Author Topic: Blackadder in Falkirk.  (Read 48732 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Blackadder in Falkirk.
« on: Friday 28 December 07 09:56 GMT (UK) »
I spotted these three Blackadders in the Dictionary of Scottish Architects, 1840-1940.

Block of shops and offices for John W. Blackadder, Solicitor, Grahamston Station, Falkirk.
Bungalow for John W. Blackadder, Falkirk.
Villa for Thomas Blackadder, Falkirk.

Christopher

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blackadder in Falkirk.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 December 07 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Blackadder was a Motor Dealer in Falkirk, VW if I remember correctly, have you a cunning plan?

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 December 07 12:43 GMT (UK) »
A cunning plan . . . . and not a turnip in sight   ;)

Well, here's some more info on J. W. Blackadder: (From MI's in Camelon Cemetery, Falkirk)

John Wilson Blackadder, Solicitor, of 'The Crags', Major's Place, Falkirk was born c1870, died 1st October 1946 (aged 76 years).
His wife Phoebe Euodia (nee Sutton) was born c1892, died 15th May 1974 (aged 82 years)
Their eldest son Ian Williamson Blackadder, was born c1923, killed in action at Anzio 22nd January 1944 (aged 21) and was buried at sea.
Service No: 253617, H.M.S. 'Bruiser', Naval Auxiliary Personnel, Merchant Navy, commemorated on Liverpool Naval Memorial, Panel 8, Column 1

There is a discrepancy between what's on the MI and the details on CWGC for Ian Williamson Blackadder, this is:
The MI gives his rank as Petty Officer (Writer) R.N., indicating that he served in the Royal Navy, not the Merchant Navy as listed on CWGC.

And an 'earlier' Blackadder Family, also from an MI in Camelon Cemetery)

William Blackadder, born c1839, died at Linton Vale, Falkirk, 26th September 1893 (aged 54 years)
His wife Eliza Thomson, born c1850, died 19th February 1912 (aged 62 years)
Their son Thomas T. Blackadder, born c1869, died 6th December 1907 (aged 38 years)
Their daughter-in-law, (wife of Thomas T. Blackadder), Agnes M. Miller, died 5th January 1954 (age unkown)
Malcolm Blackadder, son of Thomas T. & Agnes M. Blackadder, killed at Marseilles 1st October 1922, 1st Officer, M.M. (Mercantile/Merchant Marines)

Isn't it amazing how when someone mentions something they've discovered - as Christopher did, it sparks off all sorts of wee snippets. Here's hoping someone somewhere will be looking for their Blackadder ancestors . . . . .

Anne  :)

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 December 07 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Anne,
This looks like great Blackadder information to me 8)

All we need now is for Dessie to have a look at it. Do you think a line should be sent to him telling him what has been found? Your investigative research talents indicate that you'd make a great reporter for the Ballymena Times

I think I'll join in the party. There's an extremely lengthy post about Blackadder family of Falkirk on Rootsweb which mentions an interesting book entitled "Elizabeth Blackadder" by Judith Bumpus. Dame Elizabeth Blackadder, RA is a widely acclaimed painter of still lifes and landscapes, living in Edinburgh. The book contains some information about her family, and includes details about the Falkirk Blackadders and their origins.

Christopher

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 December 07 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Here's hoping someone somewhere will be looking for their Blackadder ancestors . . . . .

Unfortunately they are harder to track down than the unusual name might suggest.

I have Margaret Blackadder born circa 1776 marrying into my lineage (married to James Sinclair) in Stirling area .... in 1841 census he is listed with  what appears to be a second and younger Margaret Blackadder who is listed under her maiden name indicating she may be a relative of his wife although there is no listing for his wife (possibly deceased prior to this census)

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 December 07 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Falkryn,

Blackadder "The Real Damn Dynasty" is on Rootsweb. There's a group of six guys
and two women researching the Blackadder name and variations of the name.

Christopher

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 December 07 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

I don't know about 'investigative research talents' - my family call it 'mad graveyard obsession'  ;D

I doubt if any of it will be of any interest to Des (I read the thread you posted the link to) as there might not be any link to Scotland.

I've bookmarked the other link on the Falkirk Blackadders to have a look at later.

Anne

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 December 07 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,

There are strong connections between Co. Antrim and Scotland.

Christopher

Offline David-G

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 09:49 BST (UK) »
I've just joined Roots Chat and suddenly I was pointed to a post about my Gt Gt Gt Gt Grandmother, Margaret Blackadder. I'm sure it's the same one as I also have her married to a James Sinclair.

If anyone has more information, I'd be grateful.

Thanks

David