Author Topic: ballyhaunis/knock/flatley-  (Read 31354 times)

Offline Cooty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ballyhaunis/knock/flatley-
« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 December 12 10:34 GMT (UK) »
I have a John Flattley born around 1804 in Knock.  He had seven sons, the youngest of which is my g-g-grandfather James, born 1846 in Knock.  I have absolutely no idea who the other six brothers are - no names, nothing.

John and James turn up living together in Tottenham, Middlesex, England in the 1871 census.  The following year they both emigrated to Australia together.  Then John just disappears.

I have photos of them both, along with a photo of John's wife, Mary Harrison (d. 1870, buried at Kensal Green Cemetery, England).

I would love to know what happened to the other six brothers.

Offline Cooty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 30 March 13 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Okay I found John's death certificate - he died in Richmond, Victoria, Australia in 1890 (86 yrs old, confirming born 1804). Usefully, his death certificate lists his parents' names - his father is another John Flatley and his mother is a Mary Rutledge. Given the first borns are usually given a parent's name, I'm wagering this John and Mary were born somewhere around 1780.  Any leads?  Hoping this might be in someone's tree somewhere, I've drawn a blank.

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 30 March 13 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

You might find eastmayo.org of some help.Not all of the pages are accessible unfortunately.

Offline Cooty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 30 March 13 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Padraig I'll give that a shot.

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 31 March 13 00:02 GMT (UK) »

Hi, I've had a quick look and a bit disappointing.

Flatley's were numerous in and around Kilmovee, even the family of the Flatley with the dancing feet, which is within walking distance to Ballyhaunis. Irishgraveyards.ie has a number of Flatley's buried in Ballyhaunis with the Townland they lived in marked on the headstones. It's going to be tricky but worth looking into.

You might find a combination with Rutledge and Flatley as sponsors on eastmato.org which might point you in the right direction.

Offline margym317

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 00:31 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was born at Ballyhaunis baptized at the Bekan church.  His birthdate was Feb. 4, 1874 and one of his sponsor was Kate Flately.  My grandfather was Thomas Paul Hoban and his parents were Thomas Hoban and Ellen Sloyan.  His grandparents were Patrick Hoban and Bridget Bones.  The baptism record was found on LDS Film #1279209.  My grandfathers home still stands today at Lisbane but the roof is in very bad shape.  21 Flateley's show up on Griffiths at Bekan. 
margym317

Offline springtime 60

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 17:52 BST (UK) »
hi everyone.
im no nearer at finding my next generation of flatleys.
not found my g grandfathers parents,
i do have a baptism record for a john flatley from bekan parish 1836,not sure if he is my greatgrandfather.
it was interesting to read that the dancing micheal flatley is from the same area.
 ihave a photo of my father with the same features as micheal flatley square forehead an those dipples in both cheeks,ive often wondered if the are from same line of flatleys.
             ann

Offline margym317

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 18:17 BST (UK) »
What is estimato.org?  Is that a genealogy site for Ireland? 
margym317

Offline Clare Stafford

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 17 April 17 04:23 BST (UK) »
I'm doing some research on my McNeive and Charles ancestors from Mayo/Roscommon/Cavan. My maternal great-great-grandmother, Bridget Charles, was Julia Charles Flatley's older sister.