Author Topic: Wife of Daniel Macaleese MP name required  (Read 6929 times)

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Wife of Daniel Macaleese MP name required
« on: Sunday 16 December 07 05:42 GMT (UK) »
This request is on behalf of my wife who still calls Belfast home after nearly 60 years absence, At the marriage of her great grandparents Daniel Macaleese and Elizabeth Mains at St Matthew's Belfast on the 25th Dec 1880 ( topical that?) Daniel's father was given as Daniel Macaleese shoemaker, the bridegrooms age was given as "full"
Whilst Googling today I found a Daniel Macaleese who was a Irish MP he was also a shoemaker, somewhat of a coincidence? Daniel junior purchased a grave plot in Milltown cemetery in 1885 at a cost of two pounds ! for the burial of his wife and young son, also buried in the same grave in 1891 was his mother Bridget Macaleese aged 57, my question could Bridget be the wife of the aforementioned MP?
Daniel junior was an iron turner by trade and I have a notation to say that a Daniel Macaleese iron turner appears in the 1914 directory of Belfast I do not know when he died he is not buried in the family grave as it is occupied by seven family members the last burial being Uncle Jamie Fitzpatrick in 1941,
In anticipation, Thank you  Dennis
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wife of Daniel Macaleese MP name required
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 07 11:44 GMT (UK) »
New York Times Archives has an obituary for a Daniel Macaleese MP for North Monaghan born 1840 died 1 Dec.1900 but he was a journalist according to the obit. I googled 'daniel macaleese' and link came up but it was too long to paste here.
Then found Dictionary of Ulster Biography, where Daniel was a shoemaker but born 1833:
"MacALEESE, DANIEL 1833-1900

Daniel MacAleese was born in Randalstown, County Antrim. He was self-taught and a shoemaker by trade. In his youth he wrote much poetry. He served on the staff of several Belfast newspapers and edited the Ulster Examiner. He was fined and imprisoned for four months in 1872 for contempt of court. He was founder of The Vindicator and The Citizen in Belfast, and of the People's Advocate in Monaghan. He served as member of parliament for North Monaghan from 1895 until his death."

Unfortunately name of wife isn't listed in these articles.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 December 07 12:28 GMT (UK) »

Since Daniel had been a journalist who later stood for public office it would seem quite possible that there would be one or more obituaries for him. This might include the name of a wife and if it is a second marriage and you are really lucky it will state that a first wife predeceased him.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies, the Daniel born 1833 at Randalstown looks promising as his age ties up pretty well with Bridget's, Our main problem is the fact we live 12,000 mile from Belfast and with problems such as that occur with Irish research we rely heavily on kind folks as yourselves.
It appears using lateral thinking that Daniel junior could have had a brother James who was a witness at his wedding,
Dennis
Stop Press After getting semi excited regarding Daniel born 1833 the theory has come crashing down we can now eliminate the Daniel the MP as he died in 1900 and rechecking Bridget's death certificate issued 1891 it states "Widow of Daniel Mcaleese a shoemaker" a shame but looking on the bright sidel that is one Daniel eliminated.
Dennis
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.

Offline maevereid

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 August 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
Daniel MacAleese (MP for North Monaghan) was the brother-in-law of my great grand mother Ellen Quinn(married to Daniel McGladrigan).
His wife was Jane MacAleese daughter of Charles MacAleese of Corky, Loughgiel, Co. Antrim.
I remember my aunt used to say of them 'change the name & not the letter, change for worse & not for better'.

Here is an extract form her death notice:
Residence - Holly Lodge, Monaghan youngest daugher of Charles MacAleese Funeral Notice: This morning Mrs. MacAleese,widow of the late Mr. D. MacAleese, MP for North Monaghan, died at her residence, Holly Lodge, Monaghan.  For a long time past Mrs. MacAleese had been in failing health, but it was only on Wednesday last that she was attacked by an illness which has proven fatal.  Dr J.C. Hall J.P. was called in attendance but science failed to cope with the malady, and Mrs. MacAlesse passed away quitely in the presence of her family, strengthened and fortified by the last rites of the Church.  Mrs. MacAlese was the youngest daughter of Charles MacAleese, formerly of Corkey, in the parish of Loughgiel, County Antrim.  The funeral takes place on Tuesday morning at ten o'clock. - R.I.P.

Regards,
Maeve Reid

Offline Eilish O Neill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 August 15 07:19 BST (UK) »
I have been doing some research and found my Great Grandmother was Alicia Macaleese who married Daniel MacAlister she had four children  Sarah, Daniel Charles and Con but died and my Great Grandad married again My Grandmother Sarah was her daughter I have been told they are related  to Daniel Macleese the MP don't know if it helps.   Would love to know if Brigid and Alicia were related her Son Con went to Queensland and was in the  5th Light Horse Regiment Australian Imperial Forse  (I have his medal dated 1914-1915 )  Eilish O'Neill

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 August 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Since this thread was started almost 8 years ago lots of new resources have come online, including Will Extracts on www.proni.gov.uk

Probate of the Will of Daniel MacAleese otherwise M'Aleese late of Monaghan County Monaghan Newspaper Proprietor and M.P. who died 1 December 1900 granted at Armagh [1 Aug.1903] to Bernard Kieran Spirit Merchant John Trainor General Merchant and Denis C.Rushe Secretary Monaghan County Council. Will dated 26 Nov.1900 (shortly before his death) mentions  'wfe' and 4 children- Patrick, Kevin, Mary, Cherry.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 August 15 04:26 BST (UK) »
Time flies was it 8 years ago!  I still have not found any information on the birth marriage or death of the shoemaker Daniel Mcaleese born c 1830 having eliminated the M P Daniel, a real coincidence both being shoemakers though, I have had more luck with his son Daniel who after the death of his first wife  remarried and later left Ireland and went to Glasgow, fortunately on a Scottish certificate not only did it give the name of his second wife but also his first wife so that tied in the two families.
Daniel the second was born August 1859 at Ballymoney, I am now pretty sure that Bridget's maiden name was Dempsey as that name appears as the first and second names of children of the second marriage. Daniel a shoemaker ( surely not three of them) was living and had a shop in the 1860's at numbers 33 and 34 Ardmoulin Street Belfast and then the trail goes cold.
Family history not only is very interesting and challenging it also keeps the grey cells working.
Thank you Dennis

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 August 15 06:16 BST (UK) »
Just in case you haven't yet seen the original Ballymoney RC parish register entries.

Daniel McAleese baptised 3 August 1856, parents Daniel McAleese and Bridget Dempsey (right hand page, at top):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633108#page/12/mode/1up

Brother James McAleese baptised 20 March 1859 (right hand page, halfway down):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633108#page/23/mode/1up

And another brother Denis McAleese baptised 15 June 1861 (right hand page, third entry down):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633108#page/32/mode/1up