Author Topic: St Michaels Dumfries MIs  (Read 20008 times)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Michaels Dumfries MIs
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 September 08 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen, thank you, regards stoop.

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 September 08 17:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you.   The book of St. Michaels memorials was written before the era you wanted so sorry Baldy I cannot look anything up for you.  If you get further back please give me a shout and I'll have a look for you.

Morag.
Brown, Murray, Copland, McGinely, Walker, Scott Telford, McKinnell, Crosbie, Kirkpatrick.

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 September 08 02:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you.   The book of St. Michaels memorials was written before the era you wanted so sorry Baldy I cannot look anything up for you.  If you get further back please give me a shout and I'll have a look for you.

Morag.

Hi.
Many thanks for the effort. AS you may see I live in Australia & find it difficult (if not almost impossible) to get relevant information for that era.

Again thank you for your effort

Regards
Baldy (au)
Beattie,Sproat,Thom(p)son,Ferguson,Callander,Cook,Wood,Smith,Grierson,Jamieson

Offline Helenmur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 September 08 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Baldy

Are they in St Michaels cemetery or St Michaels church yard as our local library has inscriptions from both

helen
Reid, Kirknewton,Kirkliston,Winchbrugh
Skachill, Roscommon,Galway
Gratten, Roscommon,Galway
Crow,Kirkliston,Illinois,Arizona,Los Angles
Shields Fife,Canada

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 September 08 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Baldy

Are they in St Michaels cemetery or St Michaels church yard as our local library has inscriptions from both

helen

Hi Helen.
Thank you for your contact.

To the best of our knowledge they are buried at St Michaels Cemetery,Dumfries.
I have not obtained a certificate as yet,so am going by information obtained via other means,
ei:- Mormans in the states--- etc.

Regards
baldy (au)
Beattie,Sproat,Thom(p)son,Ferguson,Callander,Cook,Wood,Smith,Grierson,Jamieson

Offline Helenmur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 20 September 08 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Baldy

private message me with as much as you have on them and I will phone the local council to get the plot number then I can go up and see what inscription is there for you as I only live about five minutes from there

Helen
Reid, Kirknewton,Kirkliston,Winchbrugh
Skachill, Roscommon,Galway
Gratten, Roscommon,Galway
Crow,Kirkliston,Illinois,Arizona,Los Angles
Shields Fife,Canada

Offline imitchel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 May 12 17:04 BST (UK) »
I am very interested to read all these postings about the Neishan/Neisham families of Dumfries, and I already had a great deal of the information that was posted.  I am not a Neisham descendant myself, but one of my family - George Mitchell McAllister - married Jane Neisham (daur of John N. and Helen Millar) in 1885.  She was George's 2nd wife, and they had 2 children.  The marriage witnesses were Mary Ann Mitchell and James Mitchell, and this peaked my interest.  Our surname of Mitchell was originally Mitchelson (from Kirkcudbrightshire).
A second connection came to light.  In the 1861 Census, a certain John Glancy/Glancey was boarding with my direct ancestors and then in June 1864 he married an Elizabeth Neishman.  This Elizabeth Neishman (on Ancestry pedigrees) is shown as a daur of George and Margaret, but on her marriage certificate, she gives her parents as Thomas and Jane.  I can't figure this out!
A third interest is in the James Mitchell, born in America circa 1889, who is the son of Mary Ann Cassels (or Casselis) Neisham, and who appears with her in the 1891 and 1901 Census.  Was Mary Ann married to a Mitchell?  She later marries a Mr. Grant.
Lastly, I was interested in Margaret Neisham's twins, who had the surname Douglas in the Census.  A year after the twins were born (illegitimately), Catherine McAllister (sister of George Mitchell McAllister above) gave birth to an illegitimate daughter named Mary Douglas.  I'd like to know who this unnamed Douglas was, who was fathering illegitimate children in Dumfries! 

Offline littleprince

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 May 12 19:15 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Cassells Neisham married James Mitchell, son of James Mitchell and Jessie Hutchinson on 4th July 1884 in Dumfries.
Elizabeth Neisham`s parents were definately George and Margaret, she is not the first person I have come across who have told some whopping lies on certificates.
Thomas Douglas is the reputed father of the Douglas twins, but I have no more info on him.
Saunderson- Dumfries, Edinburgh & South Africa
McClure, Neisham, Walls, Beck- Dumfries
Nicholson, Scott - Berwick upon Tweed
Ross- Dumfries, Peebles
McDonnell - Ireland, Co Durham
McGuire - Ireland, Co Durham

Offline imitchel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 13 May 12 17:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the Mitchell information.  This is helpful to me.
As far as Thomas Douglas being the reputed father, could you tell me the source of this information?
Your help is appreciated.   Irene.