Author Topic: Simpson  (Read 4390 times)

Offline mawaltho

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Simpson
« on: Thursday 20 December 07 00:38 GMT (UK) »
SIMPSON,Arthur,b 16Sept.,1830 in Towie{this may be a misprint for Fyvie...no one alive to ask], his wife Margaret JOHNSTON b Sept 1829,his brother William b March 1819 and his sister-in-lawMary HENDERSON,b March 1830 emigrated to Canada   Arthur settled in Bruce County, Ontario and taught school near Teeswater. William went first to Chinguacousy Twp and then then to northern Huron County as a farmer He is buried in Wingham.  Seeking parents and siblings.  Thank you
SIMPSON ABD;PATRICK,LIM/TIP;THOMPSON,FER;BARRINGTON,LIM;WALTHO,LIM; ALTIMUS,FER; BEACOM,FER; BLACKHALL,DEV to LIM.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 December 07 23:00 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census - Strathdon, Aberdeenshire

Alexander Coutts    Head    54   Farmer 3 acres     b. Crathie, Aberdeenshire
Margaret Coutts     Wife      63                               b. Keldrammie,Aberdeenshire
Arthur Simpson      Nephew  20  Ag. Servant         b. Towie, Aberdeenshire
Margaret Simpson  Gt. Niece  14   House Servant  b. Keldrammie,Aberdeenshire

1841 Census - Tarland & Migvie, Aberdeenshire

John Simpson    60     Independent    b. Aberdeenshire
Arthur Simpson  10                                      ditto
Ann Stewart      15                                      ditto

Towie is the correct place name - not covered on IGI but there is an entry which has been posted by member of LDS church:

William Simpson  bp.26/3/1819 Towie, Aberdeenshire, son of John Simpson and Isobel Dickison - this couple married at Towie 21/8/1808.

Hope this is a start.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mawaltho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 December 07 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for your courtesy  The stats suggest that Arthur Simpson`s mother may have been a aCOUTTS   a name never mentioned by my elders in their sometimes heated genealogical discussions  verrryinteresting
SIMPSON ABD;PATRICK,LIM/TIP;THOMPSON,FER;BARRINGTON,LIM;WALTHO,LIM; ALTIMUS,FER; BEACOM,FER; BLACKHALL,DEV to LIM.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 December 07 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Looked up Margaret Coutts death on Scotlands People - she died aged 76 on 3/9/1862, married to Alexander Coutts, Crofter who was the informant of her death - cause of death not given but her parents are given as:

James Simpson, Farmer (deceased) and Margaret Simpson, formerly Williams (deceased).

The place name given on the 1851 Census transcript as Keldrammie should be, I believe, Kildrummy which is just up the road from Towie.   The parish births for Kildrummy are on IGI but the only Simpson ones there are:

Peter bp.6/4/1770, James bp.1/1/1762, George bp.19/10/1766 - entered as Symson and father of all 3 being a James.

Simpson baptisms at Towie are all children of previously mentioned John Simpson and Isobel Dickison (or Duckison):

Adam 7/7/1827, Alexander 4/1/1815, Barbra 5/7/1823, Isobel 4/1/1811, James 3/6/1809, Jane 16/11/1817, John 2/2/1813, William 26/3/1819 - alas, Arthur's not shown.

Only other one at Towie is Margaret 6/3/1837, dau. James Simpson and Margaret Milne and this could possibly be the Margaret - gt. niece - with Alexander and Margaret Coutts in 1851 (even though birthplace then is given as Kildrummy).

In Scotland the eldest son is usually named after paternal grandfather - as John and Isobel named theirs James this would tie in with the parents given for Margaret Coutts.

That's as much as I can find on-line I'm afraid.

Good Luck.

Annette

London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline mawaltho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 December 07 15:02 GMT (UK) »
sub-query if you like A]were there Asssisted Emigration Schemes in the 1850s from Scotland?        B]What would have been the likely port of departure   Glasgow?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 December 07 22:28 GMT (UK) »
The honest answers are 'I don't know'.   I would have thought there was something as so many people emigrated during this period.   Logically, one would think from Glasgow but possibly it would have been Liverpool.

Hopefully a more informed rootschatter could answer this one.

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline mawaltho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 December 07 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Since postinghave talked to a relative who understood that William came to Canada first , with his parents. Simpson Senior was a  teacher. My relative has been unable to locate the burial place of the parents and wondered if they "gave it up as a bad job" and returned to Scotland  Again, thankyou for your assistance

Offline diamondr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Since postinghave talked to a relative who understood that William came to Canada first , with his parents. Simpson Senior was a  teacher. My relative has been unable to locate the burial place of the parents and wondered if they "gave it up as a bad job" and returned to Scotland  Again, thankyou for your assistance
I have all the info on William Simpson since he came to Canada. He and his brother settled on farms just down the road from me. They are buried in Wing ham , Ontario. I put together a small book on them a few years ago.