Author Topic: Sir John Moore family  (Read 2070 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Sir John Moore family
« on: Friday 28 December 07 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Is there any chance Sir John Moore of the Peninsula wars tho born in Scotland had connections to the ancient family of Moore who owned Kentwell Hall at Long Melford .Suffolk as quoted in a magazine  I read  dated Nov . @21st 1838.
In Sept 1800 the owner of the house was Richard Moore Esq.
The property became the property of Hart Logan m.p. .
Also could i have Sir John Moores London address ?
I am trying to see if he was friends with Brigade Major Charles Jones of the 15th Hussars . Brigade Major Jones was born in Sudbury >Suffolk.near Long  Melford
i have read a report that puts them together at Sir John's death .
Thanks >
Jan
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Oblivion

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir John Moore family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 March 08 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,
         That Richard Moore sold Kentwell 1823 & died bankrupt in a debtor's prison.The numerous John Moores are connected with the building of Appleby School.If you 'google Moore Family Pedigree' quite a lot comes up-I'm trying to get info on the Robert Moores after 1747 to see if there's a connection on my G.Fathers side if you find anything?????Good Luck
                              Regards Oblivion

Offline emorrisn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sir John Moore family
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 September 15 02:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Are you a relation of Sir John Moore? The Sir John Moore b.1761 and died in the Spanish War 1809?

Buried amongst my family notes, my mother in laws family is reputed to be related to him.

I have an Agnes Muir/Moore (the spellings are often changed I've noticed) unsure of birth date but died in 1929. Her father is a James Muir a coalminer, married Hannah McKay in 1853 in Barony, Lanarkshire. Hannah McKay came from a wealthy background but it seems James Muir did not.

Just thought I would reply to see if you had any information and by the very slim chance had further information on the Muir/Moore families.

Thanks!

Renfrewshire: MORRISON, LAUCHLAN, DUNLOP, TYRELL, HOLMES, COLQUHUON, PEACOCK, CRAIG, GIBSON, ADAM, GARRETT

Lanarkshire: MUIR/MOORE, URE, BEATON

Argyllshire: McGREGOR, MORRISON

Aberdeenshire: WILLIAMSON, HENDERSON, MOIR

Inverness-shire: FOX

Kincardineshire: REID, PATERSON, REITH, DAVIDSON

England: GLAISTER, GRAHAM, GURD

Ireland: TYRELL, RAMSAY, GURD