Author Topic: John GORDON -- Sarah PEEBLES  (Read 10682 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John GORDON -- Sarah PEEBLES
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 02 November 08 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Glad to see you are still making progress, I have spent a couple of hours going over stuff we already had, looking for things we may have missed but to no avail.

Keep us informed of any other progress, would be great to get a result on this.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline indigobloke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 November 08 09:45 GMT (UK) »
I've just had another look at the 1841 Census and, unfortunately, it clearly states that Mary Robertson was born in the Edinburgh area, not Angus, so that probably puts paid to that line of enquiry.

Peter
Wilson (Wakefield, Yorkshire)
Gordon (Midlothian)
Ruddle (Wiltshire)
Alley (Laois)
Pierce (Westmeath)

Offline keninlachute

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 02 March 09 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Peter, and any others...

I have happened upon this topic, all be it, by accident. I am not sure if this is still a valid line, but I too have traced my family back to William Gordon and Mary Robertson in St. Cuth. Midlothain.

I have discovered that this couple had at least 3 boys. James (b.1802), William (b. 1804) and Alexander (b. 1809). Through your posts I have found that they had a 4th boy; your suspected John Gordon in 1812. Thank you!. The first 3 children are buried in Quebec, Canada. If this is still of interest or a possibility for you, I encourage you to reply. My family have been searching for this William Gordon, my Grandfather X 4 for a long time. These three boys all immigrated to Lower Canada approx. 1820.

Yours truly, Ken
Midlothian,  Edinburgh,
Gordon, Bain, McOuat, Brown,

Offline indigobloke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 02 March 09 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Ken

William & Mary had 7 children: Fanny (1799), James (1802), William (1804), Stewart (1807), Alexander (1809), John (1812) and Robert (1813). There was also an earlier Alexander who died young (born 07 Jan 1801, died 13 Dec 1806).

However, I'm doubtful that this is your family line if, as you say, the 3 boys you listed are buried in Quebec. The churchyard memorial for Robert Gordon says (in part)
"James Gordon, surgeon R.N., born 07 Dec 1802, died 18 Jul 1847; Alexander Gordon, builder, born 16 Mar. 1809, died 15 Jun 1854; William Gordon, builder, born 07 Nov 1804, died 20 Jan 1858"

James was in the British Navy and the other 2 were builders and did not leave Edinburgh (they were both still single and living at home in the 1841 Census).
Gordon (Midlothian)
Ruddle (Wiltshire)
Alley (Laois)
Pierce (Westmeath)

Offline keninlachute

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 02 March 09 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Dang, Peter!

You've struck a blow here. We honestly thought we were on the right track. We have no real evidence where our family came from, outside of the St. Cuthbert's find/guess.
We know the family is from Scotland, and then Canada. This is one heck of a coincidence. All the boys I've listed were born/christened in the appropriate years. Dang!

I'd like to thank you for your swift response, and corrective info. Perhaps this could be a link for future exchanges. Thank you.

Ken Gordon
Midlothian,  Edinburgh,
Gordon, Bain, McOuat, Brown,

Offline ladymavis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 10 July 16 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi - I have just arrived on this site for the first time and am very interested in John GORDON and Eliza PIERCE. My husband is actually descended from Eliza Pierce and her first husband PHILLIPS.

I would be very interested in the death and marriage certificates etc. I have a few photos and links in Ancestry - see Annie Kelly 4.

Went to the David Jones Food Hall in Sydney on Friday - the current occupier of the cornet where the travellers Rest Hotel was.  Thanks Sue
Australia/Ir: Kelly, Flynn, McNamara, Dunshea
Oz/UK:White, Higginbottom, Oz/DK: Miller (Moller-Danish),
USA: Olson (Danish), Larson (Swedish), Ongstad (Norwegian), Stockert/Bast (German via Ukraine)

Offline indigobloke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 11:59 BST (UK) »
Sue, I sent you a private message (at least I attempted to) last night. Peter
Gordon (Midlothian)
Ruddle (Wiltshire)
Alley (Laois)
Pierce (Westmeath)

Offline ladymavis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 14:11 BST (UK) »
Am so very interested, but not able to get on my computer! I get quite keen when on track so love quick replies. Will paste my random thoughts I did at lunch at work.

Btw I am in Sydney. Where are you?

Hi Peter

Thanks so much for the quick reply.  I remain confused and hope I have the right Phillips.

I have my Phillips as

Thomas G Phillips  b 5 July 1849, d. 6 Sep 1904

He is the NSW BirthsDeaths Marriages as Thomas Phillips, born 1949 in Sydney V18491400 66
Parents Michael Phillips and Eliza

Death certificate does not have mother – father as Michael J Phillips

Looking in Trove I found:

Re Margaret Maria, the only option I have seen is a husband could be Alexander Meffan in 1863 = someone else has on ancestry, and dates fit, but…
There is a death notice of Margaret M Meffan dying in 1881, Mother Eliza, and in the paper as Margaret Meffan, August 12 age 36 – 5 kids…

Then later -
21 Aug 1886
Maud Phillips age 18 months, burnt. Grandfather Alexander Meffan.   21Apr 1862

Then Alexander Meffan 12 Dec 1901 – mysterious death in boat age 65. Fisherman –

And named eldest daughter Eliza

Sue
Australia/Ir: Kelly, Flynn, McNamara, Dunshea
Oz/UK:White, Higginbottom, Oz/DK: Miller (Moller-Danish),
USA: Olson (Danish), Larson (Swedish), Ongstad (Norwegian), Stockert/Bast (German via Ukraine)