Author Topic: Hugh Gillan Obituary 1922 Yoker  (Read 13558 times)

Offline hardhatharry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Gillan Obituary 1922 Yoker
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
 :)Fiona

It is a Small World!  Frank Gillan (b1887) worked at Lobnitz Shipyard if I am correct.  I have no visibility on Gillan family history previous to Hugh and Mary, although Keenan and McGill are strangely familiar.  My Father knew the Gillan sisters well (Millie, Agnes and Anne) as he used to visit them just after the war when his ship HMS ROCHESTER docked in Glasgow.

Mary Gillan (d1974 Coventry) married Daniel James Maginniss (d1954 Coventry) in Yoker in 1912. After a sojurn in Mexico 1913-14, presumably with Hugh Jr, they moved to Coventry in 1916 for Daniel to take up an appointment with Siddleley-Deasy, a company he remained with until retirement through illness in 1954. They had five children.

Daniel James b1914 Yoker, d1985 Warwick.  No marriage.
Mary Annie (Molly) b1916 Old Kilpatrick, d1988 Kirkcudbright.  Marriage no children.
Hugh b1918 Coventry, d1945 Saye Burma (KIA serving with 2 Norfolks). No marriage.
Nicholas Bernard b1923, Coventry d1991 Lockerbie.  Children: Daniel & Christopher.
Clement Joseph b1927 Coventry, d2007 Coventry. Children: Clement Hugh (Me) & Ruthmary.

I trust this adds a little colour to another side of the Gillan story, although there is of course much more to tell.

Clem

Offline FINNE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 21:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that's great to hear from you and have more information.  My mother told me a little but Hugh and Mary died when she was very young.  She remembered they had a big dog or dogs and that Mary was short and very wide! I visited Glasgow a few years ago and saw where they lived.

Frank Gillan's children were  Kathleen my mother b1918, Frances b1926(son Norman) and Hugh b1916 (no children).  Hugh went to sea, then lived in Middlesborough and he was not in contact with his family for many years up to his death in 1980s - I only found out where he ended up ifrom the internet in 2004.  My mother and Frances both lived in England.  Frances died last year and my mother in 2003.

Was Anne the sister that married Tommy-Joe Feeney and lived in Sligo? - If so I met their children Mary and Anne and Anne's children in Sligo, plus when I was a child we visited Marie who was brought up by Nicholas Gillan (and once met her children) in Ropley, Hampshire.

Anne Keenan was Hugh's mother. I think she married Peter in 1843 in Old Kilpatrick.  After she died in 1867 (?approx) , Peter Gillan remarried but it's not clear what happened to Hugh as he doesn't appear in census records along with Peter's new family. In Hugh and Mary's marriage record it doesn't say Anne but maybe it's a mistake.

I was interested in the Irish connection.  Nicholas Browne our GGGF was a waiter in Dublin, and Mary's mother was there too, but I have no idea where the Gillans came from. Thomas Gillan GGGGF was a cattle dealer.  Until 'Who do you think you are' fund the research (ha ha) that's all I know and maybe it will remain a mystery!

Best wishes
Fiona

Offline hardhatharry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
Fiona

Mother will be amazed.  She knew Matilda (Millie) well as she visited Polly in Kenilworth.  Apparently she was a superb baker and her shortbread was absolutely splendid!!  Anne did marry Tommy-Joe Feeney; I understand that they spent some time living in Australia. 

Interesting about Sligo.  The Maginniss clan spent their summer holidays there in the 1930s but I do not know whether that was a Gillan or Maginniss connection; perhaps both? When you mention Marie do you mean Maria from Mexico?  There is a Gillian thread married to a Les Horn in Argyll but she has not responded.

You have done well to research so far back; many of the Irish records were destroyed after 1922.  The McGill connection is interesting. Bridget McGill is my GGGM but on the Maginniss tree. Is Hugh & Mary's house/tenement standing? :)

Clem

Offline elsiegee1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 October 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry if anyone has sent me a message in the last 2 years... I just spotted a facebook message from a couple of months ago and it prompted me to look at this -  I hadn't received anything as my email changed - I moved house and lots of other things. Anyway I'm back online now, hello! :)
Lorna
Gillan (Glasgow, Ireland & Devon), Smith (Coventry & Plymouth), Rice (Coventry & Birmingham), Henchcliffe (Derby, Stoke, Coventry), Randle (Coventry)

Offline FINNE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 October 14 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes, I saw a red tenement house at the census address (assuming I was in the right place!) and I think so as my mother lived only a few hundred yards from it on the edge of a council estate and her houese is still there. Yes Marie is Maria from Mexico. She was a really nice person.

I fould reference to Johanna Fane (Mary Gillan nee Browne's mother) in Dublin and I was told someone had a butcher's shop but I haven't any evidence of that.

Best wishes
Fiona

Mother will be amazed.  She knew Matilda (Millie) well as she visited Polly in Kenilworth.  Apparently she was a superb baker and her shortbread was absolutely splendid!!  Anne did marry Tommy-Joe Feeney; I understand that they spent some time living in Australia. 

Interesting about Sligo.  The Maginniss clan spent their summer holidays there in the 1930s but I do not know whether that was a Gillan or Maginniss connection; perhaps both? When you mention Marie do you mean Maria from Mexico?  There is a Gillian thread married to a Les Horn in Argyll but she has not responded.

You have done well to research so far back; many of the Irish records were destroyed after 1922.  The McGill connection is interesting. Bridget McGill is my GGGM but on the Maginniss tree. Is Hugh & Mary's house/tenement standing? :)

Clem
[/quote]

Offline PCanuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 29 January 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I have come across Frank Gillan in my family search. Would be grateful to know more information.
Gillan, Kennedy

Offline FINNE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm pretty sure the house still stands. I think it was rented - possibly from the council so they might know. I saw it about 20 years ago.  There is a grave - Hugh, Mary, Frank, Nicholas buried there.  Who are you related to?  If you pass through perhaps we could meet up?

Best wishes
Fiona