Author Topic: FULLERTON Thomas, 58th Regt., 1828, Naas, Co. Kildare, IRE  (Read 2105 times)

Offline ausgenjourneys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
FULLERTON Thomas, 58th Regt., 1828, Naas, Co. Kildare, IRE
« on: Thursday 27 December 07 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping someone may be able to help.
I'm interested in finding out more about a Thomas FULLERTON who was apparently in the 58th Regiment in 1828. I've found a Church of Ireland Baptism for his daughter, Mary FULLERTON, at Naas, County Kildare, Ireland in 1828. Thomas' wife was named Agnes.

I was curious because I have been looking for my G G Great Grandfather, William FULLERTON, an agricultural labourer from County Kildare who married Mary DUNNE and arrived in Port Phillip, Australia as assisted immigrants in 1840. William and Mary were Catholic. The baptism above intrigued me because I have been told a family story about a soldier in the 'Spanish War' (the Peninsular War?) who may have married a Spanish girl. Also, one of William & Mary FULLERTON's grandchildren was named Agnes (my G Grandmother).

I could be on the wrong track... but anything might help!

I don't know what area of County Kildare my FULLERTONs came from, but other Kildare passengers on the same immigrant ship were married in Clane.
I have found very few FULLERTONs in County Kildare. One other was a Mick FULLERTON m. Eliza BROWN in 1845 in the Catholic parish of Kill, Kildare.

Any further information about Thomas FULLERTON from the 58th Regt. or any FULLERTONs in County Kildare would be most appreciated. Any clues are helpful  :)

The names 'Marcella'  and 'Derenzie Percival' could also have something to do with this family.

Thanks.
Regards,
Aillin

Ireland - O'Brien, Finnegan, McAllister, Gilmore, Fullerton/Folliard, Dunne, Carew, Hayes, Joyce, Mulhall, Coghlan, Guinane, Hogan, Hehir, McMahon, Colbert, Kinealy, McCarthy, Duggan, Tangney, Cronin, Mannix, Bowler
Wales - Ellis, Jones
England - Smith, Davey, Potter, Hutton, Preston, Kersey, Andrews, Heading, Matthews, Atkinson, Crisp, Pickis, Blows, Purvis, Chambers, Marrows, Randall, Judd, Brown, Peacock, Pettit, Simson, Flack

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: FULLERTON Thomas, 58th Regt., 1828, Naas, Co. Kildare, IRE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 December 07 06:02 GMT (UK) »
hi

from the national archives -

thomas fullerton born lockhall armagh(c 1795?)
served 1st foot regiment , 58th foot regiment , 80th foot regiment
royal artillery
discharged age 46 served 1812 to 1841

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=7&CATID=-3904117&j=1

would seem to cover the information you have

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 December 07 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aillin

The information Ev has found means that his service papers are on microfilm in Kew. If you cannot get to Kew to take your own copies I understand they will do it for you at 40-50p per sheet.

Early service records like these do not contain as much information about wives and children as later ones, but you should discover where he served, which might help with any marriages and births you can find. As you know the regiments you should also be able to track him using the Muster and Pay Books, at least for the three infantry regiments. These are original books in WO12/16 at Kew, so you will have to visit, or employ a researcher. Tracking a soldier using the Muster and Pay Books will take time, and to getting a full picture spanning 39 years will take a few days, so you should start by getting his papers.

If you do not get further information soon from this thread, I would post a new question looking for a medal roll lookup for the 1st Regiment, possibly also for the 58th Regiment, for the Peninsular War and Waterloo.

In order to get the MGS (Military General Service) medal for the Peninsular he would have to have been alive in the later 1840s when it was founded. The Waterloo medal was issued a few years after the battle. Any man at Waterloo was automatically awarded two years additional service towards his pension.

Ken

Offline ausgenjourneys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 December 07 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Ev and Ken for your replies to my message.  :)
I will try some of these research ideas!
Thank you again,

Aillin,
Australia
Ireland - O'Brien, Finnegan, McAllister, Gilmore, Fullerton/Folliard, Dunne, Carew, Hayes, Joyce, Mulhall, Coghlan, Guinane, Hogan, Hehir, McMahon, Colbert, Kinealy, McCarthy, Duggan, Tangney, Cronin, Mannix, Bowler
Wales - Ellis, Jones
England - Smith, Davey, Potter, Hutton, Preston, Kersey, Andrews, Heading, Matthews, Atkinson, Crisp, Pickis, Blows, Purvis, Chambers, Marrows, Randall, Judd, Brown, Peacock, Pettit, Simson, Flack

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk