Author Topic: St Raphael's House, Torquay  (Read 34376 times)

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
Re: St Raphael's House, Torquay
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 November 08 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Terry
Can you tell us?
Is this building still there ?
Or long gone?
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 November 08 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Long gone I'm afraid, modern(ish) housing on the site of both St Raphaels & St Lukes. It is difficult to date any pictures because I don't think, from what I've been told, that many alterations took place until the buildings were taken over and used as a naughty boys boarding school.
If I can remember where I put it I have an exterior photo which I got a while back.
Terry
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 November 08 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Terry
Would love to see it if you lay your hands on it
Always interested in all things Torquinian (did I spell that right ?)
Mog
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 14 November 08 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry and Mog

I understood that the school was called Pitt House school and closed in 1982. There's a video (if you can stand the sentimental music) which shows lots of clips of the school in various stages of demolition, including the hall as shown in the marvellous postcard you found, Mog. The URL is -

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8539736339050039017

I enjoyed it a lot once I turned the sound off!

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 15 November 08 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, found a postcard of the view from St Raphaels, and a postcard of the exterior of St Lukes(sorry not St Raphaels) that was next door and run by the same order of sisters.
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 15 November 08 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Dear Terry
Super photos
There were and still are so many fabulous villas and building down there
Hope AngelaR likes
best wishes
Mog
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline shaun lodge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 November 08 21:00 GMT (UK) »
hi to you my name is shaun i whent to a school in torquay it was called pitt house school before it was pitt house it was st Raphael.s i have got lots of old photos of the old place and a lot of of photo's of when it was a boys school if you would like to know any more you can get back to  i live in stroud so i am not that far away from you or you can get me at my e-mail is 

Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure personal message system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You .

I've been  hunting down my Virgin relatives from Devon for some time and have just found my great-grandfather's sister Ann Virgin (does that make her a great great aunt?) in St Raphael's House, Torquay on the 1871 census.

Having done the usual Google search, all I can find is that it was a convalescent home run by the Sisters of Mercy. The boarders appear to be of mixed social status and not all young so I assume it's not the sort of place where girls were sent to have illegitimate babies. Does anyone know anything about it and whether there are any records anywhere?

Thanks

Angela

Offline shaun lodge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 November 08 21:12 GMT (UK) »
hi my name is Shaun
i would like to let you all know i have got a lot of old photo's of st Raphael's  that was in torquay it was in hr lincome road when st Raphael closed in 1959 it was taken over by a Mr spedding and it was then called Pitt house school i was at the school it is all gone now there is some of the old will still there if any of you out there would like to know any thing that i have got you can e-mail me on

Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure personal message system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You .

i live in stroud in gloucester  would like to help you all many thank
shaun

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 24 November 08 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun
So lovely to hear from you - and welcome to Rootschat - keep posting!
I had a brilliant but maybe precocious childhood in Torquay and now 50 years later I feel much younger! If you know what I mean.
I spent entire Summers as a child in the 1960s rummaging around in the ruins of old villas - mostly in the Warberries (I do not know the Lincombes so well) and it is a feelin that always stayed with me.  A love of beautiful houses (and ruins). I am now one of that 'a cursed breed' an estate agent - in Notts - but the houses are (I have to say) far more enchanting for me in Torquay. As a child I dreamt of living in a house with one of those gorgeous verandas and with a glass canopy - dream on!
So please tell us your story -
mog
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY