Author Topic: McBean/Alvie  (Read 43685 times)

Offline Spacot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McBean/Alvie
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 12 February 12 20:58 GMT (UK) »
so the Rothimurchus family must be yours and the baptism of Peter has been lost, very few people were called Lewis in the area at that time, the chances of 2 angus mcbeans having boys called peter and lewis is astronomical so your Angus was son to John McBean and Margaret Stuart.Rest of the children
Angus 30 Sep 1787
Lachlan 24 Sep 1801
Isobel 10 Jul 1791
John9 Mar 1795
Marjory 22 Mar 1789
Patrick 24 Jan 1799
the children were born Achnahatnich, angus moved to Balchlaggan [now called Balvadden] had peter then moved to Polchar, all three places are on o.s.maps, you can see them on the nls website.

Offline angiemist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 12 February 12 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for helping me!  I believe you are right.  Would you know where Angus is buried?  I am coming to the Aviemore area for about 6  hours on April 27th and would like to see where my ancestors walked. 

Offline Spacot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 13 February 12 11:08 GMT (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/os/view/?sid=75520799
Above is the link to a map of the area paste it into your browser address bar and it should take you to it you should be able to zoom in and move around, the area with the 3 farms is in the bottom right quarter, the church for the area was in Duthil during the period you are interested in, I will look tonoght to see if I can find any trace of a grave stone. happy hunting

Offline Spacot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angiemist, last update, gravestones
Rothiemurchus old ruined church and its walled graveyard are in the woods of the Doune estate on a slope leading down to the Spey, if you are able to access the map I sent you, you will see it near to Polchar, 3 grave stones of interest in front of the ruin 2 close together 1 slightly separate,

on its own, may be connected  Donald McBean Tacksman of Ballinchlaggan died 1808 age 70 his wife Grace Grant died 1802

together  Angus McBean Achnahatnich died 1864 age 76  wife Mary Grant died 1882 age 91,
also son James died 1858 age 30, dau Catherine died1867 age 2[6] son Donald died 1877.

next to it John McBean Farmer Achnahatnich died 1849 age 53 wife Isabella McBean died 1835 age 38 erected by son Lachlan 1852.

Hope this helps to plan your visit
Spacot

Offline Spacot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 16:01 GMT (UK) »
just a note , have this minute found Peter and Patrick are interchangeable in the highlands, so Patrick could be known as Peter to the family

Offline jimbo09

• RootsChat Extra
  • Frederick Hurley - Great Grandfather-in-Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 04 May 12 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have just started researching the Alvie McBeans and like the rest of you, am confused! I have May  b.1771 in Inverness, m. John Robertson, Christina b.1772 m. Donald Robertson (John's brother), I suspect they could have been sisters. Many of the children from both these families emigrated to Tasmania and South Australia. Does anyone have any information about May and Christina's parents please?

I have been reading a short biography of William Robertson of Australia b.7 Oct 1798 Alvie . His parents are described as  Donald Robertson and Christian Macbean
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/robertson-william-4491
He had several siblings in Australia, in Tasmania mainly, one of whom, Christiana, married Archibald Smith, and they come down to my mothers family.

That means I have to read and perhaps try to understand all these other pages about McBeans - what fun ;D
Dowzard, Hurley, Johnston, Cleland, Sillery, Hanbury, Sparrow, Parker, Hall

Offline Theophylus

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 12 September 13 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, Found this by chance: I am a direct descendent of Peter McBean of Avielochan Farm. he was born in 1866 and his father, also Peter, was born in 1821. The line goes back to Robert Stewart of Fincastle, a subaltern in the Argyll Militia, who refused, at the risk of his own life to take part in the massacre of Glencoe. Hence he fled to Rothiemurcus and the protection of the Duke of Gordon. There are still McBeans around Avielochan. Peter McBean jnr, became a policeman in 1886, as did his son, Peter, my grandfather. I was also a policeman incidentally.

