Author Topic: McAngus, McKenzie & Tarrel, Hilton of Cadboll  (Read 42524 times)

Offline hiltonladdie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McAngus, McKenzie & Tarrel, Hilton of Cadboll
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 14 August 11 02:47 BST (UK) »
#1 - my uncle seaman Alexander MacAngus , died at the helm of the minesweeper HMT Fleming  while  in active combat with German dive bombers in the Thames Estuary in 1940

MAcANGUS

Panel 3, Column 1.

Ord. Sea. ALEXANDER

Trawler

LT/JX. 196771. RN. Patrol Service. H.M. Trawler Fleming. 24th July, 1940. Age 20. Son of Alexander and Annie MacAngus, of Hilton, Fearn, Ross and Cromarty.

Offline hiltonladdie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 14 August 11 03:04 BST (UK) »
#2  - my great uncle Boatswain Donald (Dan) Tarrel of the SS Baron Dechmont ,torpedoed and killed off brazil 1943

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 15 August 11 15:48 BST (UK) »
Folks, there's some interesting Hilton stuff on this site, includes a wee poem,  "Old Sandy Vass's Wife"
http://www.talkingscot.com/forum/     Type in "Vass" top right.  I'm poor at copying these links!   Skoosh.

Offline upthetree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 03:55 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather , George William Davage was the newsagent who had the shop in Hilton. Would love to hear from anybody who can remember him. My Grandfather George F Davage born in 1916 left Hilton to join the marines as soon as he was able to and later settled in Portsmouth, my Father never met his Grandfather as he never visted Scotland . I know that Beatrice (George W's wife) was alive until 1958 and I think George was around until the 1960's at least.

Offline dweiner51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 07 January 13 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Larry,
I believe you were in touch with my cousin, Marilouis Stout from south Texas at some point as she has a book on the McAngus family that, I believe, you sent her.

I am a descendent of William and Jessie McKenzie McAngus.  Their daughter, also Jessie, was married to William Chapman and lived most of their lives in Austin, TX.  I remember "grandma Jessie", as we called her and remember attending her funeral in 1958, I believe, as a young girl.  One of her daughters, Beulah Ora (known as Billie) was my maternal grandmother's mother.  My maternal grandmother was named Hazelle Novella and her daughter (my mother) was named Billie Shari (known as Shari).  I lost my mother in September of 2011 unfortunately.

Another descendent of grandma Jessie, Mac Roy Rasor, lived near me in Dallas, TX until his death two or three years ago.  His mother, Mattie, was Beulah's sister so Mac Roy was was grandma Jessie's grandson.  He wrote a book shortly before he died and devoted the first part of it to the McAngus/Chapman family.  I have a copy of it.

I have much more information on this part of the family if you would like it and I would be most grateful to receive a copy of your book, it that would be possible.

If I may ask, where do you live?

My phone number in Dallas is * and my address is *.

I have just joined this group to communicate with you but I see there are lots of other folks who apparently are related as well.  I could not figure out how to respond to the entire thread - so am just responding to you!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,
Danielle Weiner

* Moderator Note: personal details removed in accordance with Rootschat policy. Please use Personal Message (PM) to exchange such information.

Offline dweiner51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 07 January 13 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessica,

I am trying to figure out if we are related.  My gggm was Jessie McAngus Chapman who lived most of her life with husband, William Chapman, in Austin, TX.  Jessie was the daughter of William and Jessie McAngus who came over from Scotland in, I believe, 1867 thru the port of Galveston.  My "Grandma Jessie" Chapman, whom I remember, and whose funeral I remember attending in 1958 was the mother of two daughters and, possibly, one son.  Her daughters were Beulah (Billie) Ora and Mattie.  Billie was my maternal grandmother's mother.

Does any of this sound familiar?  If so, I have more info I can share.

Best regards,
Danielle Weiner
Dallas, TX

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 07 January 13 11:00 GMT (UK) »
You might have already seen this folks,    http://www.fearnpeninsula.org.uk/

Skoosh.

Offline macdct

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hello - My name is David MacAngus and I am also looking to trace some of my family tree. My Grandfather who came to Canada in 1911 was named Donald MacAngus I have found a entry to Canada south of Winnipeg, Manitoba which makes me believe he came into Canada from the United States and may be connected to the MacAngus's of Texas. He went back to Scotland later that year or early 1912 as he married Catherine Ross Cumming in 1912 -Tain, Scotland and then returned here to Western Canada. He was I think a carpenter by trade
His mother and father names were John & Annie(MacDonald I believe)
I am told that his brother also immigrated to Canada in the Hamilton, Ontario area around the same time.
I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with more details
Thanks

Offline Anne Clement

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 26 April 15 04:45 BST (UK) »
My name is Anne Clement and I am Tom Brunton's sister.  I am sorry to say that he passed away On April 17th 2015 and will be sadly missed.  I was born at 2 King Street, Hilton and last visited in 1988 when my Aunt Jessie MacKay passed away.  I have many fond memories of my time there.