Author Topic: Bonar (Bonner)/ Toner/ McGettigan/ Devenny/ McMonagle/ McGinley etc  (Read 70301 times)

Offline ClarHa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bonar (Bonner)/ Toner/ McGettigan/ Devenny/ McMonagle/ McGinley etc
« Reply #99 on: Monday 01 September 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mabs  ;D

Triathlon - Catherine McDevitt (married to Patrick Harkin) was my great great grandmother.  I have her brother and sister and think her father was Rodger?  That's about it on the McDevitt side!
Do you have a connection to them?  Many thanks for your reply :)

Offline ClarHa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 07:11 BST (UK) »
Triathalon

Have just realised that I have a McDaid on my Great Great Grandfather's side as well, and as I've realised it's often used as McDevitt too  ???!
I'm looking for Patrick McDermott c1838 and his wife Rose McDaid c1840 from Glenket, Edenacarnan.    I have them in the 1901 census and have Patrick in the 1911, but not Rose.   Interestingly they have a Bridget Bonnar age 11 living with them as "farm servant" and this name also seems to be in this thread! 
Their children: Domnick McDermott 1871-1959, Hanna Mary McDermott 1874, Bridget McDermott 1878, Grace McDermott c1883 and Margaret McDermott 1887.

Any of these ring any bells?!  I'd be so grateful for any leads, I think I've hit the dreaded brick wall as regards records due to fire!  With many thanks  :)

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 15:26 BST (UK) »
Clarha:)

Not relevant to your inquiry above but every time you turn around in this area someone seems to be connected....:)

My Bonners lived in Gortnacorrib up until 1879-1880ish. They moved to Londonderry after that.
My great grandfather Alexander Bonner was married to Bridget Toner of Kirkstown in 1872. His father was John Bonner and her dad was Peter Toner.

Bridget Toner mentioned above had a connection to Catherine McDevitt (married to Partrick Harkin of Gortnacorrib) through marriage. Her brother Neal Toner married Bridget Houston whose parents were Neil Houston and Ellen McDevitt.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/1901Kirkstown.htm#Neil_Houston_and_Ellen

There were also other Bonner families living there. 

James Bonner who was married to Bridget Coyle in 1874. His father was James Bonner and her dad was Neil Coyle.

I also found a birth of a John Bonner born 1862 in Gortnacorrib whose parents were Patrick and Elizabeth Bonner.

The only Bonner left in 1901 was Bridget Bonner formerly Coyle. I don't know where her children went. They seemed to have disappeared.

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline Siam01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Friday 29 May 15 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Mabs,

I am interest in your Bonner family.  How far back have you gone?

I am looking for some Bonner family born from  1781 to 1786??

I was a little dishearten when I found out my ancestor was Irish not because he was from Ireland but because how difficult it is to find them in the 18th and 19th century.

Thanks   :)
Bonner

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Friday 29 May 15 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Siam01

Not very far back I'm afraid.....1858 in the Griffiths.

My Bonners are from a place called Gortnacorrib and while I've identified Bonners that lived there they are not there when the 1901 census was taken with the exception of one who is not related to me. I did find out the other day that her son went to Scotland. It makes it difficult to figure out who is related to who:)

My great grandfather Alexander Bonner and his family went to Derry around 1880 and after that I can find them.

I don't think my Bonners actually came from the area originally. I think they may have come from the north as that is where a lot of Bonners reside.

mab

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin

Offline Siam01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Saturday 30 May 15 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Mab,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

It was worth a try.  The Bonner's I am looking were from Londonderry area but unfortunately I don't know the parish which makes it hard. So I am now trying to find others who have Bonner's in their family tree to see if the may have the names I am looking and if they were able to go that far back to the 18th and 19th century.

Best of luck on your search.

Thanks again.  :)
Bonner

Offline edrowland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi I would like to raise again the McDevitt/Toner/Harkin/Huston/Boner families of Kirkstown and adjacent townlands. My ancestor Roger McDevitt of Kirkstown would appear to have children Catherine McDevitt married to Neil Huston: Ellen McDevitt married Patrick Harkin of Glenacorrib, Susannah McDevitt. Roger had a son Patrick.
A daughter of Catherine McDevitt and Neil Huston- Bridget Huston married to Neil Toner of Kirkstown.
Does this strike a cord with anyone ?

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Thursday 15 June 17 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hello...welcome to Rootschat

I can add one thing.

Patrick Harkin of Gortnacorrib (father Neil Harkin) married Catherine McDevitt of Kirkstown (father Rodger McDeviitt) on 02 Feb 1876. The record on Rootireland says that he married Mary McDeviit but that is incorrect as there is a scan of the original church record  at this link. See household 1 notes.

http://donegalgenealogy.com/1901Gortnacorrib.htm

Mab

Offline KevinMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Friday 17 November 17 19:22 GMT (UK) »
I had a look, and thanks to you I think I also found her brother.  Thomas, a boarder aged 21 and a railway porter.  He married a local girl Mary Gallagher from Kilraine. Had three children and died in 1907. His father mentioned him in his will of July 07, when he was leaving  five pounds each to the 4 of them. She moved back to parents for 1911 census.  Gerger.

I'm their great grandchild. My grandfather John was the their son. Any info about relative would be great. Thank you, KevinMc