Author Topic: Bonar (Bonner)/ Toner/ McGettigan/ Devenny/ McMonagle/ McGinley etc  (Read 70298 times)

Offline KevinMc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bonar (Bonner)/ Toner/ McGettigan/ Devenny/ McMonagle/ McGinley etc
« Reply #108 on: Friday 17 November 17 19:35 GMT (UK) »
I am the great grandson of Thomas McGettigan and Mary Gallagher McGettigan, my grandfather was their son John. Great to see some of this information on these posts, if you have more please share!
Thanks, KevinMc

Offline KevinMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Friday 17 November 17 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Thomas and Mary McGettigan would be my great grandparents, my grandfather was their son John.

KevinMc

Offline KevinMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Friday 17 November 17 19:47 GMT (UK) »
These are my McGettigan's, John and Mary Dorrian would be my great great grand parents.

KevinMc

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Friday 17 November 17 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat KevinMc

This post seems to go on and on :) I don't think we ever did find out why the McGettigans were at my great great uncle's funeral or how they are related. However did you see Gerber's post below?

Here I go again.

This is a very long reply, but,
I will tell you what I know about the McGettigans listed below.

I know I have no information  on the Toners, but with the likes of HENRY, CATHERINE and others reading your page,  they they might be able to help us put it together.

1) Cousin   John McGettigan,   Killymard.

His father was Thomas, they are from Ballyare, Kilmacrennan, wife unknown, was she a Toner a sister to the Mother or Father of James Toner? 

They had about 11 children.

One of these children was John was my Great Grandfather.  He was born in Ballyare, Kilmacrennan. Co. Donegal.
Born in 1839 died 1908.
Married Mary Dorrian  of Drumlaghtafin in 1862, born 1842, died 1921. (her father was also a John).

They had 11 children. My grand father James born 1885 was the second youngest. The youngest Joe moved to Ballyshannon and had a shop there for many years.

John McG moved to Drumroosk, parish of Killymard, outside Donegal town.
Why did John move??
Looking at the Valuation for Drumroosk West in 1857 William McG was on the land. In 1860 Rev Fr. Thomas McG was in the next parish Haugh.  In 1868 John McG is on the land. 
He was also present at the death of a Charles McG, a widower, ages 91, a farmer of Drumroosk on 28 June 1869. Was he a relation, is that why he went to Drumroosk! Was Charles a brother of William?

2) Cousin   Patrick McGettigan   Killymard.

Son of John. Patrick inherited the farm in Drumroosk, from his father. Married twice, first wife and 2 of his children died in flu epidemic in March/April 1919.
He remarried and new wife, a yank,  reared his two sons and a daughter. One son  had the nickname of "Cisco".

3)  Cousin   Dan McGettigan   Derry. 

Brother of John. Living in Derry according to Census of 1901 and 1911. Bachelor. Cattle Dealer.  Sister Nelly/Ellen living with him. (The age discrepancy is huge over the ten years for both of them.)

4)  Cousin   Mick McGettigan   Derry.

Maybe a nephew of John, son of his brother Neil.  The only information I have on him is he owned a pub in Derry. Lived in 1 Anne St. Married a woman called Josephine. A still born baby died 29 Oct 1930. Michael died aged 56 in 1939.

5) Cousin   Neal McGettigan   Derry.

Neil McG brother of John. Married Mary Ann Devlin. He had land, I think through his wife in Ballymagowan and Creggan, Derry.
They had 4 children. Thomas, had a chemist shop in Strabane. Michael had a Public House in Bishop St Derry. Fannie did not marry, lived in 15 Chamberland St. Derry.
Annie married John Doherty they had 11 children. None married. She got land from her father.

6)  Cousin   Pat McGettigan   Ballarr.

Brother of John. Known as Big Pat, he married Susan Boyce. They had 7 children, this family is still in Ballyare to this day. One of his daughters Maggie, born 1897 married a Peter McMonaglel of Letterkenny. They had 7 children a boy called James McM was born Sep 1918 he was reared by Annie McMahon a sister of Maggie.

7) Cousin   Fanny McGettigan   Donegal.

A single daughter of John McG. Would have reared my Father Vincent and his brother Charles in The Mullens. Donegal Town. There mother, Tamar Gold, died on the birth of her 6th child. (big story her).

8) Cousin   Nelly McGettigan   Drumoghill.

Sister of John. See no. 3.

9) Cousin   Mrs. Gallagher   Drumbologne. 

No information.  But why is she included among the McG's?

10) Cousin   Bridget McGettigan   Killymard.

Daughter of John. Same info as no. 7.

11) Cousin   Mrs. Lafferty   Creeslough.

Daughter of John. Grace married Daniel, postmaster in Creeslough. Her sister Nellie was living with them according to census of 1911.

I hope you were able to keep up with all of this.  If you have any questions or information please contact us.

GERGER.

Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Saturday 17 November 18 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Gerger are you still around??? I hope so. The mystery of the Mcgettigans may be solved.

On Ancestry there was a 1841/51 census abstract with your John McGetiigan's family in Ballyarr Glebe. It relates to a pension claim made by John's sister Ellen. It states that their parents were Thomas McGettigan and Anne Park.

According to the census Anne McGettigan nee Park was born about 1816ish. My 2nd great grandmother Bridget Park was born about 1814ish.

Sisters perhaps....some sort of relationship must exist for the McGettigans to be cousins don't you think  ??? If they are sisters then Anne would be my 3rd great aunt.

mab  ;D

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin

Offline gerger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 04 February 21 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Well I went away for quite some time. It is amazing what lock down has brought me back to.
So delighted to see all the messages I have been missing.
I do hope Kevin and MAB, are still out there.

Gerger.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Thursday 04 February 21 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gerger

Still around :)

mab

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Thursday 04 February 21 00:48 GMT (UK) »
It turns out that the Anne Park that was married to Thomas McGettigan that I mentioned in my last post was my 2nd great aunt. I have two DNA matches to descendants of their daughter Margaret McGettigan who married a Patrick James Dorrian in 1877 :)

mab

Offline KevinMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Thursday 04 February 21 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Still around!
Thomas McGettigan and Anne Park McGettigan are my Great great great grandparents.