Author Topic: Birth Look Up - George Thomas Gibson - Somewhere in Scotland!  (Read 4977 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Birth Look Up - George Thomas Gibson - Somewhere in Scotland!
« on: Monday 03 January 05 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

Can anyone please help me?!

I have a George Thomas Gibson in my tree.  He was born c1852 in Scotland.  His mother was Mary Ann Gibson who was born in South Shields, Co Durham.  I'm not sure who his Father is as he isn't on the 1861 census.  It appears that the family went to Scotland and returned again as the 1861 census has them living in Co Durham again.
I've looked on Scotlandspeople and can't find a record...any ideas?

Fingers crossed!

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Look Up - George Thomas Gibson - Somewhere in Scotland!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 January 05 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Do you have an age for Mary Ann from the census? Was she a widow?

Apologies if you already have this information.

Civil registration in Scotland didn't start until 1855, so you will have to find parish records for George. I only found 2 George Gibsons with mother Mary on the IGI born at around the correct time in Scotland.
They were
Birth:  13 JUN 1853   
Christening:  30 JUN 1853   Lonmay, Aberdeen, Scotland
Father:  GEORGE GIBSON   
Mother:  MARY HUTCHISON
(There is a sibling Alexander, born 1854. There is an extracted marriage record that may be theirs 22 JAN 1853   Crimond, Aberdeen, Scotland.
There are a number of submitted records for the marriage on the IGI. One of them has George Snr dying in 1904.)
and
Birth:  06 APR 1853   Falkirk, Stirling, Scotland
Father:  DAVID GIBSON   
Mother:  MARY NIMMO

There are 2 records on the IGI for Mary Hutchison born South Shields - rather a strange batch - doesn't specify whether extracted or submitted!!! and doesn't have a film number. It may be the index from a paper file.

Christening:  09 MAY 1824   St Hilda'S, South Shields, Durham, England
Father:  John Hutchinson   
Mother:  Mary Ann Hutchinson
and
Christening:  09 DEC 1821   St Hilda'S, South Shields, Durham, England
Mother:  Ann Hutchinson

The only Mary Nimmo in the time frame on the IGI in Durham was born 1830 at Castle Eden.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 January 05 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Thanks for looking that up!!

There are so many questions...was Gibson Snr Scottish?  Was he called George?  Thomas?  Neither of those?

Mary Ann Gibson was 36 on the 1861 census and was listed as married although her husband was nowhere to be seen, and 44 on the 1871 census.  By this time she was widowed.

As far as I'm aware, George Thomas Gibson was the eldest son...but then I suppose I'll never know!!  It just so frustrating...why do mine always seem to fall outside of the records?!!? ::)

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 January 05 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Emma & Happy New Year !

I don't want to through a spanner in the works, but I'm about to ! Just done a search on Freebmd, there was a George Gibson born in the June qtr of 1852 SOUTH SHIELDs. Could be your man, it's not unkown for enumerators to put down the wrong birthplace, I know from experience

Jean ???
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 January 05 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Keeping all options open at the moment!  Could be possible I suppose...worth looking into, like so many other leads...

With my other branches I've been lucky in that I've found people who have been researching the same lines...if there's anybody out there, let me know!

Thanks for looking!

Regards, Emma ;)