Author Topic: McAngus, McKenzie & Tarrel, Hilton of Cadboll  (Read 42626 times)

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
Re: McAngus, McKenzie & Tarrel, Hilton of Cadboll
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 February 09 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Yes my Gt Granny Ann McAngus was more commonly called Nancy. She married Neil Mackay from Tain. That's where my mother Angela Mackay grew up. Her father Donald Mackay was a milkie and still lives in Tain.

I have a daughter Margaret McAngus down for Donald & Dolina as well. That was information that came from my grandfather way back. I have her as unmarried, although it's possible my Grandfather got that worng somehow.

Do you have dates of birth for the other siblings? because unfortunately I don't, but I would like to obtain that information for my tree.

Graham
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline jessudd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 April 09 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I'd appreciate information on the Texas family if you're still following this post. I believe I am descended through their William McAngus and Jessie McKenzie's son William McAngus (married to Lizzie Ross). I'm just beginning to trace the family, so I'd love to get some confirmation on this and any more information that you might have.

Also, I'm a bit confused--I've read some reports that they are from Tain in Ross shire, and here it says they are from Hilton of Cadboll. I'm not at all familiar with the area, so I'd also appreciate some clarification on their location. Thank so much!!

-Jessica
McAngus, McKenzie, Ross, Sudduth, Dutton, Behrens, Stephens, Cantrell, Baland

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 April 09 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessica,

I have Will McAngus and Elizabeth Ross on my tree with 4 children: William, Jessie, Marvin and Chrystelle.

Will's parents were as you might know; William McAngus and Jessie McKenzie. Both were from Hilton of Cadboll in Fearn parish, Ross-shire. William sailed for America in 1866 and Jessie in 1867. They were married at Pflugerville later in 1867. William was born 24/10/1841 at Loth in Sutherland. The family had moved there for a brief spell, but returned to Hilton. Jessie was born at Hilton in 1849.

William's parents were Donald McAngus and Barbara Vass, my GT Gt Gt Gt Grandparents. Donald was born at Hilton on 16/10/1799. He was a fisherman, as most of the male poulation of Hilton were. His parents were; Donald McAngus b.1776 and Helen Ogg (or Young). This Donald was the son of Donald McAngus and Margaret Vass. He was born at Hilton in 1747. I believe he was the son of John Mcangus and Ann Cameron.

Hope that helps

- Graham
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID

Offline jessudd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 April 09 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much!! What great information! Jessie McAngus was my great grandmother (for whom I was named). She married into the Sudduth family and remained in Texas (Eldorado in Schleicher County).

Thank you for sharing your research with me!!

-Jessica
McAngus, McKenzie, Ross, Sudduth, Dutton, Behrens, Stephens, Cantrell, Baland

Offline WMGettys

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 April 09 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, Graham.

Yes, I am the eldest son of Ruth Jackson, who passed away in April. She was the last living grandchild of William, the McAngus who came to Texas.

I wrote a family history several years ago which included some information on Hilton. I will post here the first few paragraphs of one chapter. If you are interested, I will be happy to send you the entire book by email.

--Larry Jackson
  Texas

Hi Larry, My Name is William McAngus Gettys, I am  the GG Grandson of William and Jesse McAngus. My Grandfather was Eli Hugh "Mac" McAngus, through their son, Hugh. I would be very interested to see your book if you are still following this post.

Best wishes,
Will

Offline Urquhart59

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My Grandmother's name was Bella McAngus and she came from Hilton. She married Donald Urquhart of Tain and moved to Leicester, England, where my father was born. She died in 1969 and I think she was around 89 years old. We used to visit Hilton many years ago. I certainly remember the name "Tarrel", but I'm unsure if they were relatives or not. I may be able to find more information from my mother and some of the old family records if you're interested.

Regards,
Simon Urquhart

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 September 09 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Guys,  I believe the MacAngus's in the Villages were known as the "Cannisheek", that won't be the spelling but the nearest to its pronounciation. My own Gt'Grannie was a Helen Mackenzie from Londhu,Fearn Station. Her father Andrew Mackenzie and mother Ann Thomson, the last of them there died after the war Ebie Mackenzie, who was the local Seannachie, who would have been good on the RootsChat!! There is an old map of Hilton in the map section on "scotfamtree", great site folks. Have you read "My Uncle George" by Alastair Phillips, a smashing read, his uncle was the Free Church Minister at Fearn, Rev Mackay, and there's quite a bit about the Hilton folk,available in paperback, very funny. Cheers The Noo!......Skoosh.

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 April 11 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon,

I do have an Isabella McAngus on my tree, born 1878 at Hilton of Cadboll, so it could well be one and the same. She was the daughter of Hugh McAngus and Janet Tarrel, their 7th child of 9 as far as I can tell. Her brother Donald was my Gt Gt Granfather.
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE

Offline hiltonladdie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Guys,  I believe the MacAngus's in the Villages were known as the "Cannisheek", that won't be the spelling but the nearest to its pronounciation. My own Gt'Grannie was a Helen Mackenzie from Londhu,Fearn Station. Her father Andrew Mackenzie and mother Ann Thomson, the last of them there died after the war Ebie Mackenzie, who was the local Seannachie, who would have been good on the RootsChat!! There is an old map of Hilton in the map section on "scotfamtree", great site folks. Have you read "My Uncle George" by Alastair Phillips, a smashing read, his uncle was the Free Church Minister at Fearn, Rev Mackay, and there's quite a bit about the Hilton folk,available in paperback, very funny. Cheers The Noo!......Skoosh.
Hi Skoosh; Uisdean MacAngus ,of chapter 8 in My Uncle George,was my great grandfather,my grandfather being Alexander ( Aly-Uisdean) MacAngus of 2 King St Hilton. His brother Hugh was lost inn WW1 on the minesweeper HMT Dhoon , and they lived a short stones throw round the corner on Braefoot,where his widow and the daughter he never saw lived out their lives. His daughter Christina ,my mom's first cousin was very kind to me on my visits to hilton.