Author Topic: A mystery  (Read 2221 times)

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
A mystery
« on: Wednesday 26 December 07 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Ok, I've got a tricky one for everyone.
It is a family puzzle but last night i dreamt about it so i thought i might try making more effort to find out what went on!

My great granpa was told that his mum had died and it was not till he was older that he was told the truth, that she had run away with the lodger  :o

I have found the family in 1901 but i can't find out what happened to my great great granny.

I'll give you the facts that I have:-

James Campbell Harris, born 1870, ayrshire.
Elizabeth Tennant, born 1870 in Glasgow.

His paarents were Andrew harris and barbara Campbell.
her parents were James Blackie tennat and Jessie Main.

James and Elizabeth were married in 1893 in Glasgow.
There children were Elizabeth T tennant, (1892 - 1893)
Andrew Harris (my great granpa ) 1895 -
james Harris 1897 -
They were all born n Glasgow.

James Campbell Harris died in 1945 in Milngavie, on his death certificate, I can see that he remarried (possibly bigamously) to Helen Clark.

In 1901 the family are living at 5 Holmhead Terrace,  cathcart, renfrewshire.
Their lodger is 23 year old david Crawford, a butcher.
I am assuming this is the infamous lodger, but i have no evidence for this.

Please, please, please coujld I have help with this one, i would love to know where my great great granny had gone, i know it will be hard ebcause she may have changed her name, but i would really love to know!

Caroline  ;D
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: A mystery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 December 07 14:32 GMT (UK) »
hi caroline

good news(maybe)

the national archives of scotland has james campbell harris and elizabeth tennent
divorcing in 1917
(sorry tried to put a link on but it didn't work)

ev

ps there's a marriage on scotlandspeople for a james harris and
helen clark 1921 lanarkshire.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 December 07 14:46 GMT (UK) »
hi
found the page again

ref no. cs46/1917/11/67 10th november 1917

james campbell harris v elizabeth tennent or harris

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 December 07 15:16 GMT (UK) »
oh wow thanks!!
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 December 07 15:19 GMT (UK) »
silly question - how do i find it on the website for the archives?
i'm not sure how to use  :-[

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 December 07 15:32 GMT (UK) »

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 December 07 15:44 GMT (UK) »
found it thanks!!  :-*

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 December 07 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I looked on the scotsman site and i have learned that elizabeth tennant was in the US when they divorced, so i am off to see if i can find her there!

Offline geoiain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 September 18 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did you ever find any trace in the USA of Elizabeth Blackie Tennant (born 3/10/87 in Tradeston) ?  I know your original post was some time ago!

I've just been doing the tree for the grand-daughter of James Tennant Harris (born 1898 in Cathcart) - James being the brother of your Andrew (born 1895) who married Anna Waite Leigh Kinney.

The Harris family emigrated to Australia in 1928 with the Rennie family - James married Manora Rennie in 1923 in Partick - however my friend returned to the UK in the 70's.  Her mum * , daughter of James Tennant Harris and Manora, is still alive and well in Australia, although now into her 90s.

George (in Cumbria)

* Edited , living.