Author Topic: DORRINGTONS of Sawbridgeworth  (Read 8453 times)

Offline Kentish Maid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DORRINGTONS of Sawbridgeworth
« on: Saturday 29 December 07 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I'm new to the site, and was attracted here when I spotted that some members had been discussing my maternal grandmother's family, the Dorringtons.  My mum was only six when her mother died, so we have little knowledge of the family, but it seems that they originated from Sawbridgeworth in Hertfordshire.  The furthest back I have got is Daniel Dorrington, born around 1787, and his wife Ann.  They moved to Brighton; the family line then moves through George Dorrington (b 1821-ish) and Teresa Kelly, to their son Richard Dorrington (1841) who moved to South Shoebury in Essex and married Emily Knott, then to my great-grandfather John Ernest (1868), who ended up in the Milton area of Kent.

Does anyone have any good ideas of how I can find anything more about the Dorringtons?  I'm living quite a long way away now, so it's tricky for me to access parish records etc.

Thanks, L
Dorrington: Sawbridgeworth, Herts; Brighton, Sussex; Shoeburyness, Essex; Milton, Kent
Nicholls: Teynham, Kent
Spice: Bapchild, Kent
Tompkins, Goodwin, Cherry, Fry: Medway Towns, Kent

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: DORRINGTONS of Sawbridgeworth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 December 07 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Kentish Maid!

I hope that you will visit us often and make lots of progress with your research.  Please be sure to register your surnames on our SURNAME INTERESTS TABLE.

http://surname.rootschat.com/

Hertfordshire Parish Records are stored at HALS.  They do offer a research service but unfortunately this is not free, though some Herts RootsChatters do visit HALS and may be able to assist you.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24217.0.html

Sawbridgeworth Parish Records are also held by the LDS and they can be hired and viewed at any LDS Family History Centre worldwide.  They are often staffed by enthusiastic and knowledgable family historians who will be able to give you lots of useful advice.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

Rick :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 January 08 14:20 GMT (UK) »
I have a few Dorringtons on the fringe of my tree (married a great x3 great aunt, Mary Collis)

Samuel DORRINGTON married Sarah OZIER on 17 June 1815 in Watton at Stone, Hertfordshire. Witnessed by John Ozier and Sarah Carter.  On 26 December 1840 he was a Labourer

They had a son, Samuel DORRINGTON (1818ish-1902).
born in 1818 (approx.) in Watton at Stone, Hertfordshire.  He was baptised on 8 March 1818 in Watton at Stone.  On 26 December 1840 he was resident at Elder Walk in Islington, Middlesex, England.  On 26 December 1840 he was a Farrier in Islington.  He married Mary COLLIS on 26 December 1840 at the Parish Church in Islington. Witnessed by Thomas Painter and Susan Miles.  On 6 June 1841 he was resident at Clarence Terrace in Shoreditch, London, England.  On 1841 census he was a Brickmaker in Shoreditch.  On the 1851 census he was resident at 66 Princes Street in Shoreditch and was a Gas lighter in Shoreditch.  He died on 17 May 1902 in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia(IGI submitted record).

Samuel DORRINGTON and Mary COLLIS had the following children:
Aaron DORRINGTON, son of Samuel DORRINGTON and Mary COLLIS, was born Q4 1841 in Islington, London, England.  He appeared in the census in 1851 in Shoreditch, London, resident at 66 Princes Street in Shoreditch.  He died in Hamilton, South Australia, Australia.

David DORRINGTON, son of Samuel DORRINGTON and Mary COLLIS, was born in 1844 (approx.) in Islington.  He appeared in the census in 1851 in Shoreditch, resident at 66 Princes Street in Shoreditch.  He died on 9 February 1932 in Allendale, South Australia, Australia.

James DORRINGTON, son of Samuel DORRINGTON and Mary COLLIS, was born in 1846 (approx.) in Newington, Middlesex.  He appeared in the census in 1851 in Shoreditch, resident at 66 Princes Street in Shoreditch.

Caroline DORRINGTON, daughter of Samuel DORRINGTON and Mary COLLIS, was born in 1849 (approx.) in Islington.  She appeared in the census in 1851 in Shoreditch.  On 30 March 1851 she was resident at 66 Princes Street in Shoreditch.  She died in Nhill, Victoria, Australia.

Louis DORRINGTON, son of Samuel DORRINGTON and Mary COLLIS, was born in February 1851 in Shoreditch. 5 weeks old at time of 1851 census.  He appeared in the census in 1851, resident at 66 Princes Street in Shoreditch.

The Australia references are from IGI submitted records.  I've not followed them up at all, as they are quite distant rellies.  ... Though we do have a letter from an unknown Mrs L (for husband Lloyd?) G Staker of Evandale, South Australia, to a much closer Collis relation in Sep. 1949.  Bit of a long shot that they'd be related to the Dorrington-Collises that must have gone to Australia 50-100 years earlier.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nebian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 June 09 16:26 BST (UK) »
Daniel Dorrington is my 3x gt grandfather. I have a lot of information on the family if you would like to con tact me.
Pat

Offline Amy D

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 February 13 07:10 GMT (UK) »
I am writing about Amy Dorrington, a WW1 nurse. Samuel and Mary Dorrington were her grandparents. Amy was killed in an accident in 1934 at Tunkalilla beach in South Australia. At the time she was working as the local District Nurse. She was born in Marrabel in 1880. Amy's sister Louise was also a nurse and served in WW1 with the French Flag Nursing Corp. Louise's middle name is Collis. Happy to share any info I have.

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 19:38 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about James Dorrington born abt. 1791 in Bobbingworth, Herts, and who married Amelia Boreham I think.  I have him down as a brother for Daniel Dorrington
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)