Hi,
Did a little digging ... Rockymus..Kas.. this place must be Rothiemurchus which is the parish next to Alvie , and the parish in which Aviemore is situated,  A bit of luck, only one peter possible in Rothiemurchus ---PETER MACBAIN born October 1820 baptised 18 Feb 1821 in Avielochan parents were John McBain farmer and Marjery Stuart his wife,
First point to mention the McBain/McBean/McBane surname changed depending on who was writing it the spellings of surnames did not become fixed in the highlands until much later, at this point some people are still using the Gaelic spelling.
Their is no record of a Louise McBain/Bean born in 1820's in the whole of Invernessshire so I think your relative might have made a mistake there, families did not get one twin baptised and the other not, they either baptised both or none,
Their are only two other Peter McB's baptised in 1820's
Peter McBean baptised 1826 in Petty parents Angus McBean and Catherine McDonald
Peter McBean Baptised 1829 in Abernethy and Kincardine parents Peter McBean and Janet Grant.
The Petty baptism looks attractive but Petty is over past Inverness close to the site of the battle of Culloden, the birth place is given as [Cretveel?] I can find no place even close to that
Spacot

Offline Colac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 14 February 15 02:35 GMT (UK) »
For those researching MacBain MacBean in Alvie.

William Robertson (1798-1874) pastoralist, was born on the 7th October 1798 at Alvie Scotland- Inverness-shire. He was the son of Donald Robertson, sheep farmer, and his wife Christian, nee MacBean . He went to school at Baldow School.  In 1822 with his brother John he sailed in the Regalia to Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania)
He followed his brother Duncan. And Daniel and James followed. Later he crossed to Victoria.......

I do hope this information helps with your search for MacBean. MacBain. MacBein.

Cheers Colac.

Offline AnDRam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 20 February 15 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Another thread for those researching the McBean/McBains and Robertsons of Alvie:

According to Scotlandspeople, Donald Robertson and Christian McBain had twins, Duncan and Donald, born 6th May 1794 at Cluanach, Alvie.

Duncan (Milton of Dunachton) with Isabel McBain (Kintacher) had “natural” son, Alexander born 12th September 1818 at Alvie.

Isabel McBain, born 3rd April 1783 at Pitowrie, Alvie, was daughter of Alexander McBain and Katherine Kennedy. 

Duncan married Margaret Stuart 19th October 1826 at Alvie. 

For the 1841 census:
Duncan was a farmer at Dunachton, Alvie along with Margaret (1798) and their six children: John (1822), Ann (1824), Donald (1828), Mary (1830), Margaret (1833) and Isabel (1835).
Isabel McBain was an agricultural labourer at Kintacher, Alvie.
Alexander was an agricultural labourer at Dunachton, Alvie

Isabel McBain died 4th February 1859 at Kintacher, Alvie, “single”, “pauper” and “aged 76 years”.  The death was notified by her sister Katherine.  Burial was in Alvie Churchyard.

Duncan, “married to Margaret Smith” and “aged 75 years” (sic), died 4th February 1864 at Lynchat, Alvie.  The death was notified by son-in-law James McAuslin.

Alexander left Alvie to work on the railways.  He married Jane Morrison Cameron (Edinburgh) 22nd February 1850 at Halflawkiln, Midlothian and they had six children: Duncan (1850), Helen (1852), Lauchlan (1854), Alexander (1856), Isabella McBain (1858) – my GGrandmother - and Angus (1861).  The first five children were born in various villages along the Waverley Line where Alexander worked as stationmaster.

The 1861 and 1871 census’s show the family living in Rothes, Moray where Alexander was the stationmaster and their sixth child was born.  By the 1881 census they were living in Portobello, Edinburgh, with Alexander now a railway surfaceman.

Alexander, “railway clerk”, died 6th December 1892 at Portobello and is buried in the town cemetery with Jane, died 21st December 1899.

Angus emigrated to Australia, sailed on the SS Gulf of Mexico landed 24th March 1885.  My GGrandfather (Isabella’s husband) kept a notebook where he records receiving a postcard from Angus in November 1888.  Later in same notebook he gives an address: Mr Angus Robertson, c/o John Robertson Esq., Emerdale Station, Streatham, Victoria, Australia.

Angus married Margaret McRae 1890 and they had five children.  Angus died June 1945 at Kew, Victoria and is buried in Fawkner Memorial Park, Victoria.

Hopefully some connections can be made.