Author Topic: What happened to Emma Jane Hales  (Read 11360 times)

Offline Alta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Emma Jane Hales
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 December 07 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Emma Jane Hales  19 father George married  James  Leigh age 21 father William Jan 18 1886   St James Gravesend   Record  can be found on City Ark register item 10 marriages 1877-1900 image  #372.

There is a James Leigh  b Sunridge Kent in 71/81census that could be the groom but I can't find  him in 1891/01 .

I am  interested in all  Kent  Hales.
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 December 07 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Alta,

Thanks for your confirmation that EJH did marry James Leigh - it's good to know we are going down the correct path.

We too are interested in all 'Hales' from Kent and have in excess of 400 members of the family collated.

Please let us know if you need any help with the same,

Regards,

Al & Al
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Surnames : Buss (Kent), D'Alton (Wimbledon), Millington (Hawarden), Hales (Kent), Mackie (Guernsey), Rabjohns (Devon), Roberts (Norfolk), Roser (Kent), Stevens (Buckinghamshire and Middlesex), Townshend (Norfolk), Weatherburn, Whiddett (Kent), Young (Kent)

Offline teralba

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 January 09 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

I noticed the post from Alandal on 31st Dec 2007 which mentioned having data in excess of 400 family members of the Hales.

My grandmother was Sarah Eliza Masters Hale (spelt Hales on her marriage certificate). She married Fred Muggridge 29th August 1891 at Southborough. A local newspaper report of her funeral in 1933 q4 mentions John Hale (cited as a brother) as a mourner.

I believe I have her family in the 1881 census:
   John Hale head at Folkestone upholster aged 35 from Newington
   Mary wife aged 35 from Folkestone
   Sarah daughter aged 14 from Folkestone
   John son aged 12 from Folkestone
   Henry son aged 10 from Folkestone
   William son aged 5 from Folkestone

By 1991 the family is still at a different address in Folkestone. The son John has left the household, and Sarah is at a different address as a servant.

There is a birth record for John senior registered Hackney 1845 q1.

I cannot locate the family in 1871 or reliably locate John in earlier census records. Any further information that you have about John Hale, his family, or the surname of his wife Mary would be very much appreciated. I can naturally provide pretty full information on the subsequent life of Sarah and her descendants if that is of interest to you.

Regards

Alan Muggridge

Offline Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 January 09 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Alan,

Whilst your Hale family has no "S" - we have found the John Hale mentioned, in the 1871 Census under reference RG10 1014 Folio 90 Page 59

However his wife is shown as Elizabeth, who looks like she died in the quarter ending Sept 1872. John must have married Mary after then.

Will let you know if we find any further information for you,

Al & Al
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Surnames : Buss (Kent), D'Alton (Wimbledon), Millington (Hawarden), Hales (Kent), Mackie (Guernsey), Rabjohns (Devon), Roberts (Norfolk), Roser (Kent), Stevens (Buckinghamshire and Middlesex), Townshend (Norfolk), Weatherburn, Whiddett (Kent), Young (Kent)

Offline Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 January 09 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Alan

John Hale Snr is shown as born Newington Middlesex (not Kent) in 1871 and using that information have found him in 1851 Census (Stoke Newington) with parents of James and Sarah, along with two brothers and two sisters (HO107, 1503, Folio 115, Page 39

We would recommend that you obtain the marriage/birth Certificates for John Hale to ensure you are going down the right family line

Al & Al

Offline teralba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 January 09 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Al and Al.

Thanks indeed for your prompt replies. It is Monday morning in Australia, so I'll have to wait until later in the day to look at them in detail and respond.

Regards

Alan

Offline teralba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 January 09 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Al and Al.

Sorry not to have responded to you. I've been working on another thread, and as the temperature here is still around 40 C at 9.30pm I'm just about out of steam tonight. (I did promise myself about three months ago that I'd get the aircon fixed before summer).

I've found the 1851 census entry ok, and that looks pretty plausible. My current subscription is the web site TheGenealogist, and it doesn't seem to offer me a search by reference numbers. Would you be able to give me the county in which the 1871 entry was reported?

To be brutally honest the possibility of a remarriage on the part of my great grandfather had just not occurred to me - you really need to consider all possibilities don't you?

Thanks again

Alan Muggridge

Offline Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 January 09 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Alan,

Their Address in 1871 was 16 Queen Street, Folkestone, Kent with the following :

John 26 Upholsterer
Elizabeth 24
Elizabeth 5
Sarah 4
John 2
Henry 4 months

Hope you can track them down now,

Al & Al

Offline teralba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 January 09 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alandal.

I've just spent an hour trying all the wildcard and variant options I can think of on my current subscription service and not got a sniff of that family in 1871. I'll be considering that quite strongly when the subscription expires in March - might be time for a switch back.

However, you have considerably clarified the matter for me - the family you describe is clearly mine - thanks indeed!

Are you finding that Hales and Hale are quite distinct, or are both forms appearing in your family? I ask because my grandmother was recorded as Hales on her marriage certificate, although my father's name was John James Hale Muggridge, and the form Hale appears everywhere else

Regards

Alan