Author Topic: Muirhead William c1770 Stirling  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Lynne Dykes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Muirhead William c1770 Stirling
« on: Tuesday 18 December 07 01:01 GMT (UK) »
I believe William was married to Isabella Taylor c1770 at St. Ninians Stirling on 4/4/1790- If anyone can verify this and give me any more details of their deaths, offspring or parents I would be very grateful.

Offline Hannah29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Muirhead William c1770 Stirling
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lynne

Isabella/Isabel/Isobel Taylor was living in the parish of Larbert at the time of her marriage. The Larbert OPR has the record of their banns on 2nd April 1790:

William Muirhead in the parish of St Ninians and Isobel Taylor in this parish gave up their names for proclamation.

The St Ninians OPR just says, for 4th April 1790: William Muirhead St Ninians and Isabel Taylor Larbert.

They had 8 children:

Alexander baptised 25 September 1792
Janet baptised 24 July 1795
Agnes baptised 25 May 1797
Isabel baptised 15 September 1804
Thomas baptised 15 August  1805
Christian baptised 28 June 1807
Peter and James baptised 2 July 1809

All were baptised in the Relief Church and the parents' residence was given as Croftside.

There are no headstones for that family of Muirheads in St Ninians Old graveyard, and unfortunately no burials are recorded in the St Ninians OPRs, although Stirling pre-1855 (1819 - 1854)  burials are well documented in the OPRs.

Best wishes

Hannah

Offline Lynne Dykes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hannah,

very useful!

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 February 10 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if maybe that Peter is the Peter Muirhead in my family tree, who I am looking into a bit.

The Peter Muirhead in my tree, I do not have an exact D.O.B. just some census estimates but several do give 1811.
Date of death is December 28, 1880. He was a master baker in New Market area, Bannockburn, near St. Ninians and married Janet Kerr.

I downloaded Peter's will, thanks to some help I received on this site, and his children mentioned in the will were: Isobella, Catherine (our line- she married John Christie of St. Ninians), William and a Margaret Kerr Muirhead, relationship he does not give, only that she is living with him presently. I think she is too young to be a daughter according to a census I have found, and she was listed in the census as Margaret Kerr, so perhaps from Peter's wife's side, and they adopted her later.

But I have no other proof of who Peter's parents were, just that tantalizing hint at the naming of his children.

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 March 10 03:51 GMT (UK) »
I found Peter Muirhead's registry of death in Bannockburn, not St. Ninian's. He is the son of William Muirhead and Isabella Taylor, farmer, so he is of this family. Your posting gives me a year of birth and baptism. Thanks you for posting, I thought I would update. Peter was married twice it looks like, though the document is hard to read. First wife it looks like Jane, i found a Proclamation of Marriage for Peter Muirhead and Jean Kerr on April 20, 1834, St. Ninians Relief Church. He died Dec 28, 1880 at New Market where he owned a bakery, in Bannockburn. He left a will, Sheriff of Stirling.

Isabella b. 1838-39 m. Robert Slater, has son, Peter Muirhead Slater. She predeceased her father.

Catherine b. April 20, 1840 m. John Christie. She died April 24, 1867. She had three children, Jane K. (Jeannie), Elizabeth and James Christie. John remarried Mary Whitehead and moved to Stirling. This is our line.

William b. abt 1847. I have not researched him yet, I believe he was a grocer in Bannockburn, and was involved in the Relief Church in the 1880s. I think there probably is much to be found about William.

Janet "Jessie" b. abt 1850. I am still looking for Janet and her history.

I just found that Peter was married twice, so I do not know when Jane (Jean) Kerr died and when he married Janet Kerr. Janet may have been married to a McInnes. Isobel McInnes, "stepdaughter" came to live with them and stayed with the family into adulthood.

Peter's grandson, Peter, son of his deceased daughter, Isabel Slater, also lived with Peter and Janet. Later a young girl, same age as Peter, lived with them too and was remembered in his will. This was Margaret Kerr, b. about 1860 as was young Peter. I have not seen a relationship for Margaret; perhaps once as granddaughter but I do not know to whom. Later she is listed as daughter too.

Offline Oorjule

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 March 17 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  I've just started looking back at my ancestors and come across this.  I  am also from this line but from Isabel and Williams son Thomas Muirhead (also a farmer). Married to Janet Leggatt 18/11/1832 in St Ninians.    Only just started researching.

Offline tigger_lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 August 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have a connection to John Christie who married Mary Whitehead on 31.12.1868 as she was my 1st cousin 5x removed.

My research shows them having 5 children in Stirling between 1869-1880.

Regards

Tracey
THOMSON - Shotts, Allanton
DEANS - Lanarkshire, Bathgate, Armadale, Ireland, Ayrshire
PATERSON - Shotts, West Lothian, Midlothian
CAMERON - Motherwell, Kilmallie
WHITEHEAD - Dunblane
BRODIE - Whitburn, Stronsay
DICK - West Lothian
SEDGEWORTH/SIGSWORTH - Lanarkshire, Paisley, Durham
PARVIN/PARVEN - Yorkshire, Lanarkshire
SCOTT - Lanarkshire
GREENWELL - Armadale, Bathgate
HUNTER - Armadale, Bathgate
LISTER - Fife, West Lothian
GRAHAM - Polmont
ROBERTSON - Polmont

Offline GWC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am a descendant of Alexander Cameron brother of Christina Cameron and I am hoping to make contact and share what we can.
Alexander Cameron is my Great Grand Father.
That is Alexander Cameron 1849 -1897

Thanks, Glen