Author Topic: Hugh Gillan Obituary 1922 Yoker  (Read 13565 times)

Offline elsiegee1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hugh Gillan Obituary 1922 Yoker
« on: Tuesday 18 December 07 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Would anybody be able to help me find an obituary for my g-grandfather Hugh Gillan, born 1857, died 1922 in Yoker?

I have recently got in touch with a cousin, who feels sure that Hugh had some part in the founding of Celtic FC in 1887 with the Marist Brother Walfrid. I am hoping that an obituary may give some clues, as Celtic cannot find him in their records.

Apparently two of Hugh's sons, Frank (b1887) and Willie (b1892) also trained with the first team, although I doubt whether this would have been recorded anywhere. Still, would be nice to know...

Unfortunately time and money mean I am stuck in Coventry for this mystery so I would be grateful for any help/suggestions.

Thanks
Elsie
Gillan (Glasgow, Ireland & Devon), Smith (Coventry & Plymouth), Rice (Coventry & Birmingham), Henchcliffe (Derby, Stoke, Coventry), Randle (Coventry)

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Gillan Obituary 1922 Yoker
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I found this is an old Scottish Memories magazine.

In the late 1880’s a number of gentlemen in Glasgow’s East End thought they saw a way to help the cause of the poorer people in the district. Spurred on by the example of Hibernian FC winning the Scottish Cup in 1887 they thought of forming their own club.

How Celtic FC was started.

Most of these men were of Irish extraction and thus when Celtic came officially into being in 1888 the club embodied the Irish sentiments and the principles of the original founders.

With the help of Hibs, they were soon joined by players from other clubs who wanted to share in this new exciting project. They acquired a field opposite their present ground but their astonishing run of early success soon found them established at Parkhead proper.
Beaton Bethune, Campbell -  ROC
Mitchell Leslie - Aberdeen
Mackintosh, Anderson (Provost) -  Inverness
Boyle, Mckechnie, McPhail, Fulton  - Ireland, Greenock, Kilbrachan
Pearce, Curnoe/Curnow -  Cornwall
Patterson, Robson, Sloan, Campbell, Dixon, Wilson, Ritson, Hedley, Vipond, Coulson -  South Shields, Sunderland, Northumberland, Cumberland
Kitcheham/Kitchingham, Gage -  Kent

Offline elsiegee1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks weemary,

So it wasn't just Brother Walfrid then, it was 'a number of gentlemen', so Hugh could have had something to do with it?

It's just the proof that's the problem (isn't it always!)

:D Elsie

Gillan (Glasgow, Ireland & Devon), Smith (Coventry & Plymouth), Rice (Coventry & Birmingham), Henchcliffe (Derby, Stoke, Coventry), Randle (Coventry)

Offline elsiegee1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Update:

From his death cert, Hugh died on 15th February 1922 , if that helps anyone to help me!

Offline pancho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 December 07 19:22 GMT (UK) »
There are Microfiche records available of Obituaries from all the main Glasgow Newspapers in the Mitchell Library Here in Glasgow I will have a wee look when Im in Next week if you want .
Sloey,Slowey,O`Connor ,Hammond,Coulston ,Daily,McCabe ,McCartney,Cunningham ,Martin, McKenna,Cairns Fox,Martin Places of interest Monaghan,Glasgow ,Liverpool,Wolverhampton,Wallasey.

Offline elsiegee1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 December 07 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh, yes please!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks so much :)
elsie

Offline pancho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 January 08 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Going to the Mitchell Library tomorrow hope to have some info for you then Happy New Year by The way :)
Sloey,Slowey,O`Connor ,Hammond,Coulston ,Daily,McCabe ,McCartney,Cunningham ,Martin, McKenna,Cairns Fox,Martin Places of interest Monaghan,Glasgow ,Liverpool,Wolverhampton,Wallasey.

Offline pancho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 January 08 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Just Got Back from The Mitchell and I found the obituary in the Glasgow Herald February 17th 1922 it reads:......
..Hugh Gillan
Died at Smithfield Yoker
on February 15th aged 64
R.I.P Funeral Private
No flowers(by request)

Thats it Elsie sorry no mention of Celtic but thats not to say there arent records available I suggest you write to the club personally as Im sure they will point you in the right direction as  they are of course   the greatest football club  in the world . :)

Offline elsiegee1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 January 08 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ever so much pancho, I'm really grateful for your help with this.
Unfortunately the greatest football club in the world said they couldn't help me when I emailed them :(
I also contacted St Mary's Church,  where Brother Walfrid was based at the time Celtic came into being, but drew a blank there too. Looks like I'm running out of options.....
Thanks for your help anyway. and Happy New Year! :)