Author Topic: David & John Williamson Brothers  (Read 6151 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
David & John Williamson Brothers
« on: Friday 28 December 07 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, I do apologise if I have asked for this before. I have quickly searched my previous posts but couldn't find what I was looking for. Maybe the same person could come up with the answer and I can thank them again personally.

David Williamson was born c1843 in Penpont, Dumfries and his brother John was born c1847, Girvan, Ayrshire. That is strange because their father was John Williamson born North of Ireland and I thought they named the first-born son after the father in those times. Their mother was Margaret Williamson (nee Halliday) also born Ireland. See 1851 census Twynholm, Kirkcudbright at Kempleton Mill Barn.....

Anyway, yesterday at the local library I found David or John I cannot remember which one on Ancestry 1891 census at Sorbie(?) Ayrshire. As I said before I think someone found this info for me. He was an engine ??????? and married to a Margaret. Could someone confirm this for me as sadly I didn't make a complete note of the details. I am also trying to find out what happened to the other brother.

Sorry if this is a bit long-winded. Just have a bit of patience please.

Thanks for any further information.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: David & John Williamson Brothers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 December 07 09:50 GMT (UK) »
hi judy

it was john you found age 43 born penpont dumfries'shire
engine keeper
married to maggie age 44
address woodhead sorn ayrshire

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 December 07 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi ev

Thanks for what you have found. I thought I was seeing things yesterday because I couldn't access my GenesReunited family tree to check details. Therefore, it would seem that the names/birth places were reversed on the 1841 Scottish Census from Twynholm. That is if this John Williamson is mine. It still seems strange that David was born first and not called John.

So, theoretically, I have to find David Williamson born Girvan, Ayrshire in 1847. They were a family of vagrants/ag labs in Kircudbrightshire in 1851. Margaret must have died because my John Williamson married in 1855 to my gtx2 grandmother, with 2 living male children (John and David?).

Nothing about this family is proved yet but thank you for your input.

Oh, by the way, what is an "engine keeper"? Do you have any ideas about that or should I post the question elsewhere?

Thanks once again.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 December 07 17:30 GMT (UK) »
hi judy

i saw john(b 1847) on the 1901 census and from memory
i think he was in charge of a steam engine at a coalmine
this would probably be a fixed engine for hauling up
coal or pumping out water
there's no fixed naming process david could have been named
after his grandfather and then john after the father
was jane marshall your 2x gt grandmother

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 December 07 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ev

Thank you for your further information. I looked up Sorn on Google and Genuki and there was a cotton mill there and coal mining too, so John must have worked in the area. N.B. More research to be done here. If this is my John I wonder how he could have progessed from Vagrant's son to Engine Keeper. No one has been able to find the "boys" on the 1861 census and someone suggested they returned to Ireland after their real mother died. I also couldn't find Margaret Williamson's death, up till now.

Yes Jane Marshall was my gtx2 grandmother and her family are VERY INTERESTING. I think I have found her parents wedding in Family Search on 23 December 1826 in Kilmaurs.  Her parents were Alexander Marshall and Jean/Jane Marshall (nee Caldwell). There appears to be a Marshall clan in Kilmaurs and apparently were well known as the "Horners of Kilmaurs" according to Andrew McCormick. I would love to find out if they go back to Billy Marshall King of the Tinkers!

I have had such a lot of help from people on this site for which I am really grateful.

Keep up the good work all of you.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 December 07 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ev

I have had some disappointing finds. I spent £12 on Scotlands People and traced the Sorn John Williamson back to his wedding to Maggie in 1869. It would appear that his parents are not the ones I expected i.e. John and Margaret Williamson. His census records were v. interesting though. He was a ploughman and married the daughter of an "Engine Keeper" so that's how he learnt the trade. Never mind eh?

The other disappointment came from GenesReunited. I thought I had found David Williamson is Wigtownshire too. I found a marriage at Sorbie but the contact I e-mailed said that his David Williamson had Isle of Man connections and the parents were different again.

I will have to delete the notes I made but it is all experience.

Thanks for all you have done.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 December 07 12:45 GMT (UK) »
hi judy

as a matter of interest who were the parents named on the
1869 marriage ?
i'm just wondering if we have the correct john
david is a bit of a mystery i wonder if died or lived somewhere else ?

ev

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi again ev

I have been away for New Year and only just returned. Give me chance to relocated "Viewed Records" at Scotlands People and I will certainly let you know what you want.

Bye for now.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi ev

Well, sorry the wedding I think is connected is dated 17 June 1870. John Williamson Ploughman married Margaret Murdoch Dairymaid Whitehill, Sorn Parish.

Parents of husband: Alexander Williamson Quarryman and Jane Williamson m.s. Still(?)

Parents of bride: John Murdoch Engine Keeper Isabella Murdoch m.s. Wyllie.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire