grandfather, who is not on gravestone. He was a shepherd and moved downriver to Rothes where my grandfather, Charles Rhind, was born (son of Jessie McBain and Charles Rhind)

Offline Fochaberian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 21 September 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry - Lachlan McBain was a tailor, not a shoemaker - ignore that bit in my last post!