Author Topic: Blackadder in Falkirk.  (Read 48730 times)

Offline David-G

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blackadder in Falkirk.
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 11 July 09 11:55 BST (UK) »
Re my previous posting, I've been having another look, and I am somewhat confused now. So a bit of thinking aloud here! Apologies if it doesn't make sense!

I have the Census form you mentioned, and I looked at it again, and agree that her age appears to be 45, giving a year of birth of c1796.

On my Genes Reunited tree, for some reason, I had her year of birth as 1776, which would make her 65 in 1841.

Now, I have a number of children for James Sinclair and Margaret Blackadder - as per the following from Scotland's People:

No Date Surname Forename Parent Names/Frame No. Sex Parish City/County GROS Data Image Extract
1 13/02/1817 SINCLAIR ALEXANDER JAMES SINCLAIR/MARGARET BLACKADDER  St Ninians /STIRLING
2 10/08/1815 SINCLAIR BEATRIX JAMES SINCLAIR/MARGARET BLACKADDER  St Ninians /STIRLING
3 18/05/1811 SINCLAIR JANET JAMES SINCLAIR/MARGARET BLACKADDER  St Ninians /STIRLING 
4 24/03/1804 SINCLAIR JEAN JAMES SINCLAIR/MARGARET BLACKADDER  St Ninians /STIRLING 
5 16/04/1805 SINCLAIR JOHN JAMES SINCLAIR/MARGARET BLACKADDER St Ninians /STIRLING 
6 28/07/1813 SINCLAIR MARGARET JAMES SINCLAIR/MARGARET BLACKADDER St Ninians /STIRLING 
7 26/04/1807 SINCLAIR WILLIAM JAMES SINCLAIR/MARGARET BLACKADDER St Ninians /STIRLING

The youngest being born in 1804. Fits with Margaret being born c1776.

However, another relative and I had a theory. Could the Margaret Blackadder on the 1841 Census be a niece rather than a wife? Given the birth in 1804 (and others) with parents John Sinclair and Margaret Blackadder, is it possible the wife died before 1841 and her niece moved in? A niece also called Margaret? Could this explain the use of the name Blackadder rather than Sinclair in the Census?

Any other theories?

David

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 11 July 09 12:22 BST (UK) »
Yes !
Using the Scottish naming tradition, if Margaret Blackadder was a daughter of William Blackadder and Jean Burgess who had John B. in 1770 and James B. in 1778, both in St Ninians, then she and James Sinclair would name their 1st born daughter, Jean (which they did) and 2nd born son, William (which they did).
Looks a good hypothesis!
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 11 July 09 13:58 BST (UK) »
Another wee snippet for you guys ........

According to Michell's pre-1855 Book, St. Ninians Old Churchyard, East Stirlingshire there were 2 Blackadder stones when they carried out their survey (late sixties/early seventies)

1787    J.M.   J.C. (Male Blackadder & wife J.C.)
James Blackadder & wife Janet Rea

William Harvey (son of George Harvey who died 1835 & Elizabeth Jeffrey who died 1811) & wife Euphemia Blackadder died 19th May 1917

There is a note in the book beside No. 2, above, saying that Sir George Harvey, son of George Harvey & Elizabeth Jeffrey) was the President of the Royal Scottish Academy, so presumably a brother of William.

Anne

Offline Pam Chetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 11 July 09 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi DDJJake and David and Anne

I have downloaded from SP the 1841 census for Margaret Blackadder and James Sinclair, and David they are on the same page as James Blackadder b abt 1765 and his son William b abt 1811 and daughter Jean b abt 1805, I cannot help still feeling that they are connected, I will attach census

Just to add a little more complication, I have found a death in 1856 in Glasgow for a William Blackadder widower, b abt 1780, parents William Blackadder and Jean Burgess so another sibling for John and James. I have searched the 1841 and 1851 censuses for this William and for the nephew James Blackadder who was the informant of his death cert but so far without success. I have also searched for a marriage for this William but again without success, Can anyone decipher this William's occupation on his DC?

I think I have found William Blackadder on the 1851 census he was a Herbalist born in St Ninians abt 1893 so dates are very distorted his daughter Jane was born 8 Sept 1820 in Ayr and he had a son William b 30 Jan 1823 in Ayr and his wife was Janet Johnston

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Anne thank you for your input every little helps and I have found Euphemia  Blackadder in St Ninians Stirling on the 1841 census with her father Alexander Blackadder b abt 1781 in Scotland and siblings Elizabeth and John W their mother was Elizabeth Fraser

My connection is to the Falkirk Blackadders so thank you for the information about William Blackadder and Jean Burgess being the parents of John Blackadder who married Mary Kerr, I had suspected this but could not prove it

Regards
Pam

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 11 July 09 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam & other folks seeking Blackadders ...
Have a look on Ancestry (if you are a worldwide member with Blackadders in your trees).
About 9 others smartmatched with my Blackadder lot ... many clearly in Australia.
Aye
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline Pam Chetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 11 July 09 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi DDJJake

Just thought I would pass on the new info on William Blackadder  b abt 1780 to William Blackadder and Jean Burgess, I have attached the information

I will check on Ancestry

Regards
Pam

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 11 July 09 22:22 BST (UK) »
Yet another wee snippet ......

There is a plaque in the Church of the Holy Rude in Stirling which reads:

"Near this place are deposited the remains of a brave soldier and devout Christian JOHN BLACKADER, Esqr.
Late Lieutenant Colonel of the Cameronan Regiment
He served under the Duke of Marlborough in Queen Ann's Wars
And was present at most of the engagements in that Reign
He died Deputy Governor of Stirling Castle in August 1729 aged 65 years"

Anne

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 11 July 09 23:26 BST (UK) »
You might find this interesting.   

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/nation/blackadder.htm

I too have Blackadder in my tree.

My g g g grandmother Eliza BLACKADDER b c1827 , [parents tentatively were William BLACKETER c1878  d1847 and Jane nee EVANS bc1787 they married 1810].  Eliza married James ARBUCKLES and their son James [name deviated to ARBUCKLE] b1846 eventually came to NZ and in Timaru on 28 Nov 1881 married Sarah GUEST from Cheshire .. and ta da years down the track here i am.

Cheers
Sarndra
www.sarndra.com
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline Pam Chetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 12 July 09 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarndra

Where were your Blackadders located exactly, it is interesting that one of the Blackadder marriages that I have is for John Blacketer (same spelling as yours) to Mary Kerr in Clackmannan in 1794, I will attach a copy for you

Regards
Pam